How can I use textures on this KFC model to show up correctly?

launoklaunok Posts: 793
edited November 2015 in Bryce Discussion

Normally when I export Sketchup models to Bryce, all textures works greatly.  But with this specific model, some are not showing. sad

If I ungroup the model as shown in attachment, the building and parking terrain are 1 model.  Thus if I add a texture to it, everything turns to the texture chosen.  I have noticed asphalt textures included and thought they are for the parking area.  And the 'red' lines as seen on the original model roof part are not shown either in Bryce.  Though if I look at the textures I can't see images which could be the red lines?

Are there ways to ungroup the model further so that the building can be parted from the parking lot?

Any help are much appreciated! smiley

Capture - KFC1 sketchup.JPG
1360 x 768 - 106K
Capture - KFC2 obj exported.JPG
1360 x 768 - 151K
Capture - KFC3 obj imported Bryce.JPG
1360 x 768 - 113K
Capture - KFC4 ungrouped.JPG
1360 x 768 - 213K
Post edited by launok on

Comments

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

In Sketchup is the Parking lot & Building the same mesh?

• launoklaunok Posts: 793
    edited November 2015
    S Ray said:

In Sketchup is the Parking lot & Building the same mesh?

Hi S Ray, yes it seems it's the case but not quite as I could remove parts.

Just last night I got an idea to try something directly within SketchUp which helped somehow up to a point.  As you will notice on the attached image the main building still lost its original textures (used Bryce texture instead).  I have even tried in SketchUp to add new textures to the main building as a test, i.e. brick walls, the same textures I had used some time back on my own shop building which worked in Bryce ... but not in this instance. frown  No new textures are showing up in Bryce on this particular model!  Very strange, unless it's the way the original KFC building is created.  Not sure if it was created originally in Sketchup, or not.  Can't email the creator as there's no option.

Though, I have another building of a McDonald's building which works perfectly in Bryce, textures and all! smiley  But since I wanted a KFC and the one I am trying on is the best I could fine at the Google SketchUp Warehouse, I've tried to remove the parking terrain and took the McDonald's parking terrain to use for KFC part.  This is only a WIP since the KFC building's not quite fitting but I have to play more with the model for better outcomes.  Also still need to put glass textures on the main door and windows on right (sunny) side of building.  I have also noticed on the terrain part "blue" lines which seems it's the sky shining through - suppose to be road markings.

Also not very noticeable on the image, the interiors are just fine! smiley

TRY 11f.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 74K
    Post edited by launok on
  • S RayS Ray Posts: 398
    edited November 2015
    Yes this looks way better. I like that you can manipulate a model to fit your needs.  Creating your own models  can be very challenging & rewarding.                                      

Have you tried UV Mapper there is a free version ( UV Mapper Classic} http://www.uvmapper.com/download/uvmapper030a.zip     ;
    It is a great tool for a modeler. It can remap, Then save a template  & new  mesh with the new UV coordinates & a MTL file to tell the mesh where & how to load the map to the  OBJ model. UV mapper 
    free version only works with obj formats

Post edited by Chohole on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793
    edited November 2015

A new test render.

KFC new try 1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 329K
    Post edited by launok on