Dforce Rope question

Hi All!

I am admittedly a relatively clueless novice when it comes to dforce, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. What I'm wondering is if with a rope prop for example, is it possible to basically stick one end of it to a surface (or anchor it i guess), so that it will drape down from there, but not move off of it at the end?

Thanks!

Comments

• FalcoFalco Posts: 240

This isn't answering your question at all, but I just wanted to chime in and say if you end up needing to do anything complicated with rope, I found doing the simulation in blender with some of the 3rd party plugins that exist and then importing it into Daz as a static prop ended up giving me a lot more control to be able to drape rope exactly how I wanted. 

• felisfelis Posts: 3,946

To answer your question.

If one end of a rope has 0 dynamic strength, it will stay where it starts, and the rest can fall from there.

But for simulating a rope it is best to have a simple geometry, and then apply a subD to make it round. Else there is a risk that the rope will collapse and get flat.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,530

Yes, as per a commonly-used method, you may add a dForce Modifier Weight Node on which you may paint weight / gradient smoothing to make the draping more controllable and natural. The finetune the properties on dynamic surface.

BTW, better use a rigged rope as you don't have to add dForce to it in most cases...

SNAG-2023-12-23-0066.png
    2560 x 1400 - 280K
    SNAG-2023-12-23-0065.png
    2560 x 1400 - 314K