Daz c drive consumption

Hello,

Let me start by saying I'm not a big techy type person, so this might be a stupid question.

Obviously having a lot of content takes up a lot of C drive space, but a couple of times I've found space vanishing just by having the software running. I'd expect a bit of usage but not to this extent, example: I opened Daz Studio, added a few Genesis 1 figures, messed around with morphs and outfits for a while, then closed it without saving. When I checked my C drive about 2 gb had been used up, even though I'd not saved or downloaded anything and no other software was running at the time. This has happened more than once. Does Daz Studio consume space just by being open? If so, is there any way of stopping/lowering this?

Thanks.

Comments

• It has temp and cache folders - see Edit>Preferecnes.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

I'll have a look into that,thanks.

Is it safe to delete them without Daz Studio messing up?

• The temp fils and cache? Yes (you can clear the cache through the Preferences dialogue). If you have additional drives you can also put them there.

I deleted them with no ill effects, but the files didn't look all that big so can't have been the cause of the large loss of space. Still not sure what's going on.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,570

How much RAM do you have?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,811

Probably as PerttiA mentioned... that came from the consumption of virtual memory on your C drive esp. when you don't have much RAM...

And no need to clear CACHE from time to time 'cause the CACHE always consume your drive space as long as you load assets from Daz Lib... may switch the path of cache to other "big disk"...

My RAM is 8gb with 7.89 usable. That's probably not much nowadays, but when I got this old laptop many years ago it was pretty good.

SteveM17 said:

My RAM is 8gb with 7.89 usable. That's probably not much nowadays, but when I got this old laptop many years ago it was pretty good.

With current versions on Daz Studio, using relatively recent assets, even 16GB's is considered being too little.

With 8GB's you are definitely using virtual memory (on your C-drive)

My scenes with 2-3 characters, environment and some props, usually take between 16 to 30GB's of RAM and I know how to avoid using the worst resource hogs.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046

I use WinDirStat to find out what is using all the space on my drives then I decide what is needing culled or moved to another drive.

https://windirstat.net/

PerttiA said:

SteveM17 said:

With current versions on Daz Studio, using relatively recent assets, even 16GB's is considered being too little.

With 8GB's you are definitely using virtual memory (on your C-drive)

My scenes with 2-3 characters, environment and some props, usually take between 16 to 30GB's of RAM and I know how to avoid using the worst resource hogs.

I'm using Daz 4.8, mainly with V4, M4 and Genesis1. I tend to go for quick renders, rather than photorealistic. So far my computer has managed, but showing signs of struggling now due to age (a bit like me!). It's rare that my renders take more than five minutes. I try not to put too much strain on it. 

I'm not sure what that stuff about virtual memory means, is there an alternative that would be better?

Virtual memory is a file on you C-drive (or some other drive) that windows uses as memory extension when it runs out of installed RAM.
    When windows starts using virtual memory with the application one is actively using, one can see how the computer slows down to a crawl because using the disk as memory is like running through molasses.
    Fix is to get more RAM, 32GB's for latest versions of DS but DS 4.8 could manage with 16GB's

PerttiA said:

Virtual memory is a file on you C-drive (or some other drive) that windows uses as memory extension when it runs out of installed RAM.
    When windows starts using virtual memory with the application one is actively using, one can see how the computer slows down to a crawl because using the disk as memory is like running through molasses.
    Fix is to get more RAM, 32GB's for latest versions of DS but DS 4.8 could manage with 16GB's

Looks like I need to save some pennies!