Carrara 8.5 Pro Purchasing error

Trying to purchase the software package before the sale ends and keep getting the same error whther I use a credit card or PayPal. Error message is:

​There was an error processing this request

Anyone else have this happen? If I miss the sale I won't be able to get the software so hoping to get this figured out asap

Comments

• It seems like a server issue; I would suggest trying again or creating a support ticket? Normally DAZ folks have been good to honor discounts.

• This was a message I got earlier this year.  I don't buy a great deal but every time I wanted to buy something I just gave up trying when I got the message.  I was going to contact DAZ but took a very close look first at all my card details, profile etc.  For the life of me I cannot remember what I found wrong - a typing error in my address, an old card's details, a wrong postcode - there was something simple that was wrong with my information (a mis-spelling or something) and when I corrected it I could buy the item I wanted.

Hope you get it sorted and are able to get Carrara.  It is still a remarkably capable program. 

• FenFen Posts: 53

Thank you both for the replies. I had my wife try to put my order through (8 items and counting lol) from another computer and she received the same error when trying to submit any form of payment. I created a ticket and provided DAZ support with a screenshot of the error so hopefully they'll know how to fix the issue. Carrera seems like a really great piece of software- heck even Bryce looks useful, although there may be considerable overlap since Carrara also does terrain modeling; I really don't know but I like the look of the Bryce interface and it's so cheap right now it's almost free! Do I need it? Does Bryce have any advantage over Carrara? Thanks a lot for your help and I hope you're both having a great weekend.

• Thank you, I have not used Bryce a lot but it specializes in Terrains etc. I just work on 3D for fun therefore I prefer to use Carrara.

Have a great weekend!

• Just saw that the thread has grown so, before bed, thought I'd offer a little bit more info.

Way back a long time ago now, I became interested in 3d art.  The books I bought described a ton of expensive software that was available then: Cinema 4d,  Truespace, Bryce, Carrara, Lightwave, Poser, 3dStudio Max, Vue D'esprit, Amapi, Hexagon, Silo, Blender, Hash Animation Master, Wings 3d, and others.  Later came Zbrush, Moi and and a bunch of other programs which use later technology.  I'm no expert in this - I'm just partially remembering the software that I saw being showcased in 3d Magazines and books.  What seemed accessible to me and my early pentium PC was Bryce - which I bought - and Poser because they seemed to be a popular combination for image creation.  Carrara too was one which impressed me.  DAZ Studio came along and that business grew while the fortunes of the other softwares varied - many went by the wayside, a few are still around but hardly heard of anymore while some are now among the big names and have become even more costly. 

Early programs changed ownership here and there and DAZ3d aquired Bryce, Carrara and Hexagon. After some development they seem to have been left to languish.

Carrara is pretty much an all-rounder in what it can enable the user to achieve.  There are various modelling technologies (spline, vertex and metaball modellers) as well as an excellent renderer.  As you know, it has landscape elements, forces, physics, lighting, particles and also the ability to rig characters, create morphs, strand-based hair as well as having a whole host of animation tools.  It really is pretty much an all-round 3d package but other software has newly appeared or developed while Carrara remains as it was years ago.

Bryce has always been able to create beautiful landscapes and it can import pre-built objects from other software for still renders.  In the right hands images can be achieved which, to my mind are still up there as among the best.  It does have a timeline for animation but is generally not thought of as an animation package.  Apparently it has three render engines.  Modelling can bring about great results but is quite hard-going and the process is crude.  Shapes are modelled from primitives with boolean joins and intersections which results in meshes with poor topology (they look fine in renders)  Texturing is great and solid objects can be made also with displacement maps.  Skies and lights are also excellent.  Bryce is unfortunately not much heard of or promoted these days and most newcomers to 3d are unlikely to keep it alive, I think.

The vertex modeller in Carrara is proven almost daily in these forums to be capable of producing work as good as any out there.  I never personally got to use it much because I happened to make good progress in using Hexagon.  Almost everyone had problems with Hexagon constantly crashing in those days but somehow it only happened to me when I was unsure of what I was meant to be doing and I clicked in the wrong place once too often.  Hope some of this helps.

As a last word, I am heavily invested in using 3d Coat these days for creating just about anything. It is on sale at the moment - it seems to be on sale at Black Friday and Christmas.   Sculpting is another topic altogether but a useful skill in creating rocks and ruins, etc for landscapes.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

Fen said:

Trying to purchase the software package before the sale ends and keep getting the same error whther I use a credit card or PayPal. Error message is:

​There was an error processing this request

Anyone else have this happen? If I miss the sale I won't be able to get the software so hoping to get this figured out asap

maybe  because you are a new user and security checks have to be done on the payment method. cool

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Fen said:

Does Bryce have any advantage over Carrara? 

Yes.  I used Bryce for many years long ago, especially when Bryce 3.1 added animation.  And the book "Real World Bryce" by Kitchens and Lavenda showed how to really get the most out of the software.  Maybe the best software book I've ever bought.  What happened for me was Lightwave3D offered a package including VUE, which was dramatically better than Bryce for landscapes.  So I got that package but gave up on Lightwave when I realized Carrara was what I really needed.  I've even won a new version of Lightwave but do not use it. But I stayed with VUE and still consider it a great program, even paying the reasonable subscription (the only program I do that for).  

But to answer the question, yes, for most of us Bryce is better at landscapes than Carrara.  Unless you buy some great Carrara landscape products like from Howie Farkes, e.g. the "Stony Creek Bundle", currently 65% off, $15.  Amazing Carrara landscapes.

• Thank you, all. I have also tried bunch of other 3D software but somehow Carrara seemed good fit for most of the 3D work I do. I just wish that some other company like Microsoft or Adobe can buy Carrara 3D from DAZ  to keep it going. Adobe is missing a good 3D package and Carrara could be good fit for them.

edited November 2023

Wow, a lot of really helpful info. Thanks a lot everyone. IF I can get my purchases done before the sale ends, I think I'll have everything I need for awhile. I'm a novice- just trying to model and animate squirrels- maybe on some terrain. Hermit, that 3D Coat program produces Hollyweird results from what I've seen-I'm nowhere near that level-I'll probably never get to that level lol- that's for pros and I'm literally the opposite of a pro when it comes to 3D animation. Before discovering DAZ I was using (don't laugh lol) Corel Motion Studio 3D- I said, don't laugh lol- ok, you can laugh. You gotta start somwhere right lol? It has its uses, but doesn't work well with Windows 10. I have a pretty good laptop and it crawls on it. Anyway, I've graduated from that (I'll still use it for some titles I thiink) and now I'm ready to jump into the DAZ world. Steve, thanks for the shout out on the Stoney Creek bundle-gorgeous landscapes! Added it to my cart lol. Ok, so this is what I have in my cart right now:

1.Carrara 8.5 Pro

2. Daz+ Annual Membership

3. Look at my Hair FREE Player

4. Rodent Base by AM

5. Rodents by AM: Squirrels of Eastern Hemisphere

6. Rodents by AM: Squirrel Props and Poses

7. Bryce 7 Pro

8. Bryce 7.1 Pro - Space Construction Kit

9. Stoney Creek Bundle

That's it, that's all. It's the 'ADHD Beginner Bundle'laugh

Well, off to bed for me. Pleasant dreams everyone and thank you all again for the wisdom. Appreciate you.

Post edited by Fen on

maybe  because you are a new user and security checks have to be done on the payment method. cool

Yeah, could be...I guess it extends to PayPal and Amazon Pay too. Only time I've ever experienced a security check is when I've ordered stuff from over-seas with a credit card. Guess I'll know in a couple of days hopefully. Thankssmiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

I've always got an error when using Amazon pay, so I don't bother with that payment system at all. sad