Can MS Access be used to catalog content

Can MS Acess be used to catalog content?  If so, are there any good youtube videos to help me figure out MS Access?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

MS Access is a database, so yes it can be used to catalogue content.

But first you must figure out how you would like it organised. That is a task of the user.

The strength of a database is that you can have several tables that can be combined, but it requires that there is a consistent structure.

I am not aware of what YouTube tutorials there are.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited October 2023

@Sfariah D :

Not 100% sure on this regarding what @felis stated, but don't believe MS Access can be used stand-alone as a database.

I could be wrong, because it has been almost two decades since I have used it in a professional compacity (paid to use, and create database program with it), or at all.

However, our database was MS Excel (which I also had to be proficient in), and our MS Access program was just the GUI that utilized the MS Excel sheets as the database  --  All the actual data was stored in MS Excel.

So, can MS Access store data by itself, I do not know (felis might), but as I code for Daz Studio now with DazScript, it sure feels the same when creating the scripts dialog (GUI) with Qt Designer and utilizing the DS API for the data calls (the same way Access did with the Excel calls).

*EDIT:  Not sure regarding tutorials either, as I worked from a 300 - 400 page API creation manual when creating the Access program with Excel database back around the turn of the new Century.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,174
    edited October 2023

No worry guys, technically MS Access can do the job though I'm not so sure how OP would catalog the product assets / contents.

A couple of years ago I happened to develop a simple application to catalog the products from 3rd-parties ( mainly from Rendo site ), just for searching / filtering and reminding me of using them. So MS Access was built as a backend database (I just set 4 tables there) as Access is pretty light and easy to use.

Then after I learnt and knew how to access and well use Daz cms database with SQL and my another Delphi app. to manipulate metadata there, I gave up that Access-based application.

So if OP wanna use Access only, that'll be fine. You need to create tables/queries and forms within Access as needed... Still, that'll depend how you manage the contents you have... But I don't know either about any tutorials on youtube. OP may search the key words there.

Another Option: If you have all metadata in cms for the assets you own, I strongly recommend using Navicat for postgreSQL. You can directly manage and 'catalog' what you have in cms by buiding Queries in Visual way, and export the results to lots of formats (MS Excel, Access, HTML, XML, JSON, etc.). The software is cheap but fairly strong.

SNAG-2023-10-13-0006.png
    1506 x 885 - 385K
    SNAG-2023-10-13-0007.png
    2264 x 1343 - 163K
    SNAG-2023-10-13-0008.png
    2560 x 1400 - 241K
    SNAG-2023-10-13-0009.png
    2560 x 1400 - 254K
    Post edited by crosswind on