opinions please?

what are your thoughts on a pc with this spec for daz 4,22?  advice appreciated.

Product specifications:
Processor:
Intel Core i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90GHz)

Memory (RAM):
16GB DDR3 DRAM Memory

Optical Drive:
DVD-RW

Storage (HDD/SSD):
500GB Hard Drive Disk

Graphics:
NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB GDDR5

USB:
10x USB Ports

Lan & Modem:
Ethernet 10/100/1000MBit

General Info:
LAN Ethernet
DVD-RW
4x Display Port
Serial Port
VGA
DVI

Operating System:
Windows 10 Pro

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

A GPU with 2GB of VRAM will be useless for Iray rendering, no scene will fit in there. You would be rendering with the CPU. You'd need one with at least 8GB if you want to render with the GPU.

And 16GB system RAM is rather short.

• Leana said:

A GPU with 2GB of VRAM will be useless for Iray rendering, no scene will fit in there. You would be rendering with the CPU. You'd need one with at least 8GB if you want to render with the GPU.

And 16GB system RAM is rather short.

thanks, I'm new to all this. I had a feeling it wouldnt be up to it.

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460
    edited November 2023

You can run it (I run it fine with slightly less overall) but yeah you will be rendering on the CPU - depending on what you're doing and what your expectations are, that may be fine. 

are you considering buying a new PC, or are you asking if this PC you've described can run Studio?

Post edited by Squishy on
  • Squishy said:

You can run it (I run it fine with slightly less overall) but yeah you will be rendering on the CPU - depending on what you're doing and what your expectations are, that may be fine. 

are you considering buying a new PC, or are you asking if this PC you've described can run Studio?

hi. considering buying. the one i have is getting long in the tooth tbh. i googled specs for daz and got a bewildering array of suggestions, some of them for much older versions of daz. id also like to try unreal, which current pc cannot run either

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460

for D|S it really depends on what your expectations are and how much of a budget you have, I have a very modest machine but I only render stills and my scenes are generally really simple (1-2 characters and clothing) and I'm comfortable with how it performs.

Unreal Engine, that will take whatever hardware you are willing to spend money on, get the fastest SSD you can reasonably afford and fastest motherboard IO because for me that was always the worst bottleneck, loading all the gobs of trash you need to load just to start it.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Requirements, RAM 32GB's or more, Nvidia RTX GPU with minimum 8GB's of VRAM (preferably 12GB's) and a truckload of storage space.
    Depending on the GPU, one may need to check that PSU (Power Supply Unit) is big enough

• thanks everyone for the help. sorry i didn't get back sooner. maybe a gaming machine would be an option considering its primary function is to handle graphics?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

len_9c082be789 said:

thanks everyone for the help. sorry i didn't get back sooner. maybe a gaming machine would be an option considering its primary function is to handle graphics?

A gaming PC would have been my first (and only) choice. Depending on your budget, there shoiuld be some good holiday/black friday deals coming up.

• Quadros don't make good gaming video cards.  They're built to be more stable than GeForce (a GeForce card will push the limit of the die that it's on, while a Quadro card will be more rock solid).  They're great at wire-frame and simple polygonal rendering than a GeForce is, which makes them great for CAD work, but they don't handle texture shading so well.

My work computer has a Quadro RTX 3000 in it, and rendering times on it are slower than they were on my GeForce RTX 3070.

• mwasielewski1990mwasielewski1990 Posts: 330
    edited November 2023

Really depends on what you want to do with DAZ. Daz requires at least RTX 20xx series cards (AMD don't work at all) or newer. 8GB cards are barely enough in my opinion for today's standards in rendering. The amount of VRAM in a GPU will limit how complex your scenes could be. If a card runs out of VRAM during a render, it falls back to CPU (which you don't want, as this is painfully slow). Pick up a used RTX3090, they are dirt cheap now. As for ram - a rule of thumb is 2x or 3x the amount of VRAM in the graphics card. As for CPU - anything modern with 6 to 8 cores clocked at above 4 GHZ on a single core should do the trick.

Also, like others mentioned - don't buy Quadro cards, they are slower, and more expensive than their GeForce counterparts.

Do you have a budget set for the new PC?

This is an example of my rig for rendering:

CPU: Intel i7 12600K (10 cores)

RAM: 64GB DDR4, 3200Mhz (4x 16GB sticks)

GPU: GeForce RTX 4090 (24GB Vram)

Power Supply: Corsair 1000 Watts

Disks: 2x Samsung NVME 2TB

Post edited by mwasielewski1990 on
  • Expozures said:

Quadros don't make good gaming video cards.  They're built to be more stable than GeForce (a GeForce card will push the limit of the die that it's on, while a Quadro card will be more rock solid).  They're great at wire-frame and simple polygonal rendering than a GeForce is, which makes them great for CAD work, but they don't handle texture shading so well.

My work computer has a Quadro RTX 3000 in it, and rendering times on it are slower than they were on my GeForce RTX 3070.

brilliant thanks

• mwasielewski1990 said:

Really depends on what you want to do with DAZ. Daz requires at least RTX 20xx series cards (AMD don't work at all) or newer. 8GB cards are barely enough in my opinion for today's standards in rendering. The amount of VRAM in a GPU will limit how complex your scenes could be. If a card runs out of VRAM during a render, it falls back to CPU (which you don't want, as this is painfully slow). Pick up a used RTX3090, they are dirt cheap now. As for ram - a rule of thumb is 2x or 3x the amount of VRAM in the graphics card. As for CPU - anything modern with 6 to 8 cores clocked at above 4 GHZ on a single core should do the trick.

Also, like others mentioned - don't buy Quadro cards, they are slower, and more expensive than their GeForce counterparts.

Do you have a budget set for the new PC?

This is an example of my rig for rendering:

CPU: Intel i7 12600K (10 cores)

RAM: 64GB DDR4, 3200Mhz (4x 16GB sticks)

GPU: GeForce RTX 4090 (24GB Vram)

Power Supply: Corsair 1000 Watts

Disks: 2x Samsung NVME 2TB

thats brilliant thanks. all this is new to me