Help with Bruises

geordiesharpgeordiesharp Posts: 152

I have this https://www.daz3d.com/lie-body-bruises-for-genesis-3-and-8-males    LIE Bruises for Genesis 3 and 8 Males. Which works great, but my problem is that I want to use it for Genesis 8.1 male, I have tried geoshells, converting the materials, trying to convert the character to Gen 8, but nothing works. I can not use this for GEN 8.1, the legs, arms, and some of the torso stuff work great, but around the neck ( where the maps have been split ) they dont work.

Does anyone have any ideas, or alternatives for bruises on GEN 8.1 ? I have looked but nothing really looks like these do.

Cheers

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,730

You can Map Transfer torso maps to G8.1 UV.

• Moved to Technical Help as it si more a question about product use than a Product Suggestion.

• Hey Gordig, I tried to map transfer materials from 8.1 to 8.0, but it did not work, i dont know if it will work that way round, so is it possible to transfer the LIE bruises to 8.1 using map transfer, or something like it?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,730

Have you tried applying the LIE presets to an 8.1 figure with a G8 texture set? Or a geoshell set to G8 UV?

• Hey Gordig, Applying the LIE with G8 textures, would work but the skin I want to use on the character is G8.1, and a geoshell set to G8 UV, works, but when I apply the LIE on the neck area, it over writes the textures, so the bruises appear but the skin is all white :( I appreciate the help, Sorry I have to be difficult. :) 

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256
    edited December 2023

Have you tried converting the maps of the G8.1 character you want to use to G8, manually slotting them into a G8 figure's materials, then applying the LIE presets? That seems like it should work. If you haven't seen it, markusmatern's Map Transfer tutorial is very helpful. Just do these steps backwards, essentially.

Post edited by Ninefold on
  • Thanks for the reply Ninefold, I did try to map transfer the textures and it did not work however the tur=torial you linked seems different in the way I did it, maybe I did it wrong, I'll try again, Thanks again :) 

• @geordiesharp, thanks for the support in buying our bruises. I had been planning on creating a product for use in 8.1 but that's around when Genesis 9 came into the scene and we ended up having to re-work our to-do-list. I still plan to update the bruises for Genesis 9 and will probably work on a better version for G8 using geoshells so it can be compatible with 8.1 too.

That said, if you want to go the geoshell route, you will need to:

1. Create a Geoshell on 8.1 and ensure all the skin has the Genesis 8 UVs.
    2. Create a selection set and call it Torso, then have that select automatically the Head and Body surfaces.
    3. When applying the LIE to the geoshell, it should add the torso maps to both surfaces.
    4. Once you have all the bruises set up, you'll want to create an opacity map so that they show up properly.

If you have any of our Soft Skin Transition Products (like this one, for example, https://www.daz3d.com/soft-skin-transitions-for-genesis-8-and-81-males). You can use the "SSTM 01 Apply Trans Shell to 8.1M with 8M UVs" Geoshell and skip all the steps above. You can use that geoshell to add the bruises directly to it since it's all set up.

• Fenixphoenix, thanks for the reply, the transitions assets looks great, as far as the geoshells go, I have tried to follow your instructions, however I can not use the skin I want and set up the geoshell with G8 UV's, usually it just as simple as copying the BODY surface to the HEAD surface and then switch to G8 UV's, however this character has a NECK type surface maps, which goes in the HEAD surface, and if its the UV's are switched to G8.0 this map does not fit correctly, and if the BODY surface is copied to HEAD, in G8.0 UV's nothing appears at all, so I am stuck :( I might try to MAP TRANSFER, the surfaces, but I tried it before and it did not work :( 

The character skin I am using is "DEX Ethan for Genesis 8.1 Male" by Dexon3d, over on Renderhub.

Thanks for all your help.

• So just to add to the issue, I have tried map transfer with the character I want, and the torso maps appear black, and I tried to follow FENIXPHOENIX instructions on other GEN8.1 characters and the default GEN8.1 BASIC MALE, and all the characters have a specific map for the HEAD area, and as with the ETHAN character this map does not fit correctly under GEN 8.0 UV's, and if replaced by BODY surface nothing appears.  either I am not doing this correctly, or what I am trying to do is not possible, which is crazy, as I have had great results using G8 UV's on G8.1 female characters before using geoshells and the same process, so don't know :(

• Hi Geordiesharp,

Yeah, the only way to do it is to apply the bruises to a Geoshell and then manually create a cutout opacity mask for it to show. You don't want to add the character's skin to the new Geoshell. So, the process (which will be extensive and, depending on how comfortable you are with 2D editors, may be complex) would be as follows:

1. Create a Geoshell on 8.1 and ensure all the skin has the Genesis 8 UVs.
      • In the parameters tab, you want to go to visibility > surfaces > and toggle off surfaces unrelated to the skin.
      • Then, in the surface tab, you'll want to create a selection set and call it Torso. This selection set should tick the boxes of Head and Body surfaces.
      • As I mentioned, if you have any transition products, you can use the G8 UVs on 8.1 Geoshell, already set up.
    2. Now that you have the Geoshell ready, you want to apply the LIE directly onto the Geoshell.
      • The LIE should start building a PNG mask on the Diffuse Channel.
    3. Once you apply all the bruises, you'll want to create an opacity map off the diffuse map.
      • Get the diffuse image(s) by clicking on each one (per surface) > browse to get to the locations of where in your temp folder it was baked).
      • Create a copy of those images. Then, open each one in a 2D Editor. Use those to create a white mask with a black background. White = what will be seen, while black = what will be invisible. So, the bruises should be white here.
      • Save those out somewhere on your computer.
    4. Return to DAZ and manually input each opacity mask into the cutout opacity channel of the Geoshell. Remember that you must do this for all the surfaces where bruises are showing.
    5. You'll want to adjust the settings on the gloss so the bruises don't appear shiny.

Unlike our LIE Bruises, this is the process in which we set up these bruises products https://www.daz3d.com/hd-bite-marks-bruised-add-on-for-genesis-8-and-81-males and https://www.daz3d.com/hd-bite-marks-bruised-add-on-for-genesis-8-and-81-female wherein everything is applied to a Geoshell rather than onto the character's skins. This made it possible to cater to both Genesis 8 and Genesis 8.1.

We do intend to revisit the LIE Bruises series and re-creat the product using a Geoshell instead so they can be used on Genesis 8.1. And, of course, we plan to have them also available for Genesis 9. But right now, I do not have an ETA on that.

• Fenixphoenix, Thanks for the reply, and the in depth instructions, I will try my best to follow the instructions, and hopefully using gimp I can sort things out, as you can tell me knowledge of all things DAZ etc is limited, and is far surpassed by most people, I appreciate all the help everyone has offered, and we will have to see what I can do.