[Solved] DS4.22 Update: No Emissive Lights in Previous DS Versions Too

TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Never happened before that I couldn't just check, update drivers if needed, or just go back to previous version of DS.  Hopefully something simple.

Emissives planes don't work in DS 4.12, DS.4.21.0.5 and 4.22

Tested it see if iray will preview at all.  3 meter plane, cube & default "Ruins" (I think) looks really weird.  *Very* dark shadow as if a spot light is on it.  Settings: (Dome & Scene | Finite Sphere & Ground)

Change to "scene only" and make emissive plane:

6500 kelvin, two sided off, profile none, luminance 20,000, Units Watts, Efficancy 100%, Cutout = 1

What's really odd is that DS4.21 was working this moring before update.   Now (as said) it doesn't work in *any* version. : 0 !

I didn't think that was possible.

Driver version is currently 546.17 (release date 2023.11.14)
When updated DS to 4.22 I also updated "Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.21+

Very puzzling.  DS4.12, 4.20, 4.21 and 4.22 are all in diff folders. 

Any suggestions welcome since I'm dead in the water so to speak.   Would have to fall back on 3DL

Post edited by Tynkere on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Try to post an image of what you are seeing.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Should probably mention sys specs.  Paschal chips too old?  If it's "lights out" across 4.12, 4.20, 4.21 and 4.22-- figure it's probably driver or maybe some setting I'm missing.

Screenshots taken in DS4.21.0.5 that I was using with no problems this morning.  : /
    ---
    CPU i-7 (6700) "Skylake" @ 4.12
    RAM: 64GB
    Device 0: P5000
    Device 1: Titan xP

DomeSS.png
    1080 x 1064 - 529K
    EmiviveSS.png
    1080 x 948 - 79K
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Not seeing anything obvious.

I assume it is any surface you can't make emissive.

Have you tried setting your render engine to CPU and see if that changes it?

• Please don't shrink your screenshots, it makes them hard to read. Have you tried setting the Environment Mode to Scene Only?

@Felis

Good idea about CPU.  Unfortuntely, mesh lights still 'dark side of the moon' so to speak.  From Surfaces pulldown menu, doesn't seem to make any difference-- Metalicity, Specular or weighted-- no light.   Even the screen on a TV prop (that has an on/off mdl doesn't show-- no matter how high the intensity & lumens.

Installed last known 'good' drivers 536.99 -- that *seemed* to work in 4.12.  Iray becomes unresponive after a few previews so reboot.

Too good to be true.  Reboot & no mesh lights again in any DS version I have

That has me wondering about "default resources" update.  Will try copying older versions from backup to where DIM says the newer ones installed.  Wish me luck!

Hope that makes sense.  Been working on this all day & time to call it quits & go to bed.  0_o

@Richard Haseltine

The attachment on the right hand side is "scene only."  Good to know we don't have to shrink screenshots.  4K monitor still a fairly large file.   Is there a suggested pixel size or MB used?   

Suggestions before I try copying older version of "Default Resources for Studio 4.21"?   

Not sure what could cause older versions like DS 4.12 not to have mesh lights working either.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,170
    edited November 2023

I myself never use NFB version but WHQL Studio version only... 537.58 / 537.70 are the most stable versions up to now (Daz related bugs fixed...), personally suggest you try.

I don't use 4.12, but 4.21.0.5, 4.21.1,80 and 4.22.0.1, so far so good with mesh lights, emissive lights or what ever, no problem at all...

I just posted one preview in this thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/661896/do-the-settings-under-preferences-interface-affect-render-times#latest

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited November 2023

crosswind said:

I myself never use NFB version but WHQL Studio version only... 537.58 / 537.70 are the most stable versions up to now (Daz related bugs fixed...), personally suggest you try.

I don't use 4.12, but 4.21.0.5, 4.21.1,80 and 4.22.0.1, so far so good with mesh lights, emissive lights or what ever, no problem at all...

I just posted one preview in this thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/661896/do-the-settings-under-preferences-interface-affect-render-times#latest

Thanks very much.  537.58 has my aging cards rendering again in 4.21.0.5

The following will sound like a silly question but almost done with damage control and will just live with it if no answers.

Was still not getting iRay preview that showed emissive shedding light.  Just glowed.  Even tried Filiment.   Both were a wash.  Frustrated, I set light color to a bright green and luminosity to ridiculously high number.  Render that it's just not working.  Woah!  Blinding green!   Set emissive back to white at around 20k.  Rendered as shown.

What would affect iRay preview?  Phrased differently, what settings would I want to look at?    Right now iRay is more like a test render in 3DL or Carrara.  WYSIWYG preview would be nice but just happy it renders. : )

Kind regards  & thanks again for your help

Test_WHQL_537.58.png
    2192 x 1634 - 1M
    Iray_Preview.png
    2688 x 1512 - 293K
  • The Iray preview is controlled through Draw Settings, which gets extra options while it is active.

"Photo Real" should be set to "on."  Got it.   Thanks!  

Tynkere said:

"Photo Real" should be set to "on."  Got it.   Thanks!  

Which Photoreal, in Draw Mode ? You used Interactive there or sth. ? Even so, there should've been light...

edited November 2023

Don't know.  ; )   I just went down the menu list and the first item that seemed to make sense was "Draw Mode."  Chose "Photoreal" from pulldown menu.   For some reason it was on "Interactived (Biased)" -- my luck that it seems the only one of the options that makes preview dark.  

Here's screenshot if others run into same problem.

Thanks again.  Don't care to repeat something like this.  : 0 !

DrawSettings.png
    1384 x 1222 - 556K

No problem ~ That's great you make it work ! yes