Importing geoshells into UE 5.x

What is the best way to import characters with geoshells into unreal 5.x? No photoshop or gimp please. If y'all can help it. I don't have nor have the intelligence capabilities for those programs.

Comments

• I don't think UE has an equivalent of Geometry Shells, so whata re they being used for in DS?

• Oiled skin and tattoos mostly 

• I think that Unreal has an equivalent to layered images, which should be able to handle tattoos if so.

• mrpdean_7efbae9610mrpdean_7efbae9610 Posts: 113
    edited November 2023
    Geoshells are not well suited to game engines, not least because you're increasing the poly count on your character. I'd suggest learning how to make your own materials in UE instead.
    Post edited by mrpdean_7efbae9610 on
  • If not making my own materials thank you very much mrpdean_7efbae9610! I'm also not making any games in UE. I'm rendering still images in UE. I have a geoshell for veiny breasts for g9 I want to use too. Is there a pipeline to convert maybe the whole character with the geoshell to a form UE can import? Maybe export to blender in fbx and/or convert it to obj and reimport and auto rig and pose it it in Daz and then import it in UE? I forgot who suggested that but someone suggested that to me.

• milliethegreat said:

If not making my own materials thank you very much mrpdean_7efbae9610! I'm also not making any games in UE. I'm rendering still images in UE.

Saying you want to render in a particular application but refusing to learn even the basics of how it's material system works makes no sense to me.

Is there a pipeline to convert maybe the whole character with the geoshell to a form UE can import? 

Off the top of my head, I can think of one pipeline for getting the complete figure with geoshell into UE but it also won't auto-magically set up the nessecary materials for you so I'll leave it at that.

• mrpdean_7efbae9610 I'm intellectually challenged and learning complex skills is highly frustrating and daunting and frequently results in me giving up. Is that difficult for you to understand? Not everyone here has a degree in graphic art 

• mrpdean_7efbae9610 said:

milliethegreat said:

If not making my own materials thank you very much mrpdean_7efbae9610! I'm also not making any games in UE. I'm rendering still images in UE.

Saying you want to render in a particular application but refusing to learn even the basics of how it's material system works makes no sense to me.

Is there a pipeline to convert maybe the whole character with the geoshell to a form UE can import? 

Off the top of my head, I can think of one pipeline for getting the complete figure with geoshell into UE but it also won't auto-magically set up the nessecary materials for you so I'll leave it at that.

As long as it's idiot/noob friendly (please say it is please say it is) I guess I have no choice but to try it as I don't see any other options other than give up. So what is it? How much 3d graphics college classes do I have to take to figure out how to do it?(Please say none please say none)

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited February 17

Post edited by catmaster on