Latest version of Carrara SDK on DAZ site?

How to get the latest version of Carrara SDK on the DAZ3D site?

Comments

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited December 2023

Here under Utilities > https://carraracafe.com/downloads/

8.1.1.12 is the latest.

Post edited by rk66 on
  • rk66 said:

Here under Utilities > https://carraracafe.com/downloads/

8.1.1.12 is the latest.

Thank you!

CarraraCafe is down now....

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190

rk66 said:

CarraraCafe is down now....

Permanently .... or just for maintenance?

I don't know. sorry.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,859

maybe since DAZ host it,  there is a correlation with the recently added Ads to this site

I cannot speculate but Ads bring in revenue and sites cost money

it may not have enough traffic for Google AdSense

as for the SDK, I suggest DAZ host it on GitHub

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 319

WendyLuvsCatz said:

as for the SDK, I suggest DAZ host it on GitHub

Is there a hope for Carrara? It has such an efficient code that it even runs on ARM Tablets through translation. I could not run Blender on an ARM Tablet, and even Photoshop was slow like dead.

Carrara's programming code is really a Gold.

I am seeing the following error while accessing it:

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [email protected] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

> [email protected] - here maybe?

The site www.sparrowhawke3d.com is also not more really online.

What is the max size for attachments?

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 117

rk66 said:

What is the max size for attachments?

use google drive

I have no google drive.

I mean how big could be a file attachement here

The Carrara SDK is about 50+ MB (?) in the forum?

Well, I could upload the SDK to my webpage on SourceForge, but I'm not sure whether that is allowed, considering the LA (license Agreement)

txt
    txt
    License.txt
    edited April 6

RuudL said:

Well, I could upload the SDK to my webpage on SourceForge, but I'm not sure whether that is allowed, considering the LA (license Agreement)

You may not reverse engineer, de-compile, disassemble, translate, alter, adapt, transfer, assign, rent, resell or in any way distribute the Product or the Software that is supplied to you under this License. You may not use the Software to create applications that would compete with the Product or eliminate the use of the Product. You may not modify the Software.

so, no, you can't. unfortunately

but submit a ticket to DAZ, they will answer your question!

this means, if DAZ does not give us a Link to download, we are screwed unless it says somwhere in the Carrara Software or SDK License that we are granted free access somewhat to the SDK via means of DAZ or other develoers. Maybe. And then, is this the last EULA of the 8.1.1.12  version? If so we could file a ticket to DAZ.

Post edited by Fettbemme on

if they don't have a copy anymore there are plenty of us that do including me that can supply them with one to put on GitHub or somewhere if they don't want to host it

WendyLuvsCatz said:

if they don't have a copy anymore there are plenty of us that do including me that can supply them with one to put on GitHub or somewhere if they don't want to host it

a PM would do for me right now …

edited April 6

I already have submiitted a ticket (455321) to DAZ Sales Support and I'm waiting for an answer.

MailScreenSnapz001.jpg
    848 x 213 - 55K
    Post edited by RuudL on

Fettbemme said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

will try and do this legally, I am hesitant to act otherwise, cannot speak for others  

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Fettbemme said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

will try and do this legally, I am hesitant to act otherwise, cannot speak for others  

I too want to do this legally. Hence the support ticket.

I find the Carrara SDK License Agreement is too strict regarding distribution. Most SDKs are more freely distributable.

edited April 6

I have the SDK here. I would like to upload it here. But I'm not sure with the max size for the attachmenmts. The SDK ist about 50 MB.

Post edited by rk66 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,033

rk66 said:

I have the SDK here. I would like to upload it here. But I'm not sure with the max size for the attachmenmts. The SDK ist about 50 MB.

The EULA does not allow you to share it with others in any event.

@Richard

Okay understand, no problem. Thanks.

Richard Haseltine said:

rk66 said:

The EULA does not allow you to share it with others in any event.

oh, sure thing, but you (DAZ) are not willing to provide the SDK here, other than just saying no, no, you can't this and that, eventhough YOU (Daz) are able to give a link here to all as long as your site is down. I try to think: someone from daz3d is reaching out here, knowing the issue but is unwilling to give green light to resolve the matter. hm …

Well, thank you for your kindness, but unfortunately the case is still not resolved for some Carrara users.

I found a free Python Plugin. Not sure how far one can go with this, but's a start, maybe (PyCarrara-Win-1.0)

It isn't anything over  which I have any control. All I can suggest is opening a ticket, which has already been tried.

edited April 7

Normally (Software Development Kit) SDKs are open to public for application development? Here we are talking about Software development; why is this not the case with Carrara SDK?

Post edited by Samuel S. on

Samuel S. said:

Normally (Software Development Kit) SDKs are open to public for application development? Here we are talking about Software development; why is this not the case with Carrara SDK?

It is still up to Daz to provide the tools, or not - it isn't something enduers can decide for themselves without prior permission.

Richard Haseltine said:

Samuel S. said:

It is still up to Daz to provide the tools, or not - it isn't something enduers can decide for themselves without prior permission.

Thank you. Are not all Carrara users eligible to get a free download of Carrara SDK from DAZ? 

Interesting, I asked following question while talking to copilot on bing and here is the answer:

What are the benefits of using Carrara 3D SDK?

Certainly! The Carrara 3D SDK offers several benefits for developers and creators who want to extend the capabilities of the Carrara 3D software:

1. Custom Plugin Development:

• With the Carrara 3D SDK, you can create custom plugins tailored to your specific needs.
      • These plugins can enhance existing features, automate tasks, or introduce entirely new functionality to Carrara.
      • Whether you’re building tools for modeling, animation, rendering, or other aspects of 3D content creation, the SDK provides the framework to do so.
    2. Integration with Carrara Workflow:

• By using the SDK, you can seamlessly integrate your custom tools and extensions into the Carrara workflow.
      • This means that your plugins become part of the user interface, allowing artists and designers to access them directly within the software.
      • Integration ensures a cohesive experience for users who rely on Carrara for their 3D projects.
    3. Extendable Features:

• Carrara’s core features are powerful, but the SDK allows you to take them further.
      • You can extend existing tools, modify behavior, or create entirely new panels and dialogs.
      • Whether you’re adding import/export options, enhancing the rendering engine, or creating specialized shaders, the SDK gives you the flexibility to innovate.
    4. Community Contributions:

• The Carrara community benefits from the creativity of developers who contribute to the ecosystem.
      • By building and sharing plugins, you enrich the software for everyone.
      • Collaborating with other Carrara enthusiasts fosters a supportive environment where ideas flow freely.
    5. Personalized Workflows:

• The SDK empowers you to tailor Carrara to your unique workflow.
      • If you have specific requirements or repetitive tasks, custom plugins can streamline your processes.
      • Whether you’re an animator, game developer, or architect, personalized tools enhance productivity.
    6. Learning and Skill Development:

• Working with the Carrara 3D SDK provides an opportunity to learn about software development, APIs, and 3D graphics.
      • It’s a chance to hone your programming skills and gain practical experience.
      • As you create and refine plugins, you’ll deepen your understanding of both Carrara and software architecture.

Remember that while the Carrara 3D SDK opens up exciting possibilities, it’s essential to adhere to licensing terms and respect intellectual property rights. Happy coding and 3D modeling!