Dforce spring collision offset thingy?

Hello,

Quick questions, sometime I get items where simulation takes a lot of time because some Spring collision offset calculation. It happens before simulation can take place and it takes more than a minute sometime. I am wondering what does it do actually, what causes it and in such cases, it necessary? Can I manage to bypass this step? ...Because as far as I can see, some items don't need it so you know. 

Thank you

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,212

DS finds all the springs where the distance is lower than collision distance.

You can either lower collision distance, or if self collision isn't needed, turn self collision off.

• felis said:

DS finds all the springs where the distance is lower than collision distance.

You can either lower collision distance, or if self collision isn't needed, turn self collision off.

The setting is in the Surfaces pane. Having a lot of active edges that are shorter than the minimum offset means the simulation will be fighting itself - it wants to reduce the dge lengths as far as possible to create the lowest energy state (that is how the simulation actually works) but it is also constantly stretching them out to be at least minimum offset, adding more energy to the system; if the energy input adds up faster than the simulation can diffuse it then you get and explosion. No note, however, that that is for active edges - sometimes you will get a slew of warnings but the simulation will run OK, in thiose cases it is often that the short edges are in areas that are rendered inactive via a weightmap

• TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172
    edited December 2023

Turning self collision off did not do it, but lowering Collision offset totally did - thank you @Felis :)

@Richard_Haseltine I actually understood this... For once ^^ - thanks

Post edited by TheCediz on