Carrara Short Animation

This is our entry in the Houston 48 Hour Film Contest 2023.  The genre is "Film de Femme" (a strong female character), the prop a framed picture, the character someone in the rodeo business, and the line " MM-mmm, that smells good". There were a couple of dozen teams, including two animations.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858

interesting BTS idea

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

Very Cool!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Thanks, folks.  As always, Carrara made it possible to play this game.  yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Great job.  You got a lot of references into a relatively short stretch of time.  Cool.

Diomede said:

Great job.  You got a lot of references into a relatively short stretch of time.  Cool.

Thanks.  I doubt the judges see that as a great plus, although I find it great fun.  The great majority of teams are live action, with the judges giving points for good acting and directing, and rightfully so.  One entry this year in particular had a very good actor doing a very convincing extended performance, mostly solo.  I voted for it (it was also well filmed), but find it very tough to do that with animation in a short time.

To further my point about a good actor doing an extended solo performance, this is maybe the best ever.  Robert Shaw in the movie "Jaws", playing a fishing boat captain remembering his Navy days on the doomed USS Indianopolis, which delivered the atomic bomb to be dropped on Japan.  The three man crew is, of course, chasing a huge killer shark at the time.  The Richard Dreyfuss character in the background looks kind of stunned listening to the story.  They say the actor Richard Dreyfuss really was stunned at the performance of Shaw.  It's a four minute monologue, about the same length as a 48 Hour film entry.  OK, the 48 Hour contest actor I mentioned is not this good, who is.  But he was pretty good. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

Great clip! Amazing Performance!

Dartanbeck said:

Great clip! Amazing Performance!

Yup.  Here's another alltime favorite in the same category: a great actor carrying the scene on his shoulders (the clip is over eight minutes, the key part starts at 6:20):