How would you make normal maps?

I'm good with Photoshop, but DAZ content creation is not my thing. My goal create a custom texture using a photo. Something fairly simple. I can take an existing asset and edit the image for the base color, no problem. What I don't know is how to create the matching normal map.

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,371
    edited December 2023

I guess two ways:

1) If you are making Normal maps that are corresponding to details from a high-resolution sculpt, e.g., if you sculpted a really high detail character and then you want to put that high-res sculpted detail on the low-res Genesis 9 base mesh, you can "bake" out a normal texture map from the high res mesh to the low res mesh, using software like Blender, or xNormal, Substance Painter, topogun, zbrush, or many others.

2) You can fake normal map details (i.e., derive them artificially) from a 2d image by using photomanipulation, e.g., one of the below options:

• Artificial Intelligence
    • Materialize software (or Filter Forge)
    • Manually paint them (in something like Substance Painter or Photoshop)
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,833

Last Christmas Totte (Code 66) gave a freebie product that creates normal maps from bump or diffuse, right inside Daz Studio.

I also use an NVIDIA photoshop plugin to create normal maps in Photoshop CS6.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

lilweep said:

I guess two ways:

1) If you are making Normal maps that are corresponding to details from a high-resolution sculpt, e.g., if you sculpted a really high detail character and then you want to put that high-res sculpted detail on the low-res Genesis 9 base mesh, you can "bake" out a normal texture map from the high res mesh to the low res mesh, using software like Blender, or xNormal, Substance Painter, topogun, zbrush, or many others.

2) You can fake normal map details (i.e., derive them artificially) from a 2d image by using photomanipulation, e.g., one of the below options:

Nothing so complicated. I just want to make a Halloween pie.

barbult said:

Last Christmas Totte (Code 66) gave a freebie product that creates normal maps from bump or diffuse, right inside Daz Studio.

I also use an NVIDIA photoshop plugin to create normal maps in Photoshop CS6.

I need to look up that plugin.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,371
    edited December 2023

lou_harper said:

lilweep said:

I guess two ways:

Nothing so complicated. I just want to make a Halloween pie.

How is materialize complicated?

Edit: link https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

Post edited by lilweep on

lilweep said:

How is materialize complicated?

Edit: link https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

What I meant is G9 and such. Thanks for the link.

• If you have (or can make) a greyscale bump or displacement map image, you can create a normal map from it here: https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/