About jpg texture editing

Hello

I have bought a tank prop/model but I dont like the Camo's that is using. I opened Photoshop in order to change the camo and what i saw was unrecognisable. How could I edit this kind of texture? Is there any other software that can show the prop with the camo and make changes on it? 

Comments

• Mike-Mike- Posts: 3

The image is like this

• Please don't post texture files, they are part of the product data and are not for sharing.

How the maps need to be laid out varies from model-to-model, it depends on the UV mapping (which essentially tells the application which little patch of a texture to apply to each facet - usually in fairly sensible blocks. Daz Studio does have a UV view - click the camera/view picker (Perspective View is what it probably says, unless you have added a camera) in the main Viewport and open the Aux Viewport from Window>Panes(Tabs). Now if you activate the Surface Selection tool and have View By Material (rather than View By Node) active in the right hand of the two buttons above the UV square you can click on sections of he model in the Aux Viewport and see which areas of the template are applied. (click the UV View button at top-left to get the camera/View list to go back to a standard Viewport mode.

Richard Haseltine said:

Please don't post texture files, they are part of the product data and are not for sharing.

How the maps need to be laid out varies from model-to-model, it depends on the UV mapping (which essentially tells the application which little patch of a texture to apply to each facet - usually in fairly sensible blocks. Daz Studio does have a UV view - click the camera/view picker (Perspective View is what it probably says, unless you have added a camera) in the main Viewport and open the Aux Viewport from Window>Panes(Tabs). Now if you activate the Surface Selection tool and have View By Material (rather than View By Node) active in the right hand of the two buttons above the UV square you can click on sections of he model in the Aux Viewport and see which areas of the template are applied. (click the UV View button at top-left to get the camera/View list to go back to a standard Viewport mode.

Very usefull information thank you. If I want to make it higher resolution will textures make a difference or it depends from the shapes in UV maps? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

UV maps are resolution agnostic. As long as the image you want is in the right sector of the map, you can make it as large as you want.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253
    Substance painter
  • Mike- said:

Hello

I have bought a tank prop/model but I dont like the Camo's that is using. I opened Photoshop in order to change the camo and what i saw was unrecognisable. How could I edit this kind of texture? Is there any other software that can show the prop with the camo and make changes on it? 

Personally, I load the prop (or whatever) into a new scene solo. Export it as an OBJ. Load it into blender, Select the faces I want to remap (say a TV screen but not the frame) go to UV view, ensure all the UV's there are selected, and export UV layout.  I usually set the iamge size of the export to the size I want 4k,2k, etc.  I can then take that image in PS, make a new layer/s and edit to my hearts content.Can also change the image size down as needed from 4k. 

• Richard Haseltine said:

Please don't post texture files, they are part of the product data and are not for sharing.

Are we allowed to use textures from the Basic Wear Sets since they are include free at no charge to everyone who downloads DAZ and install the corrosponding Gen Model? ) For image examples?

• Mike- said:

Very usefull information thank you. If I want to make it higher resolution will textures make a difference or it depends from the shapes in UV maps? 

It's relative to the texture size. Lets say you have a texture with a red square in the center, 50% W&H, on a 1k texture image (1024x1024) that red square will be 512x512 pixels. On a texture that is 2048x2048, the red square will still be 50% W&H of the image, and thereby be 1024x1024 pixels.

Distant shots, the pixels that make up the square, may only be 3" wide on the screen, so craming 512 pixels into 3" doesn't end up to blurry/distorted - when the image is 1920x1080 (using a 1024x1024 texture).Whereas if you were to zoom into the red square so that it almost filled the screen. In an image that is 1920x1080, the red square would take up about 1080x1080 pixels.  A 1024x1024 texture where the red square is only 512x 512 pixes means it would be stretched so to speak to fill the 1080x1080 red square in the render.  It's not that bad when it's a flat color/image, but as soon as you have detailed images like the bumps on a painted surface, or grooves and bumps, it matters.

• lorddayradon said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Are we allowed to use textures from the Basic Wear Sets since they are include free at no charge to everyone who downloads DAZ and install the corrosponding Gen Model? ) For image examples?

No, because it is still redistributing the maps in a way that the license does not permit. It's the free beer/free speech thing again.

• Richard Haseltine said:

lorddayradon said:

Richard Haseltine said:

No, because it is still redistributing the maps in a way that the license does not permit. It's the free beer/free speech thing again.

Ok, I was just wondering. I don't get the the free beer/speech reference. At first I was inclined to believe it silly corporate goop, but I've thought about it some more and I suspose  it's not really about the image being provided free, but more so about the transport means, and the lack of accepting any sort license agreement when d/l from the forum vs upon installing daz which governs uses and creates liability.

edited November 2023

Thank you all for your answers.From what I see texturing is a whole new chapter frown

Post edited by Mike- on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,263
    edited November 2023

Something that hasn't really been touched on is surfaces. If the part that you want is its own surface, you can apply a different shader to it and it won't affect the rest. Use the surface selection tool and hover over the part you want to change. The part(s) that light up are all the same surface. If the part you want to change is sufficiently isolated (for example, it doesn't include things like the treads), you can change the shader freely. Apply a different camo shader, for example.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • if looking for free options something like Quixel Mixer is good for 3D retexturing/painting objects

(I use Zbrush but that;s pricey, Substance painter is the most popular program out there)

• lorddayradon said:

Richard Haseltine said:

lorddayradon said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Ok, I was just wondering. I don't get the the free beer/speech reference. At first I was inclined to believe it silly corporate goop, but I've thought about it some more and I suspose  it's not really about the image being provided free, but more so about the transport means, and the lack of accepting any sort license agreement when d/l from the forum vs upon installing daz which governs uses and creates liability.

If you dont accept a license agreement then you have absolutely no license to use at all,  and are not allowed to use the product. 

It is intellectual property law.  Doesn't matter if it is free.  The rights are with the creator of the product,  until they are specifcally granted to be used under specific EULA terms.  

And whether you understand it or not,  is not relevant either.  Ignorance to the law is never a defence.  Not in court  and certainly not in general.