2 big problems with 4.22

Hi all,

I downloaded and installed 4.22 yesterday morning and that was the moment things went a bit wrong. First up, it won't establish a connection to postgreSQL, so no CMS, so no smart content etc... Then, it won't render with Iray, I just get a blank image.

I figured I'd just caryy on with 4.21 but no, that now points to 4.22 and for the life of me, I can't find a version of 4.21 anywhere to roll back and get on with my projects.

I would really appreciate any help with either (preferably) a copy of 4.21 or solutions to the above. Win 7/GeForce GTX 1080

Thanks in advance,

D

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035
    edited November 2023

oh dear win7 you should not have updated from 4.21 

good luck getting 4.21

(I haven't and won't on my Win7 rig (4.21 beta, 4.11 production build)

have on my Win 10 but still keep 4.11 handy in another folder

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • geoff6geoff6 Posts: 250

Yep, would have been nice if there was some obvious warning about this prior to my excitement at a new version!

D

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,841

No user has a legal right to give you a Daz Studio installer of any version. If you did not backup your 4.21 version yourself, you may be out of luck. You can submit a help request and as Daz customer service for the 4.21 version, but they may decline. Good luck. Give the help request a try.

I will do that, thanks for the tip.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035
    edited November 2023

I don't have properly woring Postregre and smart content on my Win10

(it works on the Win7)

tha's actually a separate issue and one I cannot help you with as I cannot help myself

I do know it's permissions, firewall etc related and have tried whitelisting etc

much doesn't work now on this rig since Windows was reinstalled after my C drive died not just DAZ stuff

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 108

barbult said:

No user has a legal right to give you a Daz Studio installer of any version. If you did not backup your 4.21 version yourself, you may be out of luck. You can submit a help request and as Daz customer service for the 4.21 version, but they may decline. Good luck. Give the help request a try.

Don't hold your breath though, cause you'll die... Submitted a request for GoZ install DIM for a previous version of studio 9 days ago and there has been no, 0, response.

UPDATE!

I have had a breakthrough with the CMS, that's all working well now. I need some help with rendering though, still nothing, which is a bit of a pain to say the least!

• geoff6 said:

UPDATE!

I have had a breakthrough with the CMS, that's all working well now. I need some help with rendering though, still nothing, which is a bit of a pain to say the least!

that's going to be the issue with it needing the Nvidia driver that doesn't support Win7 crying 

• Make sure that you stress in your ticket that you need the old version because you are using Windows 7, not just as a matter of taste.

Thanks, I did just that.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,841

HamEinar said:

barbult said:

Don't hold your breath though, cause you'll die... Submitted a request for GoZ install DIM for a previous version of studio 9 days ago and there has been no, 0, response.

Multiple week response time for technical support tickets is the norm these days, when you are lucky. I have submitted tickets that never got any human response at all. They just sit unanswered in "My Activities". A follow up ticket to ask why I never got a response also went completely unanswered. I had to just give up. The chance that anything would have been fixed is probably pretty small anyway.

Richard Haseltine said:

Make sure that you stress in your ticket that you need the old version because you are using Windows 7, not just as a matter of taste.

So, requesting a version because it happens to work is not a good enough reason?! 

• HamEinar said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Make sure that you stress in your ticket that you need the old version because you are using Windows 7, not just as a matter of taste.

So, requesting a version because it happens to work is not a good enough reason?! 

What do you mean by not work? I was suggesting stressing that it was Windows 7 precisely to make sure they realise this is an issue of not work, rather than a matter of taste. If you have some other issue that is preventing DS from working then you should report it, and yes ask for an older version if you have grounds to beleive it will help.

Richard Haseltine said:

HamEinar said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What do you mean by not work? I was suggesting stressing that it was Windows 7 precisely to make sure they realise this is an issue of not work, rather than a matter of taste. If you have some other issue that is preventing DS from working then you should report it, and yes ask for an older version if you have grounds to beleive it will help.

It would seem that the reason for any request is moot, as my initial request posted has not been looked at for 10 days now - 10 days without a word - free software or not, some of us have deadlines. On the bright side, it's another nudge in the direction of not relying on DS at all. Weird customer service approach to take the ignore route though

• Technical Support tickets can have quite a long turn around, and I would think following two months of major, sustained sales all tickets are likely to be further behind.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068

I would guess Daz never spent much time, if at all, testing v4.22 with Windows 7.  Why would they, everyone moved on to Windows 10 or 11, right? :)

If you really need to try it out, at least rename your old Daz directory to something else so the installer can't find it, as it will try to uninstall it.  

For me, I'm not even going to bother.  It looks like the last NVidia driver for Windows 7 was v474.66, so if the Daz Studio program is checking your NVidia driver version, it will break your computer if you try to do anything with Iray, as v4.22 wants no less than v526.98.

edited November 2023

There might be a way to prolong Windows 7 support.  Find a way to install Windows 10 NVidia drivers on Windows 7.  Yes, they're not intended for Windows 7, but that doesn't mean they're incompatible machine-wise, even if the installer balks.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • I just spen a few hundred dollars on new stuff that does not work properly witht he updated version. Is that enough reason to answer?

• contact_8c4cd5c6 said:

I just spen a few hundred dollars on new stuff that does not work properly witht he updated version. Is that enough reason to answer?

What new stuff? There are a couple of things with issues - soem Out Of Touch hairs, which may then affect others using the same shader if installed earlier, and .exrs with some FlipMode sets, whichc an be fixed by opening and resaving in a sutiable image editor (GIMP works, apparently). If it is other content it may well not be the DS version but some other factor - explainig the issue(s) may let us solve them, or may show that there is a bug which needs addressing 9and which you coudl then, pending a content update, take to suport as reason to need to roll back to 4.21.0.5).

• WOW good to know I am not the only one with the nightmare of 4.22. Even posting request for help, my latest post last night trying to figure out why DazCentral install multiples, went ignored.

I tried to render today...NOTHING. It gets a few seconds in, then stops. a small "there was an error rendering" then blank canvas.

Daz is seriously underestimating the issues! People have invested money, ALLOT of money into their content and their work and DAZ Is just blithely ignoring the nightmare that has become 4.22!

"

Richard Haseltine said:

Why should people need to "Roll back"? Clearly this thing wasnt properly tested. Why did DazCentral, your own installer, so poor??

Why the heck is the support so poor?

Daz has been one of the longest running sites/content creators around...you are telling me it's staff or rather the company, cant hire more people to deal with backlog? To address VALID issues??

People are getting harsh and nippy because they have invested money and cant use anything! Some people are losing money and now seeing "it may take weeks"?

What the heck???

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102

I have 4.15, 4.21 Beta, 4.22 Beta and 4.22 all loaded on my Laptop and all working faultlessly...so far :)

• DarkElegance said:

WOW good to know I am not the only one with the nightmare of 4.22. Even posting request for help, my latest post last night trying to figure out why DazCentral install multiples, went ignored.

I tried to render today...NOTHING. It gets a few seconds in, then stops. a small "there was an error rendering" then blank canvas.

Daz is seriously underestimating the issues! People have invested money, ALLOT of money into their content and their work and DAZ Is just blithely ignoring the nightmare that has become 4.22!

"

Richard Haseltine said:

Why should people need to "Roll back"? Clearly this thing wasnt properly tested. Why did DazCentral, your own installer, so poor??

In this case, the version of iray includd in 4.22 does not work with the newest driver avaialble for Windows 7 so rolling back is the only way to have GPU-assisted rendering.

Daz Central is being phased out in favour of Install Manager - but what does "so poor" mean?

Why the heck is the support so poor?

Daz has been one of the longest running sites/content creators around...you are telling me it's staff or rather the company, cant hire more people to deal with backlog? To address VALID issues??

I don't follow that at all.

People are getting harsh and nippy because they have invested money and cant use anything! Some people are losing money and now seeing "it may take weeks"?

That is not the general experience, the number of problem reports is not as large as with some previous builds. Some of them seem to be specific issues (mostly related to the updated iray), some are matters of taste rather than actual faults (the New Scene dialogue), some are deliberate design chnages (which have workaround, in cases like Paramater Settings not being available in non-node setting panes or the alert with zero commands,) and soem do seem to be real problems - though not necessarily directly "problems with 4.22".

What the heck???

• contact_8c4cd5c6contact_8c4cd5c6 Posts: 11
    edited November 2023

I am done complaining. Like, seriously, either I am just going to keep dealing with this or the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have invested int this, I will just need to pruchase licenses to move my content to iClone. 

Post edited by contact_8c4cd5c6 on
  • contact_8c4cd5c6 said:

I am done complaining. Like, seriously, either I am just going to keep dealing with this or the thousands upon thousands of dollars I have invested int this, I will just need to pruchase licenses to move my content to iClone. 

you don't need licenses to render your DAZ content in iClone

you just cannot redistribute 3D mesh to others

rendering in any software is fine, be it iClone, Unreal, Blender, Unitity, Max, Maya whatever 

I frequently use Carrara (which of course DAZ owns) and Unreal engine, Twinmotion and iClone myself

iClone 8, system requirements:
    Windows 11, 10, 8 and 7 (SP1)*

And I think they do support iRay rendering, but it's packaged into something called NVIDIA Omniverse.

So, what's the difference between Daz Studio v4.22 and iClone 8, in terms of iRay rendering?

• geoff6 said:

UPDATE!

Mind spilling the beans? I just updated to 4.22 and am having major CMS issues, the normal fixes aren't quite cutting it.

Please and thank you. With a cherry.

• Updated to 4.22 on windows 10 and I cannot view images in Perspective View other than in white. Render paine comes up but doe not render. I've never had a single issue with any of the many versions of Daz I have had other than with this version. Highly disapointed.