Why are Finger/Toenails very often ugly colored?

LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

Hey, I work since 3+ years now with daz3d and I encounter kinda with every char I load the same result: I hate the base color of the fingernails.

See attachment.

For the girls, I make it easy and just add nail polish.

But just genereally, it's annoying, is there some good preset for G8F+M which I can use on all to have clean nails for all?

Screenshot_203018-234.jpg
668 x 752 - 143K
Post edited by Loony on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,174

That mostly comes from Translucency and SSS settings on Fingernails surface. You may check and tweak them first.

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

crosswind said:

That mostly comes from Translucency and SSS settings on Fingernails surface. You may check and tweak them first.

I expect, that chars should have a correct skin, this does encounter nearly every char.

Loony said:

crosswind said:

I expect, that chars should have a correct skin, this does encounter nearly every char.

I used to see a lot of similar cases on G3/G8 chars, but seems it's been getting better and better. Now it seems there're fairly less similar cases on G9 chars

crosswind said:

Loony said:

crosswind said:

I used to see a lot of similar cases on G3/G8 chars, but seems it's been getting better and better. Now it seems there're fairly less similar cases on G9 chars

Is there not some nice shader pack we can buy which give good natural nails for every G8 char? (I use only G8).

Loony said:

crosswind said:

Loony said:

crosswind said:

Is there not some nice shader pack we can buy which give good natural nails for every G8 char? (I use only G8).

As for nails shaders, you may take a look at : https://www.daz3d.com/iray-nail-varnish-shaders-ultimate-collection

crosswind said:

Loony said:

crosswind said:

Loony said:

crosswind said:

As for nails shaders, you may take a look at : https://www.daz3d.com/iray-nail-varnish-shaders-ultimate-collection

It got never reported that the images shows 2x Volume 3? xD Volume 1+ 3+ 3

They look all very fancy.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Loony said:

If the character has a separate material for the nails, one could copy the material from the arms to the nails to see, if it looks more natural.

PerttiA said:

Loony said:

If the character has a separate material for the nails, one could copy the material from the arms to the nails to see, if it looks more natural.

wait what, I should copy the arms to the nails from a char? O_o

WOuld that not create very ugly results? :O

A quick example from https://www.daz3d.com/abel-for-genesis-3-male, the default setting is on the right which is totally unacceptable to me even if the character is not a young guy. Tweaking Translucency relevant slots is a quick way in most of the similar cases.

SNAG-2023-10-20-0034.png
    1911 x 1399 - 2M

crosswind said:

A quick example from https://www.daz3d.com/abel-for-genesis-3-male, the default setting is on the right which is totally unacceptable to me even if the character is not a young guy. Tweaking Translucency relevant slots is a quick way in most of the similar cases.

I think it would lesser confusing if your focused only on the elements you changed^^ like the firest few did you not touched :D

So: Trans. weight, Trans. color and SSS teint.

How do I know which color to choose?

And yes, this grey nails are really a problem at many chars, I don't know why they all have it :(

edited October 2023

Loony said:

crosswind said:

I think it would lesser confusing if your focused only on the elements you changed^^ like the firest few did you not touched :D

So: Trans. weight, Trans. color and SSS teint.

How do I know which color to choose?

And yes, this grey nails are really a problem at many chars, I don't know why they all have it :(

Since Translucency Color ( with weight value <1 ) is a mix with Base Color based on texture maps on their slots, with the same weight, the bigger value you set on RGB, the closer the color will be to the Base Color + Base Color Map, or mixed with Translucency SSS map.

As for why they all have such an ugly looking, well I would only say the settings from the authors might be based on their preferences but mostly not appropriate. Besides, with different lighting patterns and color temperature, etc., the result would be different, so... we still need to tweak them by ourselves.

IMHO, most of the time, 'Out of the box' is a dream...and that's why we have to be always learning. devil

Post edited by crosswind on
    But skins does usually look good, out of the box, it's just the nails. I assume the people design them not with the standard hdri.

Loony said:

But skins does usually look good, out of the box, it's just the nails. I assume the people design them not with the standard hdri.

Yeah, but that still depends on one's preferences. To me, 80%+ skin mat. presets could not be directly used as per my preferences. devil

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068

Does someone have a script that can examine a character's skin, and apply the correct "natural" setting to the nails?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Loony said:

PerttiA said:

Loony said:

wait what, I should copy the arms to the nails from a char? O_o

WOuld that not create very ugly results? :O

The textures for arms and nails are the same. 

1_Copy.jpg
    599 x 565 - 51K
    2_Paste.jpg
    595 x 563 - 51K
    Seven193 said:

Does someone have a script that can examine a character's skin, and apply the correct "natural" setting to the nails?

That ist the Magic, we try to find out;)
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2023

I was just thinking if character creators follow some standard formula for creating fingernails, copy this from that, take 80% of this color from that, etc... then just create a script to do it automatically.

Post edited by Seven193 on

Doable.. though that'll take some time.