Transparency draw order

Hey folks,

Kind of a niche question because it's just a QOL viewport issue, but is there a way to set the draw order of transparencies?

I've got a weird issue with some old game clothing (helmet with cutouts) and hair assets I'm working with that were plane groups with alpha channels defining the shapes.  I'm recreating the assets with actual volume geometry and strand-based hair.  The asset comes in as a single obj with different surfaces groups.  The transparency in the viewport is about as good as one can expect from Daz.  The helmet at least appears to hide the hair behind it for the most part, though there's still the usual funky backface stuff.

Where it gets weird is if I duplicate the obj so that I can have one where the helm is set to 0 opacity, one where the hair is set to 0 opacity so it's easity to toggle them on and off for reference.  In the duplicate, the draw order and the backfacing of the surfaces goes to hell.  Just a bunch of polys hiding other polys in ways that make no sense.

Is it possible to force a certain surface to draw before another or otherwise address this?

Comments