Suddenly shiny skins on most of my saves and artifacts [SOLVED]

suffo85suffo85 Posts: 173

When I opened Daz today to go do a render I loaded one of my subsets which is just a character loadout, I keep a few like this, and immediately noticed something was wrong.  It was kinda hard not to, she looked like she'd been out partying all night with no sleep for a day....or three.  After fiddling a while and getting nowhere, I searched, and came across a few threads offering different suggestions about shiny skins, such as tinkering with the Specular Lobe 1 and 2 Roughness.  Maxing both of those fields out removed all the shiny but left me with artifacts all over her face and body.  Another suggestion was to turn the Base Mixing to Weighted but doing that leaves her with no eyes and the shine is still there.  Another thing I tried doing was changing the skins, but that didn't work either.

After a real real long time of messing around I finally realized I had forgotten to turn off the auto headlamp, I did, and the shiny immediately went away.  Still, as a test I pulled out a spot light and put it right up close to her face and again the shiny gloss returned.  After some more time passed, I said I'd figure it out later, and loaded another subset of a saved character who had the same shine to her as well.  By this time I start to panic a little bit, and load more saves, finding many of them with this shiny glossy skin which was certainly not there before.  I've rendered with all of my subset saves and had lots of light on them and this shine was never there...

So then I figured it must be some sort of setting I accidentally changed without realizing it, maybe a hotkey?  Dunno.  Was less concerned with the hows and more concerned about getting it fixed.  I reset Daz using command line option "-cleanOnLaunch y" - the problem still persists.

I haven't changed anything in Daz settings (that I am aware of), or my drivers... what can cause this and how can I fix it?

Attaching original image of her before the shine occurred, image with a spotlight close to her face, and image with the headlamp on.  Artifacts begin to appear in the corners of her eyes...

why01.png
810 x 810 - 543K
why02.png
810 x 810 - 526K
why03.png
810 x 810 - 514K
Post edited by suffo85 on

Comments

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 173
    edited December 2023

I forgot about this post o.O

I solved this issue a long while ago, somehow I managed to mix PBR with Uber stuff.  I don't remember how I figured it out though, and I'm still uncertain how it affected so many of my saves.  Chances are I was randomly putting stuff on my other actors without realizing what I was doing. blush

If this happens to you go back over your actor's materials and make sure everything is Uber (skin etc).  My understanding is the actor needs to have either the Uber or PBR material base applied before one or the other can be used, and this particular model used Uber.

EDIT: The artifacts that began appearing afterwards also went away after setting the proper materials.

Post edited by suffo85 on