More Male Characters for Gen9???

I thought about sending this directly to the Daz folks as a feedback thing, but I guess the forum discussion might be better all around. Here's my problem:

I'm finding it VERY slow going to get started with Genesis 9 in my workflow.

On the one hand, I don't have a ton of money to drop in these years for a total shift, but I have been open to filling my wishlist with stuff I could potentially need. The actual problem with my case is that I really can't find, or don't know how to find, a selection of male characters with skin maps and all to use for my male characters. I use a lot of male characters in my art because that's what I like (I'm a woman), but it appears that graphic/3D artists mostly like to design women. Any and every time I go looking for male characters in Gen9 I don't seem to find much, much less youthful prettyboy types. I think I'm seeing big hulking rugged men which don't work for my art either.

I'm also not quite sure what to search for to find a nice catalogue especially since Gen9 is managing to be both sexes at once. 

So that's it. I recently bought a Gen9 female character and was really impressed at how realistic she looked in the render--zooming into her eyeballs was almost freaky real! So I can see how I might get excited about this later down the road but alas, my favorite and most-used male character whom I'm crafting in Gen9 currently is still skinless. frown If this actually is an issue with the store/availability, then please fix! But if I'm somehow missing something please let me know, because it's starting to feel a little irking that we've had Gen9 for this long and I STILL can't find some options for males to complete my basic toolset.

Wanted: youthful caucasian prettyboy types, skin ranging from fair to tan. Also long straight hair ranging to waist length with male style hairline.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,575
    edited October 2023

Traditionally, female characters sell much better than male which is why you see more of them in the store, but it has gotten better over the years.

As for searching, try using the blue bar at the top for characters- human - masculine and then in the figure section below search Genesis 9 and it gives me about 100 male characters (see attached image)

Another thing to try is applying the female skins to the male figure morph. There have been quite a few examples in the forums with some great results doing this.

Also keep in mind there are a ton of morphs that you can purchase (some free) to apply to any character to make it how you want. You don't have to rely on what a PA creates to have your dream figure.

As for what you want, have you seen this product?  https://www.daz3d.com/chb-lorenzo-for-genesis-9

searchmale.jpg
    1326 x 825 - 685K
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • ElorElor Posts: 700
    edited October 2023

Hello,

It'll not help to easily sort clothes, hairs or poses by gender (I don't think there is a solution available currently), but there is a page that should help you find most of the characters themselves:

https://www.daz3d.com/masculine#filter_compat_figures=Genesis%209&filtered=1

I say most because some PAs provide what I would call (for the lack of a better word) 'Sister and Brother' Genesis 9 bundles, as in bundles with at least morphs for both genders, and depending on what is considered the main character (the sister or the brother), the product will be placed in the feminine or the masculine categorie.

On the top of my head, the three Genesis 9 characters by @Changelingchick offer both a masculine and a feminine option, and each product page usually has tons of renders to see how both genders look. Among them, one is a 'brother' bundle - CC Fawkes and Dalton for Genesis 9 - while the two others are 'sister' bundles.

Most Daz Original Genesis 9 characters (like Victoria 9, Michael 9, etc), regardless of their genders, usually have some options allowing the use of their skin with the opposite genders, like two chest skin textures (one with nipples placed where they would be on a man's chest, the other for a woman's chest) and anatomical textures for both genders.

Maybe, as a last resort, some Daz Original Genesis 9 Feminine skins could work for the character you're creating, if none of the masculine characters provide what you're looking for.

An example with Michael 9, first with his own skin texture, then with Victoria 9's second skin (the most recognizable I would say, with vitiligo). It's the only change between the two pictures, the rest (pose, clothes, hair) is identitical.

Michael 9 - Michael Skin.jpg
    1500 x 2427 - 214K
    Michael 9 - Victoria Skin.jpg
    1500 x 2427 - 220K
    Post edited by Elor on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750
    edited October 2023

Genesis 9 Starter Essentials was just updated with six new characters, three women (Amala, Kat, & Laura) and three men (Fabrice, Matt, & Ty). I tested out Fabrice and he has a wonderful skin/sculpt but I haven't got to the other five yet. These characters also add to the free morphs for your use. This is free and comes with Daz Studio, so you should have received the update in DIM a few weeks ago.

If you haven't purchased the Daz Originals morph packs, look them up and wishlist them. Many characters rely on them. The suggestions above are excellent and what I do. 

I look to see if a character is mentioned in the forums or used in a render in the gallery when I am looking at the promo pages. For older items this can give you a great deal of information on what is good or bad about it. You can decide if it will be worth your money and time if there is an issue. And something to remember, if you can stand waiting for a sale, wishlist the product to save money.

I keep my eye out on female characters for those who offer male nipples and gens options, or go full out and create a male version of the female. It is a two for one deal then, and especially good if the PA makes great skins and features. It pays to read the details the PA writes out on the promo pages.

Mary

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,238

go there and filter by Gen 9? https://www.daz3d.com/characters

I dont know, was that their question?

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2023

Genesis 9 basic figure and mesh design looks actually better on male characters, than female.
    To me Genesis 9 is male.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • JCarverJCarver Posts: 35

Wow, thanks everyone for your help! And sorry I have been absent, my life is hectic. But I have not yet noticed that blue bar for browsing before, FSMCDesigns, LOL, I was only using keywords. You guys make a good point, I should maybe pay more attention to female characters with the nipple options, as I would prefer to have a very pale skin tone, maybe with translucency options. And eyeliner makeup would be wonderful lol. In genesis 8 the perfect skin seemed to be Tathar's, but I've been having trouble finding anything similar.

Thanks for the link, Lilweep, I don't know—I was just feeling lost and confused. I didn't really know what to ask directly.

Thank you for the links everybody! Maybe I can find something satisfying soon. It's just kind of tough since I have NO idea what it's going to look like until I buy it, so it's a gamble every time. And waiting for sales can be a pretty lengthy process, let me tell ya!