Am I doomed if I delete My DAZ 3D Library/data?

Ok first of all, don't mess with system files when you are sleepy. And do backups from time to time even it seems unnecessary. 

Now I've tried all recover methods but the data folder is gone. I wonder if DIM could do something like reinstall all files so there will be a new data folder? Or it's better to reinstall EVERYTHING? Can someone please give me an advice.

Btw it's Macpro not PC. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,173
    edited November 2023

Oh...I don't think you are doomed. There should be no difference in b/t PC / Mac in terms of install/unintall products with DIM. If you still have IM packages in you Download folder, just re-install them in Installed tab of DIM. Filter by Content, select all, RMB menu - Re-Install packages - All selected.

If you ever deleted IM packages, download them first... But for the content package(s) from 3rd-parties that you've ever manually dumped them into your Daz Library, you have to re-dump them again... 

Post edited by crosswind on
  • ElorElor Posts: 1,095

The main difference between Windows and MacOS: the later is more likely to screw your folder structure than the former, because MacOS Finder will not always ask if you want to merge, by default, two folders with the same name while, as far as I read, Windows File Explorer will automatically merge them without asking.

That's why I won't ever touch the folder used by DIM ever again: I have folders from third parties products and even with one folder for each category of products (one for clothes, one for poses, and so on), I did find new ways to screw something… Hopefully, now, I know them all but…

The lastest and most devious way is what's happened when I cancelled merging two folders (because I added clothes to the poses folder or something like that). I made the mistake to think that MacOS kept track of the files it added as it merged the source folder to the destination one, but no, it would make too much sense: MacOS only remembered the name of the folder, so when I hit CMD+Z, it deleted the whole fricking folder. Of course, it's a mistake I made a couple of times before even realising I was making it, let alone understanding what happened.

As for your problem, I don't know enough about DIM to know if it can fix it easily or not, sorry sad but I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be able to help you smiley

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,764

There is actually a key-combo you can hold down to bring up the merge option when dragging and dropping on the Mac. I agree it's not worth the danger tho as it's so easy to splat the existing contents - I'm sure most of us who have ever tried manually-installing content on OSX have done this :(

I would say re-installing the products via DIM is the correct answer and, if you don't already do so, make sure anything you install from other sources is added to a different base folder (e.g. a separate "Third Party" one). Then, you can just leave the Daz base library alone and let DIM handle putting stuff in there.

• crosswind said:

Oh...I don't think you are doomed. There should be no difference in b/t PC / Mac in terms of install/unintall products with DIM. If you still have IM packages in you Download folder, just re-install them in Installed tab of DIM. Filter by Content, select all, RMB menu - Re-Install packages - All selected.

If you ever deleted IM packages, download them first... But for the content package(s) from 3rd-parties that you've ever manually dumped them into your Daz Library, you have to re-dump them again... 

That worked! Many many thanks! 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,173

mengyiliu384 said:

crosswind said:

That worked! Many many thanks! 

That's great ! No problem, my plearsure smiley