Daz crashing after switching to Iray preview mode

mark212160mark212160 Posts: 18

I recently upgraded my RTX 3060 to a 3090 but have been experiencing crashes in a certain scene (The scene contains STZ Bedroom 7, a G8F, a Daz House Cat, a snow prop from DA Let It Snow, a moon from Terra Dome 3 and a cityscape backdrop).

My current spec: i5-10400F + EVGA FTW Ultra RTX 3090 + 64GB RAM

DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64-bit)

Before you ask, I have reassembled my computer to make sure everything is in place, updated Windows 10, double-checked I'm using the latest driver (31.0.15.4584), manually set page files to a minimum of 96GB and a maximum of 256GB, and run some demanding applications to ensure the GPU is working normally (Battlefield 2042 and rendering in Blender).

Does anyone have potential solutions to this problem? I'm starting to wonder why bother with the upgrade if I can't render things without worrying about crashes in Daz...

txt
txt
log (Edited).txt
txt
txt
log.txt
1M
Post edited by mark212160 on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Which version of Daz Studio are you running?

I remember there was an issue with TIFF files, but as far as I know it is fixed.

In the log there are many activities as part of rendering, loading geometry, loading textures etc. Maybe try to attach the log so people can see how long in the process it came.

• mark212160mark212160 Posts: 18
    edited October 2023

felis said:

Which version of Daz Studio are you running?

I remember there was an issue with TIFF files, but as far as I know it is fixed.

In the log there are many activities as part of rendering, loading geometry, loading textures etc. Maybe try to attach the log so people can see how long in the process it came

DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5 Pro

Log file attached

Edit: I also attached another edited log file so there's no repetitive information accumulated from the previous sessions.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    1M
    txt
    txt
    log (Edited).txt

Not really sure what is going on.

Looks like it renders a number of iterations, and then start over. But I can't find any "Finished rendering".

I think there might be one object that is the culprit.

You can try hiding (click the eye icon in scene tab) half of your objects, and see if it renders. If, then the trouble object should be among the hidden. Then repeat till you have have one suspect left.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,874
    edited October 2023

felis said:

Looks like it renders a number of iterations, and then start over. But I can't find any "Finished rendering".

You can try hiding (click the eye icon in scene tab) half of your objects, and see if it renders. If, then the trouble object should be among the hidden. Then repeat till you have have one suspect left.

I vaguely recall that a render that keeps restarting is an indication of low VRAM, which certainly shouldn't be the case after upgrading to a 3090. Maybe there's insufficient system RAM to keep up with the 3090?

Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2023

felis said:

Those iterations were from previous sessions. I was trying to test whether my PC could render simple primitives without crashing, which turned out fine.

I vaguely recall that a render that keeps restarting is an indication of low VRAM, which certainly shouldn't be the case after upgrading to a 3090. Maybe there's insufficient system RAM to keep up with the 3090?

I specifically said I have 64GB of RAM, which should be enough for such a simple scene, right? RIGHT? *Laughing nervously*

• felis said:

Okay, I added the objects one by one and it crashed when I added the snow prop and left me with a fatal error message (see screenshot attached below).

Strangely, I have successfully rendered that exact snow prop before with 3090, and everything went smoothly (also see the render attached below).

Screenshot 1.png
    532 x 510 - 31K
    Lily Smoking.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

Some says that it is recomended to have 3 times VRAM as RAM, so that would be 72 GB, but I would assume that you should be fine.You could try to monitoring your RAM usage.

What looked weird to me was something like this

2023-10-22 14:18:05.012 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00623 iterations after 3.671s.
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.228 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00665 iterations after 3.888s.
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.333 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Using iray core convergence estimate.
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.333 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Allocating 1-layer frame buffer
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.334 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Using interactive scheduling, caustic sampler disabled
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.338 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.338 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : 	CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090)
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.338 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.338 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Processing scene...
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.346 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Scene processed in 0.008s
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.346 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.4   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Allocated 793.574 KiB for frame buffer
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.346 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Allocated 1.906 GiB of work space (2048k active samples in 0.000s)
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.346 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Optimizing for cooperative usage (performance could be sacrificed)
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.351 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00001 iterations after 0.012s.
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.352 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.358 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00003 iterations after 0.018s.
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.360 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.360 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Using iray core convergence estimate.
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.361 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.361 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Processing scene...
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.361 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Scene processed in 0.000s
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.361 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Allocated 1.906 GiB of work space (2048k active samples in 0.000s)
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.366 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00001 iterations after 0.004s.
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.367 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2023-10-22 14:18:05.373 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00003 iterations after 0.010s.

It goes from iteration 665 and 0.3 sec later it starts on iteration 1.

If your system fine renders simpler scenes, I would suggest as mentioned above, to try to hide some objects and see how that goes.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

One thing that jumped out was the free space on your C-drive, have you checked during rendering, how low it gets?

Are you using denoiser?

• PerttiA said:

One thing that jumped out was the free space on your C-drive, have you checked during rendering, how low it gets?

Are you using denoiser?

35.4 GB remaining

No, I'm not using denoiser.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,173
    edited October 2023

@mark212160,

You checked CPU in Render Settings - Advanced - Devices List ? If so, pls first uncheck it and try again.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

@mark212160,

You checked CPU in Render Settings - Advanced - Devices List ? If so, pls first uncheck it and try again.

No, I have never allowed CPU fallback. It's always unchecked. I only use GPU to render stuff.

edited October 2023

Most of the time, it's not really easy to identify the culprit for DS application crash...

Will you check in here :C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\CrashDumps. If you see a very latest Crash Dump file, that file could be analyzed with WinDbg for seeking some clues. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/

For instance, if the analysis result indicates to nv..xxx, that might be related to graphics card or card driver...

edited October 2023

crosswind said:

Most of the time, it's not really easy to identify the culprit for DS application crash...

Will you check in here :C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\CrashDumps. If you see a very latest Crash Dump file, that file could be analyzed with WinDbg for seeking some clues. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/

For instance, if the analysis result indicates to nv..xxx, that might be related to graphics card or card driver...

Nope, nothing. The last crash dump file was created back on August 15, so it shouldn't be relevant.

Edit: I couldn't find the CrashDumps folder under C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\CrashDumps. I had to go to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\CrashDumps to find the files. Let me know whether that's the correct designated folder.

edited October 2023

mark212160 said:

crosswind said:

Nope, nothing. The last crash dump file was created back on August 15, so it shouldn't be relevant.

Edit: I couldn't find the CrashDumps folder under C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\CrashDumps. I had to go to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\CrashDumps to find the files. Let me know whether that's the correct designated folder.

What about this folder C:\Windows\Minidump, any latest dump ?

BTW, have you recently installed any new plug-in into DS ?

And if you're now using DS General Release version, you may download and install a Public Build version to have a test. Since a new fresh Public Build is only with default plug-ins, it'll be much cleaner for a test.

• crosswind said:

mark212160 said:

crosswind said:

What about this folder C:\Windows\Minidump, any latest dump ?

I found it! Debug file is attached below.

txt
    txt
    Debug.txt
  • BTW, have you recently installed any new plug-in into DS ?

Nope, I didn't install any new plug-ins after the upgrade. 

The plug-ins that I have so far are Man Friday's render queue, figure converter, mesh grabber, animate 2, C66 graphics, Orbital Lights, GoZ and histogram pane.

From the dump analysis, I'm not able to tell a solid reason though Windows exception code c0000374 might be related to graphics card driver.  Are you using a Studio driver of 3090?

edited October 2023

crosswind said:

From the dump analysis, I'm not able to tell a solid reason though Windows exception code c0000374 might be related to graphics card driver.  Are you using a Studio driver of 3090?

I always update the driver through Geforce Experience and download the file that pops up. I've never noticed Studio driver.

Edit: Apparently, I've always downloaded game-ready drivers. I'm downloading the studio version now.

mark212160 said:

crosswind said:

I always update the driver through Geforce Experience and download the file that pops up. I've never noticed Studio driver.

We always suggest download and update drivers in here -: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us, and choose Download Type - Studio Driver, for Daz Studio. You may try it.

And still, strongly recommend installing a DS Public Build version for testing.

• crosswind said:

mark212160 said:

crosswind said:

We always suggest download and update drivers in here -: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us, and choose Download Type - Studio Driver, for Daz Studio. You may try it.

Okay, I've updated the driver to the latest studio version and restarted my computer. I loaded the same scene to both DS public build and DS general build and both applications still crashed upon switching to Iray preview.

mark212160 said:

crosswind said:

mark212160 said:

crosswind said:

Okay, I've updated the driver to the latest studio version and restarted my computer. I loaded the same scene to both DS public build and DS general build and both applications still crashed upon switching to Iray preview.

So, it's weird. A prop from an old product - Let It Snow makes DS crash when previewing... I don't own the product... hmmm. Have you checked the surfaces on the prop ? Is it iray MDL shader or 3DL RSL shader?

• So, it's weird. A prop from an old product - Let It Snow makes DS crash when previewing... I don't own the product... hmmm. Have you checked the surfaces on the prop ? Is it iray MDL shader or 3DL RSL shader?

Iray Uber (MDL)

Now your DS and graphics card driver are both up-to-date and optimal, only that snow Prop ever worked with 3060 but doesn't work with 3090 (same series cards)... it really doesn't make sense. I cannot figure it out for the time being. Or you may send a support request while seeing if other guys have some good ideas.

• crosswind said:

Now your DS and graphics card driver are both up-to-date and optimal, only that snow Prop ever worked with 3060 but doesn't work with 3090 (same series cards)... it really doesn't make sense. I cannot figure it out for the time being. Or you may send a support request while seeing if other guys have some good ideas.

Thanks for guiding me through everything even though the issue is still not resolved.