Do the settings under Preferences>Interface affect render times?

Hello from Spain,

I'm new to the forums. I started using Daz this past Summer. This is my first experience with 3D rendering and I'm having a blast.

My desktop PC is equipped with an RTX 4090. Recently, I've noticed that my render times have increased quite noticeably. And I don't know the reason for this to happen. Before, I was averaging some one to two hours making 8K renderings with very few elements in them. Now, it usually takes three hours or more for my machine to render another 8K scene which you can call really simple: generally a female G8 figure, an HDRI of my choice, two or three spotlights and something to provide a backdrop in the case I opt not to use to draw the dome.

I can't understand why this is happening for apparent no reason now. I'm using Studio drivers v537.58.

More or less about the same time this increase in render times started to happen I also changed the settings under preferences>Interface. Now, they look like this (I've attached a screenshot to my post). Can these changes I made affect render times that much?

Thank you.

interface.jpg
1231 x 1139 - 194K

Comments

• None of those should affect render speed, except posibly indirectly by increasing resource use. Are you sure a Windows update hasn't in fact unupdated your driver?

• Thanks, Richard. I don't think that's the case. I purposedly set up my Windows 11 so that it won't install any drivers on its own. In the attached screenshot, you can check what the latest entries in my Windows Update history record look like.

I got the version number of my NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA control panel.

These longer render times also seem to roughly coincide in time with me updating to v4.22 of Daz Studio, but I'm quite confident that I got to make at least one render already in v4.22 that didn't take as long as they are taking now.

wupdatehistory.jpg
    2082 x 1480 - 410K
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,808
    edited November 2023

It's hard to tell though I saw quite a few guys complained about slow render speed with 4.22... I ever tested a couple of cases days ago with my cards and Daz version:

~~ single RTX A6000 with Studio Driver 537.70, DS Pro GR - 4.21.0.5, DS Pro PB - 4.22.0.1 (as same as DS Pro GR - 4.22.0.1), DS Pro PB - 4.21.1.80
    ~~ one of the cases: a typical scene with Cat Zeus (SBH), spotlight, reflection + refraction, some simple props, 1000 Max Samples

DS Pro GR - 4.21.0.5:    83.42 secs
    DS Pro GR - 4.22.0.1:    87.20 secs

DS Pro PB - 4.21.1.80:  84.36 secs

In terms of General Release, render time with 4.22.0.1 was longer than 4.21.0.5 by appr. 4.6% .  With other test cases, this rate was in b/t 4.5% ~ 4.8% . 4.21.0.5 was still the fastest within 4.21.x versions up to now...

To me, render time longer less than 5% is not that significant. However I'm not sure if the "longer render time issue" is specifically with 40 series cards....

PS: A reminder: next time before you upgrade to latest General Release version, DO remember to backup the installation package of older version(s). And a good practice is: always try Public Build before any upgrade to the same version of General Release.

SNAG-2023-11-29 0071.png
    2560 x 1400 - 3M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Thank you, crosswind. I will keep copies of every new version's installer from now on, just in case. At least, I can say that my Daz Studio is working pretty stable. In the past, I also had problems with iRay errors. But since I addressed and fixed erros listed on the log file, it seems to be working very stable and smooth. :)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,808

jumbotron.nkna said:

Thank you, crosswind. I will keep copies of every new version's installer from now on, just in case. At least, I can say that my Daz Studio is working pretty stable. In the past, I also had problems with iRay errors. But since I addressed and fixed erros listed on the log file, it seems to be working very stable and smooth. :)

That's great ! yes