Recommendation for 3D modeling and animation?

Hi there, been looking at Bryce 7 Pro and Carrara- understanding that they are considered older and officially discontinued developmentally, but from what I've been seeing and reading, both seem like very capable programs to create and render 3D scenes. I really like the look of the Bryce interface and Horo's work is exceptional- clearly showing what is possible after mastering the program. Until today I had not heard of Carrara but I understand from reading comments it is preferred over DAZ Studio for animation. Carrara's included content is welcomed although I kind of wish it was more nature-oriented with animals and terrain- which is where my interests lie moreso than human/fantasycharacter creation. Of course I'm sure I can find models of animals to download if I look around the DAZ shop:).

Any insight would be very welcome as I am new to this creative field but not new to visual arts, and I've always been curious about 3D modeling-you gotta start somewhere right lol? Thanks for reading and I hope to glean some wisdom from the experienced users on the DAZ forums.

Thanks and take care,

Fen

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811
    edited November 2023

I have heard around the traps that Carrara is not too bad for modelling stuff..

as for content as you have eluded to Carrara hasn't been updated for over 10 years so to get animals that work in it is the challenge.

I find that Hivewire animals for DS over at Renderosity work well.. the modern animals here at Daz don't work very well, you need to get the older models. Only way to find out is to dive in and see,,, Carrara is top notch for animal scenes.

enjoy the adventure

Africa.png
    800 x 600 - 852K
    Tassie Devil.png
    800 x 1040 - 2M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • FenFen Posts: 53

Stellar work! Wow, you did those in Carrara?  I've decided I'm gonna take the plunge into Carrera as it seems to do a little bit of everything and there is a nice community still supporting it. Thanks a lot for your reply and keep up the amazing work:)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

fmorash said:

Hi there, been looking at Bryce 7 Pro and Carrara ...

I use Carrara on a daily basis to create short animations based on purchased 3D elements (characters, props, scenes, etc.)  I switched from Poser many years ago when I realized Carrara loads Poser content directly from its own browser, and is much easier to use with more features.  And there is a lot of Poser content available at many websites, with new products coming out frequently.  Carrara's animation tools have become second nature for me after using it for so long.  One example is non-linear animation, which allows users to create clips of animation (or poses) that can be reused and combined on multiple tracks of animations.  So you don't have to create keyframes for character animation, a very time consuming affair. Ask more questions here, lots of knowledgeable pople will help.  And lots of Carrara videos on YouTube to give you a taste.  Here is a one minute animation I did years ago that some people like:

• FenFen Posts: 53

That was excellent:) Loved the UFO fly in- that was a cool model- the whole thing was cool. What's NOT cool is every time I try to purchase Carrara 8.5 Pro I get an erro. I tried credit cards, PayPal and both didn't work. I contacted sales support to let them know but apparently I won't hear back for 3 or 4 days...great lol. I tried multiple browsers with the same error each time..'There was an error processing this request.' .Annoying to say the least. Hopefully they will still honor the sale they have on Carrara Pro 8.5. If not, I won't be getting it unfortunately- with Christmas around the corner I have obligations which cost money lol.

Anyway, great work. I hope to be learning the ropes soon:)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Fen said:

Anyway, great work. I hope to be learning the ropes soon:)

Thanks.  Weird about the DAZ Shopping problem, I don't recall that happening in my many years here.  They're always happy to take my money, judging by my 85 page "Product Library", ~40 items pere page, so that's, lessee ... a LOT of purchases.   frown

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

I think that Fen is going to be a brand new, Inspired and Enthusiastic Carraraist!!!

Fen, buddy, when Daz 3d gets you cart stuff squared away, Welcome to Carrara 8.5 Freaking PRO!!!