Any way of Carrara working out the surface area of an object?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
edited December 2023 in Carrara Discussion

Hi Brain Bank :)

say I have a flat irregular plane (think a surfboard fin plan or a random shape).

Was wondering if there was any way in Carrara to get an automatic area measurement of it - rather then counting sq cm's by eyeball?

thanks in advance ;)

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,880
    edited December 2023

a 3D printer slicer program should do this

Meshmixer could do it if you still have that

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

thanks Wendy, will check in those, was hoping carrara had a hidden talent ;)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,762
    edited December 2023

Do you have a CAD program ?

Did a screenshot of your pic, saved as jpg.

Opened CAD, went to Insert an image

Once image was in drew a reference line and obtained the length

Worked out the scale ratio assumming a 15cm length

Applied scale to inserted image

Drew a Polyline around the fin

Clicked on Polyline to get the Area, which was 74.084 cm2

EDIT - LibreCAD is free, was able to get a Polyline area out of it but was not as User-friendly as CorelCAD which I obtained through a Humble Bundle package.

CAD 1.png
    1903 x 924 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited December 2023

LibreCad - just tried exporting a cube primitive from Carrara as a dxf file.

LibreCAD can import a Block which is a dxf file. File - Import - Block

Then Tools - Info - Polygonal Area - trace around the area you want, and read off the Area value in the Command Line

If you need more details about this method just yell !!!

LibreCAD dxf area 1.png
    1918 x 1035 - 99K
    edited December 2023

Polygon Trial

Quick Carrara model

LibreCAD

NOTE - I have not checked any issues with unit differences in the conversion, will do if you are interested ....

DXF 1.png
    2263 x 1033 - 474K
    DXF 2.png
    1921 x 1040 - 121K

Thanks Bunyip 02 :) Very kind of you to go to all that trouble and making such a clear walk through! . Ah the areas just need to be relative rather than absolute. The idea is to compare fin areas, so to take a planshape and tweak it but still keep the same overall area.

I have a few free cad programs plus amateur autocad, I'll check those out ! Thanks for the idea and I'll keep an eye out for humble bundle corel cad.

I see they are doing Christmassy things at the moment.

Bloody hot today!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,815

ahh... you need to find the area under a curve and above the x-axis modeled by function f(x) in the domain interval x within [a,b]. This method requires knowledge of integral calculus.

this little duck has NFI cool

Stezza said:

ahh... you need to find the area under a curve and above the x-axis modeled by function f(x) in the domain interval x within [a,b]. This method requires knowledge of integral calculus.

this little duck has NFI cool

ha ha you sound like the research gate papers I have been reading on aerodynamics for the last two months - people get grants for anything - like some guys figured out if you put more support under the part where you stand on a hollow surfbaord then it flexes less :)

edited December 2023

random pic showing vortex generators (left fin) and passive leading edge slots  (both fins)  - carefully sanded ha ha 

the little holes at the rear of left  fin are supposed to be for inducing a passive venturi to reattache the laminar boundary layer at high angles of attack - well that wa s my idea anyway ;)

let you know if it works  (probably work better if I sanded themproperly)

the grooves are supposed to interrupt the spanwise flow and reduce the induced vortex drag coming off the tip where the high and low pressure ares try to mingle - kind of like winglets on air-o-planes

20231206_180942.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • be careful mate heart

lots of sharks munching on people lately

WendyLuvsCatz said:

be careful mate heart

lots of sharks munching on people lately

I have the new invisability cloak the Chinese just invented :) Thanks for the warning. Had a surf tother day surrounded by about  thirty dolphins and their babies . That was interesting. The buggers never look where they are going. Too busy showing off

Hi Wendy did you mean Meshlab? found this How to Measure Surface Area of a Mesh | Foundry Community   - you need to divide by two to get the correct answer in sq cm ?

Couldn't see in in my Cura slicer though

edited December 2023

Headwax said:

Thanks Bunyip 02 :) Very kind of you to go to all that trouble and making such a clear walk through! . Ah the areas just need to be relative rather than absolute. The idea is to compare fin areas, so to take a planshape and tweak it but still keep the same overall area.

I have a few free cad programs plus amateur autocad, I'll check those out ! Thanks for the idea and I'll keep an eye out for humble bundle corel cad.

Bloody hot today!

Check that you can import a dxf file in your CAD programs, most will have the Polyline/area hidden away some-where. I used AutoCAD all the time when I was working as a Design Drafter many years ago.

Meshlab sounds interesting as well.

Definately hot, been on my laptop as my graphics computer does not like the heat apart from a few hours early in the morning or late at night, and I am not a morning person normally !!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,880
    edited December 2023

possibly both do it

Meshlab does do a lot of things but it was Meshmixer, I recall it having this function and Google confirms it

https://meshmixer.com/

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 2023

Did a comparision of Meshlab and MeshMixer both of which I have installed on my Graphics Computer

Meshlab

Edit - Select Faces in a Rectangular Region

Filters - Quality Measure and Computations - Compute Area/Perimeter of Selection

MeshMixer - could not find anything obvious for Surface Area, mind you I am only using the program for the first time

MeshLab Global Hawk 1.png
    1923 x 1043 - 130K
    MeshMixer Global Hawk 1.png
    796 x 766 - 121K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited December 2023

Here is a suggestion for volume of oddly shaped objects that has only a small chance of success - but not crazy talk.  Start with a 1unit x1unit x 1unit cube and stack them vertically to build a tall water tank.  Use a shader to demark the vertical side of the cube in 10 steps or 100, or whatever level of accuracy you need.  Fill with a Fluidos amount of water bigger than your object.  Take your object and lower it into the fluidos tank.  Note how high the water level goes on the calibrated tank.  Subtract the initial level.  Calculate volume of odd shaped object from difference.

- So much can be wrong about this suggestion!  The internal math of Fluidos might not work this way at all.  Or, the way in which Fluidos simulates the flow of water might not take into account volume of water.  Even if the internal math of Fluidos could work this way in an appropriate program, Carrara physics might not.  I haven't tried this, and I have not used Fluidos enough to have a guess if this would work.

EDIT:  The metric based world should be able to choose a unit that converts easily to a volume.  Meters to liters, or whatever.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • under Stability 

edited December 2023

Thanks Wendy !!! Not an obvious place to hide it !

MeshMixer Global Hawk 2.png
    798 x 770 - 101K
    edited December 2023

Diomede said:

Here is a suggestion for volume of oddly shaped objects that has only a small chance of success - but not crazy talk.  Start with a 1unit x1unit x 1unit cube and stack them vertically to build a tall water tank.  Use a shader to demark the vertical side of the cube in 10 steps or 100, or whatever level of accuracy you need.  Fill with a Fluidos amount of water bigger than your object.  Take your object and lower it into the fluidos tank.  Note how high the water level goes on the calibrated tank.  Subtract the initial level.  Calculate volume of odd shaped object from difference.

- So much can be wrong about this suggestion!  The internal math of Fluidos might not work this way at all.  Or, the way in which Fluidos simulates the flow of water might not take into account volume of water.  Even if the internal math of Fluidos could work this way in an appropriate program, Carrara physics might not.  I haven't tried this, and I have not used Fluidos enough to have a guess if this would work.

EDIT:  The metric based world should be able to choose a unit that converts easily to a volume.  Meters to liters, or whatever.

Looks like Headwax is spoilt for choices now !!!  - 1 Cubic metre = 1000 Litre

A typical Australian would use the 'ROE' method. wink

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Deskartes 3D Data expert (free) also has some tools for volume and surface area.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

possibly both do it

Meshlab does do a lot of things but it was Meshmixer, I recall it having this function and Google confirms it

https://meshmixer.com/

thank you Wendy

Stezza said:

ha ha I had to google it. I hated maths at uni. The last purely maths thing I did I got 49 out of 50 first semester and 1.5 out of 50 the second semester. So I luckily passed...

cdordoni said:

Deskartes 3D Data expert (free) also has some tools for volume and surface area.

thanks that looks very interesting will check it out ! Deskartes 3D Data expert

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

Bloody hot today!

Check that you can import a dxf file in your CAD programs, most will have the Polyline/area hidden away some-where. I used AutoCAD all the time when I was working as a Design Drafter many years ago.

Meshlab sounds interesting as well.

Definately hot, been on my laptop as my graphics computer does not like the heat apart from a few hours early in the morning or late at night, and I am not a morning person normally !!!

thanks will check that DXF , yes I like to sleep in till 7.00 am but that sun blasts in at 5.30 :( :)

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

Looks like Headwax is spoilt for choices now !!!  - 1 Cubic metre = 1000 Litre

thanks for those walkthrough and yes, spoilt for choice! Better than the opposite :)

Diomede said:

wow, that's a bit of lateral thinking! When i get my head around Fluiodos again I will try it :)

just ran an obj through meshlab and meshmixer and got the same area - so that's a relief :)

Stezza said:

laugh

= Rack Of Eye