[solved] Saving a prop made in daz using primitives ?

artxtapartxtap Posts: 157

how to save a ~"prop"~ made in daz using primitives as a 'Prop'??
With Moving Parts!

So I made a prop in daz using primitives, and saving it was/is very frustrating. I made it in daz because I could be sure that the scale would be right and other programs like hex, blender, etc would only add to the frustration. Because it is built from primitives I first tried groups, but daz does not like groups as props. Not only that the pivot/center point was all out of wack! After some searching I found a thread about exporting the parts as obj and importing back in. when the parts were reimporting they came back as the ‘cube’ nodes seen in the screen shot with the red, brown and blue arrows[the blue circle]. But guess what daz will not save more than one of those cubes as a prop! So I converted one than the other to figures, they had one bone. But again daz would not save more than one as a prop! I tried many, many combinations, none of which saved the item as it was meant to be. Imagine a table with a drawer that can be pulled opened. The table is made up of a  bunch of primitives and so is the drawer of course. I know there are other ~props~ with moving parts.
So I found a perfect example in the mountain rescue helicopter, this ~prop~ has many moving parts. At the top is a group bubble, so I know that this is not a “prop” because daz would not take that! In the file type it has it as scene_subset. But in the red circle it is labeled as a ‘prop’!? How did the PA get that there?? there is also another ‘setting/label’ called “set”.
Cool thing about the group bubbles is the item inside will not change it’s x,y,z or rotations as long as it is inside said bubble.
So how does one change the label from set, scene_subset, or whatever to Prop??

and changing the pivot/center point is also frustrating because it moves the item/primitive! is it possible to move a pivot/center point without moving the item/part?

https://www.daz3d.com/mountain-rescue-helicopter

help1ms.jpg
1366 x 706 - 175K
help2ms.jpg
1364 x 698 - 154K
help3ms.jpg
1366 x 689 - 167K
Post edited by artxtap on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,308
    edited December 2023

I wonder why some vendors would not like to rig Props as a single Figure... they didn't wanna spend time on that or they didn't know how to rig ? Anyway, it might be as per their preferences... who knows.

1) Always tick Parent Items In Place (SS 1) ~, the axis values of subitems won't change when parenting / unparenting ~

2) As for Prop and sub-set, they're different things. The former is a Content Type which you may define when saving Figure / Prop asset (SS 2). The latter is a File Type which is defined in user-facing file (duf file) as default when you save asset or Presets. So you can change Content Type when saving Figure/Prop asset, or right-click on the folder - Edit Metadata, in which you may change Content Type (SS 3 ). You have no way to change File Type in DS itself, but you may edit duf file with NotePad++, and change it as you wish. (SS 4)

3) As for Center / End point positions, at least on this heli, you cannot change them because they're still rigged with Rotation(s) as per their original positions, e.g. MRH Left Front Door... unless you wanna "re-rig" them ~~

SNAG-2023-12-22-0048.png
    518 x 1302 - 99K
    SNAG-2023-12-22-0046.png
    587 x 568 - 47K
    SNAG-2023-12-22-0049.png
    1050 x 1013 - 49K
    SNAG-2023-12-22-0047.png
    1238 x 626 - 34K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • artxtapartxtap Posts: 157
    edited December 2023

…?? the point I was making is that “file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s)..” is deceiving in that it will only save a blob (static object/prop[as pointed out in another thread]).
    Test: new scene:
    create a primitive cylinder save as prop: file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s).. fine you can bring it back.

Create another cylinder parent to first select both save as prop: file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s).. not fine only one comes back.

Parent as above than parented to group save as prop:file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s) [set figure/prop assets save options to:][set content type: prop] ..  not fine nothing in group.

The https://www.daz3d.com/mountain-rescue-helicopter was just a great example of a ‘prop’ not being saved as a ‘prop’.

My thing is just a table with a drawer that can be pulled opened.
    Which can not be saved as a ~prop~: file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s) because it is not a blob.

I saved it as scene subset, but now it has a green ‘set’ label in the icon.

I don’t think ss 4 changes the green label in the icon. The green label for the heli says 'prop' in the icon.

Post edited by artxtap on
  • I would personally export each object in the position you want the pivot point to be as an obj and reimport it

in this case the table then the drawer (hide what you don't want to export and check not hidden)

you can place the drawer on the floor at 0,0,0 in the position you want the pivot to be, likely the handle/knob

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I would personally export each object in the position you want the pivot point to be as an obj and reimport it

NICE CHEAT!!! i like it!!

• You can also use Scene assets. Figure/Prop is for one item, which is why it isn't Figure(s)/prop(s)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,308

artxtap said:

…?? the point I was making is that “file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s)..” is deceiving in that it will only save a blob (static object/prop[as pointed out in another thread]).
    Test: new scene:
    create a primitive cylinder save as prop: file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s).. fine you can bring it back.

Create another cylinder parent to first select both save as prop: file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s).. not fine only one comes back.

Parent as above than parented to group save as prop:file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s) [set figure/prop assets save options to:][set content type: prop] ..  not fine nothing in group.

The https://www.daz3d.com/mountain-rescue-helicopter was just a great example of a ‘prop’ not being saved as a ‘prop’.

My thing is just a table with a drawer that can be pulled opened.
    Which can not be saved as a ~prop~: file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s) because it is not a blob.

I saved it as scene subset, but now it has a green ‘set’ label in the icon.

I don’t think ss 4 changes the green label in the icon. The green label for the heli says 'prop' in the icon.

1st,  the vendor saved each Prop as Prop asset then grouped them as a "hierarchical" heli in the scene then save the Group as a Scene Subset with the name - Mountain Rescue Helicopter Complete.duf. Why ? just because the leli was not a single rigged figure. If it was, the vendor could've saved it as a Figure asset via  - File>Save as>Support Asset>Figure/Prop Asset(s)... while a pure Group or any hierarchical Props cannot go for this way. You either rig it as a Figure or export / re-import as a single Prop as Wendy mentioned, before saving Figure/Prop assets.

2nd, I've already shown you how to change a Content Type in Screenshot 3... Screenshot 4 is to change File Type. They're different things as I said above...

The default Content Type of a Scene Subset is "Set", follow below SSs to change it to Prop...

SNAG-2023-12-23-0055.png
    2560 x 1400 - 274K
    SNAG-2023-12-23-0056.png
    2560 x 1400 - 276K
    SNAG-2023-12-23-0058.png
    2560 x 1400 - 259K

thanks all, solved!

Richard Haseltine said:

You can also use Scene assets. Figure/Prop is for one item, which is why it isn't Figure(s)/prop(s)

that is the most important thing! your item can and will have many sub items but it must be made into one blob, export and imported in order to use file>save as>support asset>figure/prop asset(s).