Incline bench front leg rigging

I am learning how to rig props.  In my example, it's an incline bench.  I was able to isolate the polygons, created a face group, added a child bone, assigned the child bone to the face group, weight mapped it, moved it and rotated around, but I don't how to do these:

1.  Constraint the movement range of the rigged bottom part of the leg to move. just in-and-out, of the top part the leg, like in the physical world.
2.  Add a dial to be able to perform #1
3.  Tilt the handle axes so that the, say y-axis, point along the leg of incline bench.

Thank-you,

-b

Comments

• Maybe it should be a morph...But I don't know how to do that either.

-b

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,171

No screenshot so not very clear about what you really want but rigging should be your go as there seems no "softbody" deformation...

Like below SS?

SNAG-2023-11-29 0070.png
    2017 x 1396 - 280K
  • GrafitalebluGrafitaleblu Posts: 89
    edited November 2023

crosswind said:

No screenshot so not very clear about what you really want but rigging should be your go as there seems no "softbody" deformation...

Like below SS?

Sorry, I didn't have a chance to save the actual work to take a ss of, but here it is of the bench prop.  This prop's leg would adjust up-and-down, rather than pivoting.   And your attachment is very useful, and what you said about "softbody" deformation makes a lot of sense to me.
    Btw, how did you get the axes to tilt in the direction of the bone there?

-b

cab80316b7d700144c45fa3afab305.png
    2017 x 1396 - 305K
    Screenshot 2023-11-28 163721.jpg
    1290 x 838 - 88K
    Post edited by Grafitaleblu on
  • A morph co8ld do up/down movement - morphs move the points in a straight line. You can also use the Joint Editor to adjust the orientation of a bone, dragging the centre/end poitns and then using the right-click menu to align the bone. Setting limits is one way to constrain movements, though I am not sure if this is what you want.

• A morph co8ld do up/down movement - morphs move the points in a straight line. You can also use the Joint Editor to adjust the orientation of a bone, dragging the centre/end points and then using the right-click menu to align the bone. Setting limits is one way to constrain movements, though I am not sure if this is what you want.

edited November 2023

Grafitaleblu said:

crosswind said:

Like below SS?

Sorry, I didn't have a chance to save the actual work to take a ss of, but here it is of the bench prop.  This prop's leg would adjust up-and-down, rather than pivoting.   And your attachment is very useful, and what you said about "softbody" deformation makes a lot of sense to me.
    Btw, how did you get the axes to tilt in the direction of the bone there?

-b

OK, understood. The rotation shown in my SS just comes from the bench figure in that product. That rigging was made by the vendor, however, it shouldn't rotate as per the "design of the bench", if you take a close look at it, right? (SS1).  It doesn't make sense 'cause there's no pivot part on X-axis, haha ~~ To me, it was a wrong rigging.

As for your bench, technically you surely can rig it to Rotate, but probably 1st of all adding a pivot part there might be more reasonable for a rotating... Create and set a Bone with Positions and node alignment (if there's no bone there...) , create a Face Group with related surface(s) assigned, then assign the Face Group to that Bone with 100% weight... (SS2)

SNAG-2023-11-29 0072.png
    2560 x 1400 - 612K
    SNAG-2023-11-29 0074.png
    2560 x 1400 - 462K
    SNAG-2023-11-29 0075.png
    1568 x 1071 - 570K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • GrafitalebluGrafitaleblu Posts: 89
    edited November 2023

Richard Haseltine, @crosswind, thank-you for helping me out and giving me ideas.  I appreciate your help.

I went the morph route, and it pretty much gave me what I wanted with the adjustable front leg, the linear motion in-and-out along the top shaft of the leg, and the dial.

-b

Screenshot 2023-11-28 180802.jpg
    964 x 406 - 48K
    Post edited by Grafitaleblu on

No problem ~ Morphing works with Translation on a certain angle