Applying Mats to SU Japan School Uniform Suit produces errors

contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 248

I recently bought Sue Yee's SU Japan School Uniform Suit for G8F, G8.1F and G9. I had something of a time unzipping and installing it, but finally succeeded. However, my problems were not over. In the DAZ Studio Content Library, there are three sub-forlders under dForce SU Japan School Uniform Suit. There are SU Japanese School Uniform Bags, SU Japanese School Uniform Shoes, and SU Japanese School Uniform Suit. In these folders are exactly what one would expect: the school bags, the shoes, and the suit (jacket, skirt, blouse, etc.). Now each of these three has a sub-folder titled Materials. And that is where my problems began. Having placed a bag, shoes, or an article of clothing in my scene; attempts to apply a material produces the following error message: "Error opening file, An error occurred while reading this file, see the log file for more details."

I must confess I have no idea where the log file might be and probably wouldn't understand it even if I could locate it. Has anyone any ideas about what is producing these errors and how to fix them. Please note that thumbnails of the materials do appear in the Content Library, but trying to apply them produces error described earlier in every case.

Moreover, I've just discovered that the same problem applies to several of the Sue Yee products I have bought. Specifically, dForce SU School Uniform, dForce SU Spring School Uniform, dForce SU Sweater Suit, and SU Gymnastics Clothes.

Yipes!

Thanks to one and all.

P.S. I would also appreciate it if some one might tell me where DAZ Studio puts those log files.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

You find the log in Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

Try to copy the relevant part or the whole log and attach as a text file.

• Moved to Technical Help as it is not a Daz Studio application topic.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,171

contedesfees said:

I recently bought Sue Yee's SU Japan School Uniform Suit for G8F, G8.1F and G9. I had something of a time unzipping and installing it, but finally succeeded. However, my problems were not over. In the DAZ Studio Content Library, there are three sub-forlders under dForce SU Japan School Uniform Suit. There are SU Japanese School Uniform Bags, SU Japanese School Uniform Shoes, and SU Japanese School Uniform Suit. In these folders are exactly what one would expect: the school bags, the shoes, and the suit (jacket, skirt, blouse, etc.). Now each of these three has a sub-folder titled Materials. And that is where my problems began. Having placed a bag, shoes, or an article of clothing in my scene; attempts to apply a material produces the following error message: "Error opening file, An error occurred while reading this file, see the log file for more details."

I must confess I have no idea where the log file might be and probably wouldn't understand it even if I could locate it. Has anyone any ideas about what is producing these errors and how to fix them. Please note that thumbnails of the materials do appear in the Content Library, but trying to apply them produces error described earlier in every case.

Moreover, I've just discovered that the same problem applies to several of the Sue Yee products I have bought. Specifically, dForce SU School Uniform, dForce SU Spring School Uniform, dForce SU Sweater Suit, and SU Gymnastics Clothes.

Yipes!

Thanks to one and all.

P.S. I would also appreciate it if some one might tell me where DAZ Studio puts those log files.

You mean you just loaded the bag, clothing, etc. into the scene rather than fitted them on your figure? Then applied Material preset ?

If so, that was not right because those presets are hierarchical Mat. preset. They need both figure and fitted wearables there...

• contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 248
    edited November 2023

Thank you, felis. I do appreciate your comment. Here is the txt file. I believe I've included the relevant part. I hope it's of some assistance.

OKAY, FALSE ALARM! AND I'VE LEARNED SOMETHING NEW ABOUT DAZ STUDIO. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, CROSSWIND. I HAD NO IDEA AND I DO REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ASSISTANCE. BUT TELL ME, SUPPOSE YOU WANT TO PUT CLOTHING IN A PILE ON THE FLOOR OR ON A HANGER IN THE CLOSET. HOW IS THAT TO BE MANAGED?

And I have deleted the now superfluous txt file.

Post edited by contedesfees on
    edited November 2023

contedesfees said:

Thank you, felis. I do appreciate your comment. Here is the txt file. I believe I've included the relevant part. I hope it's of some assistance.

OKAY, FALSE ALARM! AND I'VE LEARNED SOMETHING NEW ABOUT DAZ STUDIO. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, CROSSWIND. I HAD NO IDEA AND I DO REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ASSISTANCE. BUT TELL ME, SUPPOSE YOU WANT TO PUT CLOTHING IN A PILE ON THE FLOOR OR ON A HANGER IN THE CLOSET. HOW IS THAT TO BE MANAGED?

Ah... that'll be simple my dear fella ~  Here's an example - hanger + coat. Assuming you use the Coat from Genesis 8 Female folder. You just parent the coat to the hanger , change the Node name of the hanger to "Genesis8Female". Then select either the hanger or the coat to apply the H.material preset.

As the attached screenshot... Use the same way for other similar cases as you wish. The trick is just a "parenting" (to closet, floor, hanger, whatever... ) and changing the parent's node name...

SNAG-2023-11-27 0023.png
    2560 x 1400 - 945K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Thank you again, crosswind.I started with Poser and expect DAZ Studio to behave in the same manner. I must learn that it is a different program.

contedesfees said:

Thank you again, crosswind.I started with Poser and expect DAZ Studio to behave in the same manner. I must learn that it is a different program.

Yeah, quite different in lots of aspects. Just take it easy.