Playbar wont move until mouse is moved (since update to 4.22)

nookie45nookie45 Posts: 13

Has anyone experienced this? I had an animation (1 char) working just fine before the update. Now when i press the play button, nothing happens.

The log shows a bunch of error for duplicate formulas and this. [WARNING] :: D:\DAZDevel\Hudson\HUDSON_HOME\jobs\NB_Studio_Trunk\workspace\src\sdksource\general\dzcontentmgr.cpp(3987): Empty relativePath passed to DzContentMgr::getAbsolutePath().

and this: [WARNING] :: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout

There is no D drive.

GTX1080, Driver 546.01

Post edited by nookie45 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited November 2023

The path in the warning refers to the source code (.cpp = C++ source code) and is there to help with troubleshooting should this get escalated to the developers. In this case the messages have absolutely no connection to your issue, they relate to the figure (and are harmless) and a standard message that always comes up (and is presumably harmless since nothing has been done about it). The weird playback issue is known, it is discussed in the release thead and has ben reported to Daz - at the moment there is no fix but unchecking Play All Frames in the Timeline option menu should allow a more normal behaviour.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,841

No. The problem occurs in 4.22 when Play All frames is unchecked in the Timeline options. In DS 4.21, the Timeline animation worked just fine when Play All Frames was unchecked. I first noticed and reported this problem in 4.21.1.26 Public Build in December 2022.

• nookie45nookie45 Posts: 13
    edited November 2023

barbult said:

No. The problem occurs in 4.22 when Play All frames is unchecked in the Timeline options. In DS 4.21, the Timeline animation worked just fine when Play All Frames was unchecked. I first noticed and reported this problem in 4.21.1.26 Public Build in December 2022.

Yes can confirm that this only happened in the PB before and with the update to 4.22. Downgraded to 4.21, unchecked Play All Frames.

I can't reproduce in 4.22 because i downgraded back to 4.21

• nookie45nookie45 Posts: 13
    edited November 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

The path in the warning refers to the source code (.cpp = C++ source code) and is there to help with troubleshooting should this get escalated to the developers. In this case the messages have absolutely no connection to your issue, they relate to the figure (and are harmless) and a standard message that always comes up (and is presumably harmless since nothing has been done about it). The weird playback issue is known, it is discussed in the release thead and has ben reported to Daz - at the moment there is no fix but unchecking Play All Frames in the Timeline option menu should allow a more normal behaviour.

Thanks for answering too, I did search the forum before posting. If you're a DEV of DAZ you should reconsider your perception of harmless and reflect on hours of workflow lost trying to downgrade.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,173

I could not reproduce the issue with 4.22... What's the issue on earth? Uncheck Play All Frames first, click Play then nothing happens ?

crosswind said:

I could not reproduce the issue with 4.22... What's the issue on earth? Uncheck Play All Frames first, click Play then nothing happens ?

When "Play All Frames" is unchecked in the Timeline options, the animation plays smoothly only while you jiggle the mouse around with the cursor in the Viewport pane.

1. Create a new empty scene.
    2. Ensure that Play All Frames is unchecked in the Timeline options in the Timeline context menu.
    3. Load Genesis 9 Dev Load figure. (Others have reported the same problem with things as simple as a primitive cube.)
    4. Create several keyframes on the Timeline with the figure moved or posed.
    5. Click the play button on the Timeline pane.
    6. Observe that the animation does not play smoothly, if at all.
    7. Move the mouse cursor to the Viewport pane.
    8. Jiggle the mouse momentarily.
    9. Observe that the animation plays briefly.
    10. Move the mouse cursor continuously.
    11. Observe that while the cursor is moving, the animation plays continuously.
    12. Stop moving the mouse.
    13. Observe that the animation will soon stop playing.  

barbult said:

crosswind said:

When "Play All Frames" is unchecked in the Timeline options, the animation plays smoothly only while you jiggle the mouse around with the cursor in the Viewport pane.

2. Ensure that Play All Frames is unchecked in the Timeline options in the Timeline context menu.
    3. Load Genesis 9 Dev Load figure. (Others have reported the same problem with things as simple as a primitive cube.)

I reported this in an early 4.21 Public Build (4.21.1.26) almost a year ago. The Timeline still behaves this way in the recent 4.22.0.1 general release.Here is the video I attached to the help request to demonstrate the problem last December. I don't know what Daz developers expect the Timeline to do when Play All Frames is unchecked, but the report was simply that the animation played smoothly in 4.21.0.5 General Release and not in the 4.21.1.26 Public Build. I'm not aware of any notification of an intentional change to that behavior, so I consider it a bug. Customer Service reproduced behavior and forwarded it to the developers. After that, there is no feedback to the reporting user, so there it sits in "My Activities" as an open request.

• nookie45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Thanks for answering too, I did search the forum before posting. If you're a DEV of DAZ you should reconsider your perception of harmless and reflect on hours of workflow lost trying to downgrade.

I am not a developer, but regardless I am not sure what you mean - the messages I commented on being harmless are harmless (beyond a small impact on load times), that doesn't mean the unrelated issue you are having with playback is, in my view, harmless.

edited November 2023

barbult said:

crosswind said:

Okay, got it ~~ with 4.22.0.1, I was not able to reproduce it on a G9 Dev Load with animation from products. On G9, with attachments, it was just not smooth but still moved.

Pls take a look at this video : https://mega.nz/file/jGgzgQ5T#aICNsCd7tIBMPRlRbVRDz-nLhJDqPM3i0evTz9jSSZw

I'm trying manually keyed now... PS: the keyed test seemed also fine: https://mega.nz/file/HHBSwBbA#jy-J8f1BdewwZovrjJp3QAmsz7_kzhm_M7z_7s-0uUM

So, individual case ?

Post edited by crosswind on
    It is not an individual case. Other users have also reported the same symptoms here in the forums. Customer Service followed the steps I gave them and reproduced the problem. There may be a difference based on hardware or something. It appears to work much better for you.

barbult said:

It is not an individual case. Other users have also reported the same symptoms here in the forums. Customer Service followed the steps I gave them and reproduced the problem. There may be a difference based on hardware or something. It appears to work much better for you.

Understood ~~ so the support request has been hanging around there for nearly a year...surprise

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Understood ~~ so the support request has been hanging around there for nearly a year...surprise

That's correct.

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

That's correct.

angry