I'm trying Heroic Fantasy ... ^^'

Here are the 2 first tries about Fantasy. I have to polish the style , but the idea seems to be here... 

Feel  free to give critics , it's always from critics so that we can progress :) 

Comments

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

Wow, these are gorgeous! I can tell you're a Frazetta fan. Your female character is beautifully readable, but the male figure's silhouette is harder to decipher, and I couldn't spot the monster in the second image at first. I think you could turn your composition and readability up a notch by examining Frazetta again and considering how he uses lighter backgrounds (often blazes of color from smoke or fire) to make darker figures pop. Lots of his "armored figure on horse" type paintings have examples of this. These are still great, though, and it's cool to see someone invoking Frazetta's style in DS.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,783

Beautiful light, colours, and post work! And I like your use of negative space.

I think you can improve the posing. The body language of your characters is pretty strong, but.

The damsel holding on to the male hero's leg is not my favourite pose, but I understand that it's a classic. But for it to work I feel the entire composition needs to be more like a pulpy book cover. Your scenes here seem more like "in media res" to me, like it's in the middle of a story as opposed to characters posing on a cover. And in that context the "holding on to the leg" pose just seems a little silly to me. Just my very subjective two cents.

Also, in the first picture it looks like the hero is pulling the ladie's pony tail, which is a little weird.

A great start, hope to see more of your work!

• MaloneXIMaloneXI Posts: 145
    I'm super proud that you detected that I was a Frazetta fan. In fact, I'm trying to start something like this. Yes, it needs to be refined, and I need to collect some artbooks from Frazetta and other artists of the same genre to be able to do something good.Great thanks for your comment !
    Thanx a lot, too, hylas ! Yep, it's just à first try. I must work more and be attentive to détails. I just wanted to make a pic with this kind of light without waiting. ^^
  • David RDavid R Posts: 214

Extraordinary!

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

MaloneXI said:

Here are the 2 first tries about Fantasy. I have to polish the style , but the idea seems to be here...

MaloneXI,

Looks good! Will it go into your next comics, a sword-and-sorcery saga? 

Cheers!

Raaah thanx you all !! Cssa, yep it's possible. I just have to find a good storyline. I would do something like that :)
    edited December 2023

An other one :) 

The crab is a bit low detailed , I have to make a pass on it. But yeah , "in the style of" , lighting the background elements allows to detach the subject. 
    Knowing that , it's a pretty cool technic , but I don't want to "copy" the style. I have to find my own way to make a kind of lighting signature" in my scenes. 
    But , in some days , I'll read all the art books of these amazing artists , take notes, and extract the best I can ^^'. 

Post edited by MaloneXI on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 812

MaloneXI said:

An other one :) 

The crab is a bit low detailed , I have to make a pass on it. But yeah , "in the style of" , lighting the background elements allows to detach the subject. 
    Knowing that , it's a pretty cool technic , but I don't want to "copy" the style. I have to find my own way to make a kind of lighting signature" in my scenes. 
    But , in some days , I'll read all the art books of these amazing artists , take notes, and extract the best I can ^^'. 

MaloneXI,

I've seen this techniqued used in landscape illustration, "atmospheric perspective" they call it, I think. The idea is to offset the subject (on the foreground) from the background elements. It's sort of like DOF and blurring in photography. It's a neat technique -- very creative. It's certainly a reminder that we can take a 3D render a few notches higher with personal touches.

Cheers!

edited December 2023

Yep, you're totally right. I use it in photography. It directly comes from Impressionism artists who have learnt it from analysing reality, and so the atmospheric fog. It's still a photo technic. But more of that, Frazetta used it most of the time.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256
    edited December 2023

Oh, I think you nailed it. The knight is super readable, not just because he has a strong silhouette, but because he's the area of highest contrast in the image and his blue gambeson pops against all that tan. I appreciate the way his feet still feel integrated into the ground he's standing on, though. Not sure if that's an actual dust cloud in the 3D scene, or if it's reflections or postwork or what; doesn't matter, what matters is that it looks good in the final product. The giant crab is a really funny choice (it reminds me of John Brosio, a surrealist who sometimes paints giant crabs menacing everyday urban landscapes) but I also think it's a better version of the huge orc in your second piece up above -- more readable, but still integrated into the environment in a way that seems massive and elemental and menacing.

(As a side note, it is super gratifying for me to give someone a note on their art and have them turn around and incorporate it into a new piece the next day. I hope you feel great about this render, because I sure do.)

Post edited by Ninefold on
    edited December 2023

Wow , your comment will make me blush, friend ^^
    The giant grab could have been a Brosio's tribute  for sure ! But it's not. When I was a kid , I've read many artbooks of theses artists that my father baught in london. And there was , beside the cover , a picture of a giant crab attacking legions of wich no details were given, lost in the dust raised by the divin animal. Hypnotic. 

This one : 

OF course , Paul Lehr. This picture haunted me for years. The graphic atmoshpere , the composition , the sound of the scene. I don't know... Something about nightmare. 

And I wanted to mix the blurry memories. 

Sure, the technic borrowed from masters like Lehr or Frazetta, and many others , is THE solution. Detaching the subject from the rest of the composition through strong contrasts is kind of ...logical. But I have the feeling that I'm stealing this composition way. That's why I have to bring back all these artbooks from my parents to my home :D These masters of oil painting never had to be ashamed of the other great masters of painting history. I place them exactly on the same plane. 

As you thought, yes, I am very proud to have succeeded in my attempt :D But more of that , I'm proud that DAZ made it possible with some modifications with tablet , scripts, etc. With some practice, I'm sure I can find my own composition style , lighting , etc. 

Before all , hats off for all this artists generation which allowed oil painting, sometimes judged as aging, to resume its golden letters while continuing to amaze more contemporary eras.

It's pure pleasure to try to do my best transcribing the visions §I had as a child reading these illustrations books :) 

Thanx a lot , dude for your comment, deeply :)

Another little one , but I'm not satisfied. I wanted to do more complicated , and ...in some point of view , I managed lol. 

Well , see ya after Xmas holidays ! 

I love the painterly quality of these.

Thanx mate :)
    edited December 2023

Hey there. 

I hope your xmas night was really great :) Mine was cool. My father gave me a part of his artbooks about Frazetta , Segrelles , Lehr , Foss ,etc. 
    So I'm starting my deep analysis of all these oil painting works :) 

To finish the year , here is wip that fans about the kind will surely remember :) 

[Image removed]

I'll come back with others works in january :)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,783

Ohhh, treasures!

Amazing render! Pretty sure it's against the TOS, though :/

The TOS ? I don't have the subtility of english language unfortunately ^^'. My english is a bit rusty for now ...

Oh ok , the rules about nudity ? I didn't think about it :/ Do I have to censor some zones ?

I've heard that the rules in the forums are somewhat more lax than in the gallery.  A rendering similar to the painting you posted would never pass muster in the gallery.  laugh

David R said:

I've heard that the rules in the forums are somewhat more lax than in the gallery.  A rendering similar to the painting you posted would never pass muster in the gallery.  laugh

Oh ok , thanx a lot !! Good to know !  

I have permited myself to modify the picture that just have been deleted by the moderator. I think it should be ok , now. 

And here is an other one , still on Frazetta style :) 

You're not messing around with the nudity here, even if it's about art. So bad, this closes the renderings to anything that could touch on Renaissance or this kind of times. I understand anyway , of course. 

• No, sticking some kind of sticker over the problem areas does not make the image OK - and in this case it is an act of vandalism to boot. The only way to get the image past would be to add some intrinsic-to-the-image to the image bats in strategic places, or just give them some not-too-filmy drapes. Acceptable Ways of Handling Nudity

mmm ok I understand. But you can delete the post if you want to , I don't want to modify my pictures . 
    I'll care more about the nudity in the future works . Thanx for the explanation :)

I hope this one is ok. I have a version without the drape on her ...well , you know.

Yep , I continue , to refine the style over the course of the work. 

Are these your original works?  Are they DAZ or paintings?

Hi David. These are original works. Inspired by an artist named Frank Frazetta, a painting master in Heroic Fantasy style. They are renders, painted over with my graphic tablet, some scripts etc. But no AI or neural filters. All handmade :)
  • MaloneXI Your work is just amazing! The lighting (!!!), composition and then the postwork is just WOW. I've been looking at your images in this thread over the last few days and just love where you're taking this and that you want to develop your personal take on this style. 

I have only rarely come across Frazetta or similar fantasy imagery growing up, but even a few here and there is enough to form a strong memory of the style and be impressed. Anyway, I felt super inspired seeing your renders and terribly compelled to steal some inspiration from you. laugh I managed to thumb through a couple of Frazetta collected works quickly... and wouldn't mind trying some amateur things distantly inspired by Frazetta's style. wink

I came across your previous thread of your comic book some months back and didn't get round to leave a comment. But it was so atmospheric and again very very inspiring. Beautifully done. Thanks for sharing these. And I hope you share more of your work here as you explore and refine this new direction in your style.

Do you already have a storyline in mind for what you want to do for this?

edited December 2023

SapphireBlue , great thanx for your comment :) It'a pleasure to read kind words about my work :) 

I'm focus on Frazetta , and no other , because of his mastery about oil painting and lighting technics. Similar to some painters like Vallejo , he gives a kind of studio lighting and like we said upper in the thread , his subjects are easily detaching thaks to that. A kind of hierarchy, in fact. And the lighting for me is 80% of a composition. It's giving to a work all its ...soul. Feel free to steal , dear. I'm "copying" some of his compositions to learn more about how he is thinking the space, in the paintings.

My ..."touch" lives in the post work. I could paint with oil painting , but I'm really a 3D fan, and more , Daz Studio fan, wich allows a complete freedom with its cameras, focals , etc. I did'nt want to do a "clean" or extra realistic render , like iray allows us to do. I wanted to give the works an arty touch , with brushs traces, splatters , etc. Like in my 3 tomes comic books , as you saw it. The idea is to keep full control on the scenes, and post work them in photoshop and my wacom tablet to give the render some true feelings, a nervosity over the composition, such an "artistic neurosis" . To not only be satisfied with a simple result, however cool it may be. 

So feel free to steal :) Feel free to open art books of him. I've bought some figures , like orc hd , and some barbarian outfils , to try to get as close as possible to the style of his characters, stealing his poses , and readapt with my vision. You can do the same, of course :) Keep in mind that it's really intersting to dirty the final result , once you are ok with your render , the frame , camera , lighting atmo. For me , in this case , the 3D render is a base. Nothing more , nothing less.

Thanx for your remark about my comic , it's a firt try , it's not perfect, but it's the first one of this style that I'm doing from start to finish ^^'. Storyboard , assets gathering , scenery analysis , etc. And it was damn great :D

Regarding of the next project, no, I don't have a story yet. Heroic fantasy is not my ...World. I'm a bit more SciFi. But I wanted to change , just to try. But believe me , finding my own style was verrryyyyyyy difficicult , and asked me months of tries , reboots, remakes , etc. I think I'm neaf of what I have imagined months ago :) 

Thanx a lot for you comment. And feel free to ask me for help , if you need to. 

I'm not a big fan of this one. Too much empty space , etc. But mm... That's the global idea...Giant crow , rided by a kind of knight... I have to remake it to be more ...Efficient . 

And another one , for the day before 2024 : 

I'm a bit prouder about this one. :) 

May I've neutralized a bit too much the light , but I like the foggy atmo, this shiny green to make some "cliché" about horreful atmosphere... 
    Unfortunately , my CG does not allow more than a certain numer of G8 figures on the scenes. I'll see how to create epic scenes with many characters inside the scene , but I'm not really positie about it... 

• ZiconZicon Posts: 183

This is some amazing work.