DS Format Products That Import To Carrara. Or Not.

I've had mixed luck with DAZ products in DS format importing to Carrara.  Some work well, maybe without the lights, but certainly useable.  Others don't show any geometry at all.  I dunno why.  This is a first pass, I'll add more as I test. I'm sure someone will point out  what I'm missing, if anything.  Anyway ...

Products that work:

Toymaker Workshop

Steampunk Helicopter (Can't Move Parts)

Victorian Medical Equipment

Toilet Paper On Floor

Do Not Work:

Library Bluson

Police Station Interior

Detective Room

Cyberpunk Launderette

Security Gatehouse

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

lots of DS products use instances and emitters

Carrara equivalents are replicators and glow channels

usually all the textures have to be adjusted, UV mapping unticked ect...

for opening and closing stuff you need to do manually not by the sliders or the product needs to be changed to blended weight. surprise

and some products no matter what you do just won't work.. like the curiosity mars rover. frown

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858
    edited November 2023

if all else fails I export obj from DAZ studio

I have Totte's plugin too https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,739

Steve K said:

I've had mixed luck with DAZ products in DS format importing to Carrara.  Some work well, maybe without the lights, but certainly useable.  Others don't show any geometry at all.  I dunno why.  This is a first pass, I'll add more as I test. I'm sure someone will point out  what I'm missing, if anything.  Anyway ...

Products that work:

Steampunk Helicopter (Can't Move Parts) - Converted to blended weight in DAZ Studio, saved as Scene Subset, was able to rotate rotors when opened in Carrara

Do Not Work:

Security Gatehouse - opened in Carrara, tried Blended Weight conversion in DAZ Studio, movement morphs still not working in Carrara. As Wendy said export as obj from DAZ Studio

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858
    edited November 2023

those Aurelio NY sets remain my bane in Carrara

load perfectly won't save

I have at least found a workaround for the obj exports exploding

select and parent everything in place to a null (not keeping hierachy) the problem is they have mixed parenting

look in this thread for a better idea of what works in Carrara and how to fix what doesn't

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8916/buy-something-that-doesn-t-work-in-carrara-post-your-questions-and-workarounds-here-please#latest

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

All good points, thanks.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

WendyLuvsCatz said:

those Aurelio NY sets remain my bane in Carrara

load perfectly won't save

Disappointing, those sets are great.