Why do I make redundant morphs? [Solved]

lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

My workflow for making morphs has been producing two directory folders with the same morphs in them. One folder is called “Base”, while the other folder is called the name of the product. The folder called the name of the product probably gets created when I do my save as “Morph Asset(s)”, where the dialog box for that asks me to type in a name for the product. I have been typing in the name of the product every time, near as I can remember.

Only one of the folders is needed. I know this because I have experimented with deleting the folder that has the earlier time-stamp.

The bizarre thing is: sometimes the one with the earlier time-stamp is the one called “Base”, but sometimes it is the one called the product name. What’s up with that randomness? <-Question 1 of 2

My guess is that the redundant morph directory folders come from my workflow in which I save my prop up to three times. I save so much out of fear that my morphs will be lost on closing Daz Studio.

MY WORKFLOW for making morphs is typically this:

Load in my model’s obj file and texture it.

Save model as “Figure/Prop Assets ...” (save #1)

Select the model.

Go to Edit>Object>Morph Loader Pro...

Load in my morph obj. and click “Accept”.

Save model as “Figure/Prop Assets ...” (save #2)

Save the morph as “Morph Asset(s) ...”

In the dialog box asking for “Product”, I type in my product name and click “Accept”.

Save model as “Figure/Prop Assets ...” (save #3)

If the redundant morphs come from saving my prop too many times, which saves must I omit to stop this? <-Question 2 of 2

Redundant Morphs.jpg
844 x 294 - 136K
Post edited by lukon100 on

Comments

• When you use Figure/prop Asset all of the curent state is saved as /Base product - because that is what you are telling it to do - save the mordel, any rigging, morphs, UVs etc. as part of the base item. Don't use that command once you have saved the base, just save the additional assets separately.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,170

If there's no change of Base Geometry, rigging, weight or UV Set, you don't have to save Figure/Prop asset from time to time... just your step of "save #1", reload your figure/prop, make morphs on it and save morph assets. That'll be fine.

But do not save the same morph for times into different sub-folders under the same Product, that will make loading and cache messy

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Thanks, you folks.

Although I don't understand the technical details of what you wrote here, I surmise that any problems can be remidied and prevented by making sure all the morphs are only in directory folders named "Base". So I did that. (and deleted the folders with any other name) And now, given that all the morphs work, I should be safe now, right?

lukon100 said:

Thanks, you folks.

Although I don't understand the technical details of what you wrote here, I surmise that any problems can be remidied and prevented by making sure all the morphs are only in directory folders named "Base". So I did that. (and deleted the folders with any other name) And now, given that all the morphs work, I should be safe now, right?

You're right yes 

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Thanks for the confirmation, Crosswind. Now I can resume my project with one less worry.

lukon100 said:

Thanks for the confirmation, Crosswind. Now I can resume my project with one less worry.

You're welcome and take your time. yes