dForce and Pointy/Elf Ears

I have read a lot of these types of posts and even watched an SY video showing elf ears with hair.  Please know these two facts:

1. I have already gone to perameters on Ears and told it not to bebe visible in Simulation, both the left and right ear.

2. I have already "Shown Hidden Properties" and set both the ear morphs to 0.0%.

Unfortunately, when I run the simulation the hair still falls on the pointy ears.  Now, there is one thing I would say.  There are actually 3 ear morphs being used, and in the Hidden morphs, only 2 show up, again, both zeroed out.  The other one is called PHM Ktarya Ears Elf, but those ears do not show up.  So, any ideas what I should do?

Untitled-1.png
875 x 493 - 644K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Which hair are you using?

• Primavera Hair with dForce is the hair, I guess I should have mentioned that.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,169

This hair is a bit unique, as Linday set an initial shape for the hair so as to make it a better draping. However for some specifice cases, it'll be somewhat troublesome... so it depends.

A couple of ways  - 1) Zero Elf Ears morph(s), even Elf character head morph first, simulate then dial them back. 2) If you own Mesh Grabber, drag to refine it after simulation. 3) Fix it in external application and import back... 4) User a helper or dForce Magnet to drap / push the hair around the ears on the timeline when simulating.

Attached is by option 2)...

SNAG-2023-12-7-0054.png
    2017 x 1398 - 809K
  • In my case when I put it back, the hair just moves back into place. Ultimately I just won't use this hair, but I appreciate the help. Unfortunately I make a living by creating adult video games using Daz, and this character would be appearing very often. I won't be able to do all this extra rigmarole or else my production time will suffer greatly and that would cause me to lose money. So today I'll just look at other hairs, that's too bad but it's good to know. Thank you.
  • ElorElor Posts: 1,095
    edited December 2023

I don't know if can be useful with a dForce hair (and there is maybe a better solution someone more knowledgeable about Daz will provide), but I had a similar problem with non dForce hair and I solved it by:

1. duplicating the character (keeping the duplicated version in the same place, the same pose)
    2. removing the pointy ears from that duplicate
    3. fitting the hairs on the duplicate
    4. hidding the duplicate's body.

So the non dForce hairs stopped taking into account the presence of pointy ears, reacting only to the base ears.

Before - After :

edit: hopefully, I found all the place I mixed hair and ear blush

Hair.jpg
    800 x 400 - 97K
    Post edited by Elor on
  • Elor said:

I don't know if can be useful with a dForce hair (and there is maybe a better solution someone more knowledgeable about Daz will provide), but I had a similar problem with non dForce hair and I solved it by:​

I wanted to let you know that you don't have to duplicate the character at all.  On normal hair like that, you can select the hair, go to the Parameters tab, make sure you, "Shown Hidden Properties", and set the ear morphs to 0.0%.  Then it should look like your pic here, with only a single character.  In my dForce hair I wanted to use, the creator did something a bit different than usual, so I cannot use the hair is all.  But, at least that will help you with your hair, so you don't have to double the current memory you are using with doubling the model.

anaximanes_2000 said:

In my case when I put it back, the hair just moves back into place. Ultimately I just won't use this hair, but I appreciate the help. Unfortunately I make a living by creating adult video games using Daz, and this character would be appearing very often. I won't be able to do all this extra rigmarole or else my production time will suffer greatly and that would cause me to lose money. So today I'll just look at other hairs, that's too bad but it's good to know. Thank you.

If you know some software like Blender, Hexagon, it'll be very easy to fix the issue. Or you even can directly use a dFormer in DS, to push / drag that part of hair around the ear back or forth... also a piece of cake.

• crosswind said:

anaximanes_2000 said:

In my case when I put it back, the hair just moves back into place. Ultimately I just won't use this hair, but I appreciate the help. Unfortunately I make a living by creating adult video games using Daz, and this character would be appearing very often. I won't be able to do all this extra rigmarole or else my production time will suffer greatly and that would cause me to lose money. So today I'll just look at other hairs, that's too bad but it's good to know. Thank you.

If you know some software like Blender, Hexagon, it'll be very easy to fix the issue. Or you even can directly use a dFormer in DS, to push / drag that part of hair around the ear back or forth... also a piece of cake.

Still too much work and time for me.  My average game has around 6,000 renders in it per game.  So, having to fix her hair every time she shows up in a different pose or turns her head, or anything, it would add up.  Like I said, I'll use a different hair that requires no extra production time- that's my idea of a piece of cake! lol

anaximanes_2000 said:

crosswind said:

anaximanes_2000 said:

Still too much work and time for me.  My average game has around 6,000 renders in it per game.  So, having to fix her hair every time she shows up in a different pose or turns her head, or anything, it would add up.  Like I said, I'll use a different hair that requires no extra production time- that's my idea of a piece of cake! lol

OK, 6000 renders... if the target is to that extent... it'll be cumbersome indeed with fixing... Anyway, good luck and happy rendering!  yes

• ElorElor Posts: 1,095

anaximanes_2000 said:

I wanted to let you know that you don't have to duplicate the character at all.  On normal hair like that, you can select the hair, go to the Parameters tab, make sure you, "Shown Hidden Properties", and set the ear morphs to 0.0%.  Then it should look like your pic here, with only a single character.  In my dForce hair I wanted to use, the creator did something a bit different than usual, so I cannot use the hair is all.  But, at least that will help you with your hair, so you don't have to double the current memory you are using with doubling the model.

Thank you yes

Memory is not too much of a concern when everything is rendered on CPU (I don't have an Nvidia GPU), but it's always a good idea to know a better and more efficient way smiley