Petipet's Starship Dedal -- inspired by...?

wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
edited November 2023 in Art Studio

I'm interested in using the absolutely perfect Starshp Dedal in an animation; can anyone point me to the original inspiration for the starship so I can decide if my version (once I personalize it a. bit) will look different enough from the original source to avoid suprises?

https://www.daz3d.com/starship-dedal

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

I wish I knew, my friend.

Have you started work on it yet? Sure looks like a great ship!

After losing over ten years of work in my mechanical HDD crash, I have to rebuild this - which will be easy and fun. One of my favorite kit bash ships to date. Of course, I'm in Daz Studio now so I'll do it in there. This new Petipet ship looks perfect for some of the projects I've seen you working on!!! Looking forward to seeing it! :)

Mine (above) is more for a dark dystopian future sort of thing.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Nice ship! I love the Marcoor's interior sets as well, and the fact they come in new and "aged" versions.

Me too. The toughest part is deciding whether I want the interior to be that freaking dark, or white. My last Carrara experiments I was combining them for different looks.

As for Dedal, my first impression (before your post) was Flash Gordon. But it didn't take much of a second glance to see that wasn't the case.

• oddboboddbob Posts: 348

Can't remember seeing anything similar, but it's a tiny bit space x and a tiny bit thunderbird 2 in as much as it's kind of round with stubby wings.

oddbob said:

Can't remember seeing anything similar, but it's a tiny bit space x and a tiny bit thunderbird 2 in as much as it's kind of round with stubby wings.

I can see that, or even the Proteus from Fantastic Voyage a bit, too.

To be clear, I'm not too worried about it being inspired by a movie or tv show, I'm using it anyway. It's for my own hobbyist animations and whenever possible I'd just like to be able to say, "Inspired in part by...".

Petipet has mentioned in the past that he does occasionally draw inspiration from some Soviet media:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/124876/name-that-petipet-model-inspiration 

He has so many incredible products here that when you combine 'em all (planets, ships, cities, outposts, alien animals, invaders, space stations, etc.) it's easy to create a huge sci fi universe, larget enough to host years-worth of stories. 

For me, this current ship fits perfectly for me and it's one of the best I've seen for a smaller, but not too-small ship for solar system adventures.

-- Walt Sterdan

I agree. It's beautiful for that. Plenty of room for space travel living, a small science lab, securtiy detail, etc.,

I also am a big Petipet fan! 

• Moved to Art Studio as it is not a Daz Studio application topic.

• oddboboddbob Posts: 348

wsterdan said:

To be clear, I'm not too worried about it being inspired by a movie or tv show, I'm using it anyway. It's for my own hobbyist animations and whenever possible I'd just like to be able to say, "Inspired in part by...".

Petipet has mentioned in the past that he does occasionally draw inspiration from some Soviet media:

Fair enough wink If he likes Soviet stuff I'd quite like a large ekranoplan.

I know... he was inspired to create something really cool for Studio Hrimfaxi!

Ha!

No, I think he makes really cool stuff because he just can't help himself! 

I did have fun using some of his stuff in the opening Mission Log for the first 2D episode of Starship Hrimfaxi, though, including some of his planetside stuff, one of his rockets, an outpost and alien flying creature. 

Oh I know. That's some of my favorite stuff you're using in there. Loves me my Petipet!!! Love that Hrimfaxi Adventure stuff too!!! Love it!!!

Oh... but I think he Did make that as a cool new ship for you to use. I really do!