Daz3D freezes when I press "Render"

Daz3D freezes when I press "Render". I'm not talking about the usual unresponsive and slow UI, but it actually freezes, the render window stays white and it doesn't render any images. Any click anywhere opens up "x has stopped responding" etc window. The freeze stays for several minutes, then starts rendering, but everything else in the computer gets real slow and rendering takes at least twice as long (tested with renders I know approx. render time).

What's weird is that Iray preview in the Viewport doesn't seem to be affected by this at all. High render settings work with same responsiveness in the Viewport as they always have.

What could be the cause of this? Could some settings be corrupt?

Comments

• ElorElor Posts: 1,095

Hello,

Daz may be very busy preparing the scene and sending data to memory (I encountered similar situations with a couple of scenes, all of the using between 20 and 30 GB of memory on my Mac) but I have no idea why the rendering time is longer. Maybe because the scene is too heavy to fit inside VRAM and instead, Daz is failling back to CPU rendering, but as I'm always using CPU to render (no nVidia GPU on my Mac), I have no idea where too look on a Windows machine to check how much memory a scene required.

IRay Preview is done at worse quality compared to iRay render and geometry is also not as high: by default, most items will use a lower geometry level in the viewport, to keep a smoother viewport's response.

• I think, this could be an issue with the sub-d setting of an object in your scene. I have a similar issue from time to time:

In my case I discovered that a G8 or G9  figure got a render sub-d value of five even though I had set it to three.

So, I had the figure in my scene, I set it's sub-d to three, I saved the scene, I opened it the next day, hit render and got exactly the same long waiting time you described. I also got the "x has stopped responding". After endless search for the cause, I found out that my figure had a render sub-d value of five. I switched it back to three started the render again and speed was ok. I then saved the scene, closed DS, opened DS, loaded the scene and - surprise - the figure sub-d was again at five. I never found out what was wrong with this scene but since then I always check the sub-d value of genesis figures after loading a scene. After that it happened with two more scenes and I still don't know what causes it. But in my case it is a rare issue.