Looking for this kind of Asian dress - Sbai/Sabai

I am looking to see if anyone knows of any products that would resemble this kind of clothing? It's a kind of traditional/formal Thai garment (also in Cambodia and Laos) but there are multiple ways to wear it that are more or less so.

d6fb91c4f261921c4ea718a2a5dd96d7.jpg
624 x 960 - 94K

Comments

• I can't find anything of the sort.

This vendor does some ethnic clothing. Perhaps you may be able to cobble something together with parts of their outfits.

https://www.daz3d.com/wsmonkeyking

The other thing you could try is searching Asian, Eastern, or Indian and then narrowing the search down to clothing. Again, you may find bits and pieces you can cobble together. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

That is a lovely outfit and sazzyazzca is right if anyone would create it, it would be the PA wsmonkeyking. I hope they pay attention because the top alone is gorgeous.

I am not familiar with Renderosity, so have no idea if anyone over there is doing the same quality of work and focus. Maybe someone else on the forums knows?

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2023

If you look closely at the top,  it does seem to be a long rectangular fabric with pleats that wraps around the torso and then drapes over the shoulder and down the arm.  Hopefully someone will tackle it. Those with Marvelous Designer could too. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

I would have to seriously up my game in MD. My pleats too often go haywire and after days of crying, sulking, and then coming back to it, I finally figure out where I messed up. And never remember for the next time. I am a sad, sad case.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

For what it's worth, I would probably do the pleats with a normal or displacement map. The resulting garment is a little more versatile, since you can just turn that map off and have a garment made of unpleated fabric, as some sbai are.

Anyway, this is pretty, and I might take a stab at it after the holidays if no one else has yet. soulstorm.paradox, do you want just the sbai, or do you want a lower-body garment as well? Do you want a chong kben, or what?

• Ninefold said:

For what it's worth, I would probably do the pleats with a normal or displacement map. The resulting garment is a little more versatile, since you can just turn that map off and have a garment made of unpleated fabric, as some sbai are.

Anyway, this is pretty, and I might take a stab at it after the holidays if no one else has yet. soulstorm.paradox, do you want just the sbai, or do you want a lower-body garment as well? Do you want a chong kben, or what?

Real pleats will allow the garment to spread out, duisplaced geometry or normal maps wouldn't.

I'm talking about the pleats on the sbai itself, not the ones on the skirt. The pleats on a sbai aren't structural.

• Ninefold said:

Ideally a full outfit, a chong kben or similar would be excellent, but even just the sbai could be kitbashed into a lot of things and look very beautiful. Thank you so much!

Gotcha. See you back here in early January!