Is my computer adequate to do animation in DS?

Whenver I play a figure aniblock or "scrub" my playhead, the playback only shows every 20th frame or so.

When I watch other people's tutorials on DS animation, their playback is smooth.

So I'm wondering whether my computer is even usable for doing DS animation.

Windows 10 Pro

Intel Xeon E5-1620 0 3.6Ghz (Hewlett-Packard Z420 Workstation)

48 GB system RAM

GigaByte Gforce Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB VRAM

Daz Studio 4.11.0.383 Pro Edition
or
Daz Studio 4.21.1.80 Public Build

Operating system and programs on C: drive - OSSD512GBTSS2

User files and Daz library on E: drive - ST2000DL001-9VT156

Comments

• It depends on what you are after. If you want photorealism with recent generations (7,8,8.1,9) then it looks like you would severely stress your system. If you use early generations (3,4,5,6) or you want a more cartoony effect it might do okay.

The rendering industry has changed a lot in 20 years. With Michael 4, graphic cards were almost unknown, so 6 GB-V is great. WIth Michael 9 and the much larger maps involved 6 GB-V is quite limiting.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,874
    edited October 2023

A lot of the things that affect viewport performance have nothing to do with computer specs. The number of morphs you have installed, whether or not smoothing is enabled, the number of JCMs, and so on. I have very little G1 content, so my viewport performance is perfectly smooth. Do the same thing with a G8F, and I get 1 frame per second or less.

edit: I should add that I've got a 24-core Threadripper CPU with 128GB of RAM and an NVidia RTX A5000 24GB GPU, and my G8 STILL looks like that in the viewport. I could improve the performance if I wanted to, for example by deleting unneeded morphs and/or using Turbo Loader, but I don't animate in DS anyway.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2023

Gordig said:

A lot of the things that affect viewport performance have nothing to do with computer specs. The number of morphs you have installed, whether or not smoothing is enabled, the number of JCMs, and so on. I have very little G1 content, so my viewport performance is perfectly smooth. Do the same thing with a G8F, and I get 1 frame per second or less.

Hm, I've been customizing G1 for years and use nothing else, basically. I have millions of morphs etc, and my viewport is still perfectly smooth. It's something else, believe me;) 

But yeah I don't use smoothing modifiers etc while animating, might hide stuff temporarily, which is where grouping the various scene elements comes in place, so you can quickly hide/unhide stuff. 

DS uses exactly one core for playback if I'm not mistaken. So, for checking your animation, you can always enable the "play all frames" feature.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Thanks for your replies, y'all.

Next time I venture into animation on DS, I will experiment with the difference between G1 and G8, and the "Play all frames" setting.