The case of the render that was nibbled away

Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 727

I had a very odd result from a render yesterday and wonder if anyone else has seen this.

I had a figure in a set that I have used many times with no problems, but this time, as the render proceeded, parts of the image were "nibbled away", leaving bits of the image transparent.

Windows 10 64-bit,  Ryzen 5900x CPU, 128 GB RAM, DAZ Studio Beta v4.21.1.48,  NVidia Studio Driver 546.01  on an NVidia RTX 3090.

Below are two images:  one, plain, as it emerged from the render, and one, with a pure orange background layer underlying the original image in a photo editor, in order to display the odd transparent bits.

Note:  I don't use canvases, so there's none of that complexity.  I only render with a camera to the single output pane.

Dark Disapproval - 02.png
2329 x 1700 - 7M
Dark Disapproval - orange background layer.png
2329 x 1700 - 6M
Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,170
    edited November 2023

It's hard to tell as there're too many grainy noises... but if you've just updated Nvidia driver to 546.01... my suggestion is: DO NOT use NFB driver version... use the latest and most stable Studio driver - 537.58 or 537.70. Then retry with a full render..

For a test, you may turn on Post Denoiser to see if there's any difference.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

It's hard to tell as there're too many grainy noises... but if you've just updated Nvidia driver to 546.01... my suggestion is: DO NOT use NFB driver version... use the latest and most stable Studio driver - 537.58 or 537.70. Then retry with a full render..

Thanks.  I think I have a couple of previous NVidia studio driver installers lying around, though this version used for the problem render was actually the studio driver.  I'll give one of the old versions a shot.

The only thing I can think of is that this render was made after a number of Iray preview - adjust lighting - Iray preview - adjust lighting iterations.  I did save the scene / exit / then restart DAZ Studio, but this didn't resolve the issue.  Perhaps all the iterations of preview/adjust left the graphics card in an odd state.  This set and its lighting really has never produced renders like this, before.

Olo_Ordinaire said:

crosswind said:

Thanks.  I think I have a couple of previous NVidia studio driver installers lying around, though this version used for the problem render was actually the studio driver.  I'll give one of the old versions a shot.

The only thing I can think of is that this render was made after a number of Iray preview - adjust lighting - Iray preview - adjust lighting iterations.  I did save the scene / exit / then restart DAZ Studio, but this didn't resolve the issue.  Perhaps all the iterations of preview/adjust left the graphics card in an odd state.  This set and its lighting really has never produced renders like this, before.

Nah... 546.01 is a NFB download Type, NewFeatureBranch is not a STUDIO version. And I don't think Daz uses NFB to test each of DS versions.

And yeah, Iray "Preview" is not 100% Iray Render, they're different. Pls switch a driver version and retry with some experiments. yes

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 727
    edited November 2023

crosswind said:

Olo_Ordinaire said:

crosswind said:

Nah... 546.01 is a NFB download Type, NewFeatureBranch is not a STUDIO version. And I don't think Daz uses NFB to test each of DS versions.

And yeah, Iray "Preview" is not 100% Iray Render, they're different. Pls switch a driver version and retry with some experiments. yes

Well, just to be clear, this is not a saved render of an "Iray Preview".  This is a full rendered image.  What I meant to convey was that I was previewing the lighting using Iray preview, going back to texture-shaded preview, adjusting things, doing Iray preview again, many times over the course of preparing to render.

I just downloaded  v537.58 of the driver.  I'll give that a shot and post the results.

FYI, here's what I see about v546.01 when I search for drivers on NVidia's site.  This is an incomplete listing, of course.

NVidia Driver Listings 2023-11-29.png
    1077 x 1100 - 137K

Well, just to be clear, this is not a saved render of an "Iray Preview".  This is a full rendered image.  What I meant to convey was that I was previewing the lighting using Iray preview, going back to texture-shaded preview, adjusting things, doing Iray preview again, many times over the course of preparing to render.

I just downloaded  v537.58 of the driver.  I'll give that a shot and post the results.

FYI, here's what I see about v546.01 when I search for drivers on NVidia's site.  This is an incomplete listing, of course.

Ah ha, sorry, I missed that you use GeForce 30 Series ! 546.01 in my RTX branch has always been a NFB. Anyway, pls first of all try with 537.58 yes

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 727
    edited November 2023

Okay, now this fix was hilarious.

The v537.58 Nvidia driver didn't result in a clean render, so I started changing one thing at a time in the scene.  On a whim, I removed the character's blouse and tried a render.  Voila!  Clean, un-nibbled render!  (this render is about 50% converged -- enough to demonstrate that the problem was resolved.)

The blouse was from the outfit dForce Minimalist Autumn Set for Genesis 8 Female(s).   So, be careful out there!

It's a shame, too, as I like the styling and workmanship in the outfit.  Something about the blouse just seems to "nibbelize" Iray.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions @crosswind.

Dark Disapproval - 04 - no blouse - cropped.png
    2329 x 1352 - 5M
    edited November 2023

Ohlala, so that was the culprit ? Indeed, troubleshooting does need more experiments. The funny thing is that I even forgot that I own this product but had no chance to use it up to now, haha ~ will try it later.

Have fun !

Edit ~~ I tried it but there's no such an issue on my side, it's crystal clear even if I had Bloom filter on in this old scene. Or mayby there's something has conflict with this set of clothing in your scene?

SNAG-2023-11-30 0082.png
    992 x 735 - 117K
    SNAG-2023-11-30 0084.png
    2560 x 1400 - 2M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

Ohlala, so that was the culprit ? Indeed, troubleshooting does need more experiments. The funny thing is that I even forgot that I own this product but had no chance to use it up to now, haha ~ will try it later.

Have fun !

Edit ~~ I tried it but there's no such an issue on my side, it's crystal clear even if I had Bloom filter on in this old scene. Or mayby there's something has conflict with this set of clothing in your scene?

Hmm.  It must be something in the scene that is interacting badly with the blouse.  My lighting for that scene is only an emissive plane with an HDR map in the emission channel which is behind a grid I use to control spill from the emissive plane.  I also have a pure white reflector plane with all the gloss turned off located on the right hand side of the scene to provide a little bit of fill.  The grid softlight is almost directly overhead the model/figure.

I'm sure some light ray bouncing off of something thought its job was to erase pixels, not render them!  Who knows ?

Olo_Ordinaire said:

crosswind said:

Have fun !

Hmm.  It must be something in the scene that is interacting badly with the blouse.  My lighting for that scene is only an emissive plane with an HDR map in the emission channel which is behind a grid I use to control spill from the emissive plane.  I also have a pure white reflector plane with all the gloss turned off located on the right hand side of the scene to provide a little bit of fill.  The grid softlight is almost directly overhead the model/figure.

I'm sure some light ray bouncing off of something thought its job was to erase pixels, not render them!  Who knows ?

Yea, maybe it resulted from the lighting pattern ~~ who knows. Or maybe you can try to just use one or two spotlights to test, with other light sources hidden. See if it works or not...