Is there a grass shader for Iray?

Does anyone know of a grass shader for Iray?  I have an old grass shader kit for 3Delight, but it doesn't seem to even want to download anymore, let alone work in Iray.  I have all these wonderful old enviroments that look great and have such interesting mounds and dips, not just a flat plane, that look very natural, but the grass is just a flat texture that really doesn't fit with anything more modern.  I have UltraScatter, but I can't seem to figure it out, and I don't know what I could use to scatter to begin with.  Of course I usually use UltraScenery, but sometimes it's just too much for a simple, small scene.  If there is no such thing, I really would love to see this created, I think it could be really useful.  Maybe have different heights and colors available, and make it so that it could be lush or patchy perhaps?  I would love to just be able to select the ground, add the shader, and render out a pretty scene.

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,633

There are a few grass shaders in FSL Pro Series Architectural Elements. And there is also Instant Grass - Photorealistic Grass For Iray which is more about creating a grass object to apply the material too.

There did look to be a really nice freebie one that I found when working on a render for a Freebie challenge but the download appeared to be broken and I didn't get a reply when contacting the site owner :(

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,447

SofaCitizen said:

There are a few grass shaders in FSL Pro Series Architectural Elements. And there is also Instant Grass - Photorealistic Grass For Iray which is more about creating a grass object to apply the material too.

There did look to be a really nice freebie one that I found when working on a render for a Freebie challenge but the download appeared to be broken and I didn't get a reply when contacting the site owner :(

I love the look of the FSL Pro Series Architectural Elements, it's in my wish list, but that will have to go on a really good sale before I can get it.  Also, I'm thinking the grass shader on that looks kind of like just a flat ground shader, but I could certainly be wrong.  What I was hoping for is a grass shader with height to it, like they used to do in 3DL with bump maps.  I guess the same could be done with Iray somehow?  Maybe there's not even a way to do it, I didn't think of that.

Hey, has anybody tried Foreground Blends?  It has length options, maybe I could use that with UltraScatter somehow?

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,633
    edited December 2023

Yeah, it did look quite flat "out of the box" when I threw it on a primitive plane. Might be able to add some realistic height by playing with the settings a bit but that will have to wait till tomorrow after work - unless someone else that has it can take a look.

The instant grass did have height but it also only seemed to want to be applied to it's own prop and so would not quite match what you are after. Unless maybe you could dforce drape the prop it over other surfaces maybe?

EDIT: I do have foreground blends too so can take a look at that later - although I am sure someone else will be able to do it quicker.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,283

Fae3D said:

Hey, has anybody tried Foreground Blends?  It has length options, maybe I could use that with UltraScatter somehow?

I think Foreground Blends is good, despite being poorly named. It might be a little confusing to use at first, but is quite powerful.

Gordig said:

Fae3D said:

I think Foreground Blends is good, despite being poorly named. It might be a little confusing to use at first, but is quite powerful.

It's on sale right now, I'm very tempted to pick it up.  I think I may give it a try, hopefully it will work with UltraScatter (if I can even figure out how to make that script work right for me, I'm hopeless with it -_-).

WendyLuvsCatz said:

maybe this will work 

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-fur-shaders-for-iray

Hmm, that's an interesting thought, it might work well!  It's rather pricey right now though, and not on sale, so I'll keep it in mind for when it does go down.  Thanks!

SofaCitizen said:

Yeah, it did look quite flat "out of the box" when I threw it on a primitive plane. Might be able to add some realistic height by playing with the settings a bit but that will have to wait till tomorrow after work - unless someone else that has it can take a look.

The instant grass did have height but it also only seemed to want to be applied to it's own prop and so would not quite match what you are after. Unless maybe you could dforce drape the prop it over other surfaces maybe?

EDIT: I do have foreground blends too so can take a look at that later - although I am sure someone else will be able to do it quicker.

Thanks for the info!  Yeah, I think I'm going to try Foreground Blends, it's on sale right now so not as big of a risk.