Some assets can't be exported ?

I bought a lot of assets on the Daz shop, never had issues exporting them until I bought the the Armed Virginia Sloop : https://www.daz3d.com/armed-virginia-sloop

When I try to export it, I have the error "FBX file can't be exported", or DAZ is just crashing.

Do you have experienced something like this ?

Do you know how to fix this ?

I sent Daz support a request 2 months ago with several reminders, but they never answered me. 

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited November 2023

I believe the problem occurs because the figure meshes have morphs. I love models made like this as they're easy to use from my point of view but I believe the morphs are the cause of the FBX export issues.

I'm guessing you want this in Unity/Unreal et.al. and exporting models is generally not something we do unless we're looking to explode a static mesh to make it interactive for animation renders (we're also a games company and work in 2D only) but I thought I'd have a crack at it; it can be done but it's a little bit of a faff and requires Blender. Other modelling software may work but Blender is what we use to separate parts the PAs modelled but couldn't be bothered to add an ERC to so just combined them into the main mesh. This irks me immensely so when someone actually makes the effort, as 3djoji did with this model, it's a delight but I think this flexibility is the cause of the issue in this case.

We'll bypass the FBX exporter in Studio because it's properly borked in 4.22 (that's a technical term :) and use the slightly less borked one in Blender instead.

Firstly download the Daz script here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/nodes/convert_figure_to_props/start

The link is a little difficult to spot but it's the .dsa file in the tab just above the code. I just could not get the built in Figure to Prop conversion to work properly on this model hence the script.

1 - Load the ship and set it up as you want it to appear. You'll lose all further customisation options during this process so set the sails etc. as you want them now.

2 - Select the root object (AVS Preload Controls) and run the script you downloaded. Every child object should now start with 'Prop:' and the bones should have been deleted. If not, start again!

3 - Select all of the props except the root node (AVS Preloads) and assign them to a new group. Delete the AVS Preload Controls item.

4 - Select your new group and export it as a Collada (.dae) file and just accept the defaults in the options box. You could try directly exporting to FBX from this point but I couldn't get it to work in 4.22, 4.21 or 4.16.

5 - Fire up Blender or your modelling package of choice and import the Collada file. Export it as an FBX. (Finally!). Oddly, Studio will not happily import its own Collada file export, preferring instead to disassemble the model and scatter it randomly across the viewport. If I could shrug in a Gallic way, this would be the time I would do it.

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,170

I failed either.

Or try to export to wavefront obj first, import to Blender then export to FBX. So far so good ~~

SNAG-2023-11-27 0021.png
    2560 x 1400 - 2M
    SNAG-2023-11-27 0020.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited November 2023

I couldn't export to .obj at all (same error), even after setting things up. I absolutely had to use Collada as nothing else would work.

Odd one...

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,170

TimberWolf said:

I couldn't export to .obj at all (same error), even after setting things up. I absolutely had to use Collada as nothing else would work.

Odd one...

I don't know but it's odd ~~