DAZ2UE : Exporting Morphs resets the applied morphs [RESOLVED]

phagan_hkphagan_hk Posts: 17
edited December 2023 in Unreal Discussion

TLDR;
Is there way to prevent DAZ from resetting all exported morphs to zero on export?
OR
Is there a way to have UE read the settings of the various positions of the Morphs defined in DAZ import and apply them on import?
-------------------------------------------------------
I created a Gen9 Base character and customized it with a selection of Blendshapes (e.g. Morphs).
Let's say "Body Heavy" (amongst many others) and crank it up.
[DAZ2UE_01.png]

On the export screen I say "Export morphs"  and I choose the morphs I would like to have access to in Unreal 
[DAZ2UE_02.png]
A select bunch of pose morphs and I include "Body Heavy" (Just that one for this image example)
[DAZ2UE_03.png]

When DAZ exports them it REMOVES my setting for "Body Heavy" (and any other applied morphs that I selected for export) so on import to UE, I end up with just a blank Gen9 Base character.
[DAZ2UE_04.png]

You can see it happen on the export in DAZ.. the Character "Pops" all the morphs off, and then they "Pop" back on after export making you think you just exported you shape when indeed you have not.
Now I need to go into Unreal and set each of the morphs (e.g. "Body Heavy")  back to what they were in DAZ to get the character to look correct again.
[DAZ2UE_05.png]
Imagine doing this for several hunderd finely tuned Morphs.

Is there a setting someplace that I am missing?
Thoughts?

DAZ2UE_01.png
1002 x 754 - 228K
DAZ2UE_02.png
503 x 239 - 21K
DAZ2UE_03.png
795 x 739 - 54K
DAZ2UE_05.png
1006 x 723 - 400K
Post edited by phagan_hk on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

Have you tried memorizing the figure before exporting?

• phagan_hkphagan_hk Posts: 17
    edited December 2023

Hi PerttiA,

I had not tried "Memorize" before.
    That is a cheeky little option with no documention. laugh
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/action/index/dzmemorizefigureposeaction/start

I just tried it on Paramaters, on Shaping, and on "selected items" (after selecting all morphs)
    None of that seemed to work... Still pops to a base Gen9 on export and pops back to the shape I wanted to export once it's done exporting.

Any clue the correct way to use that for a good result?

I also just noticed... it is changing the Skeleton in the process and this never recovers.
    In the photos you can see it is totally fine and just the way I want it [BEFORE] and then tweeked [After].

I can also confirm - it does not act like this when exporting direct to FBX.

Before.png
    232 x 172 - 16K
    After.png
    247 x 147 - 18K
  • phagan_hkphagan_hk Posts: 17
    edited December 2023

Thank you PerttiA,

Indeed the "popping" of the shape can be solved with "Memorize".
    I have found that I need to use the top menu and not the one in the panes:

Edit/Figure/Memorize
    First do “figure”
    Then do “shape”
    Then do “Figure” again

Otherwise it will not work (through trial and error)
    There is NO indication in the app that you have done any "Memorizing" other then looking at the undo menu.
    There seems to NO documentation on what "Memorize" does... so the only way to know this is through forum or word of mouth.

1/2 fixed though:
    This does not solve the rig issue on export, so I will mark "shape" resolved for anyone else having the popping shape issue.
    See a new thread for "rigging"
    And in case you were wondering...Neither "Memorize rig" nor "adjust rig to shape" work.