AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core with Geforce 3060

Would a Ryzen 5 5600x plus a 3060 and 32 GB of ram be emough for Iray rendering? I don;t need to have render done in 5 seconds I just want to be able to render a decent scene in a few minutes.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,174

That really depends on how big your scene is, i.e. how much VRAM the scene will consume for rendering...

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

I doubt most here have a render in Daz Studio done in a few minutes, LOL You might be able to get a naked figure with an HDRI to render in a few minutes. One thing to keep in mind is that all assets like clothing, hair, enviroments, etc are all made differently, some render quickly, others take a day to render. Then there are other factors like the types of lighting used and how many lights in a scene as well as the mesh resolution and texture sizes. Daz Studio is free and comes with some characters, hair and clothing. download it and see for yourself.

• The terms decent scene and a few minutes are rather vague. Depending on what is on scene and the target resolution I doubt most hardware configurations would take a few minutes to complete a render, specially using iRay. The 3060 has decent amounts of VRAM but it's not exactly a blazing fast GPU.

Render times are extremely subjective and if your focus is speed then compromises will definetely need to be made. If you want rather quick renders then iRay isn't likely going to give you that (Filament might but it's not the same thing)

• FabeFabe Posts: 222

Oh I'vew been playing with DAZ on and off since 2011 it's just I need to upgrade my hardware so I can work  with all the latest stuff and a $2000 GPU is out oif the  question.

• Ideally the RAM you will have will be around 3x the VRAM of the GPU. 32Gb isn't quite there, but it's probably enough for most situations. I was rendering 2 basic figures and an UltraScenery environment with 24Gb RAM and a 6Gb GTX1060 on Win7 until last december.

I have only once dropped to CPU from my RTX 3060, and that was rendering 14 G8 figures (no background). It rendered in GPU at 8...

Rule of thumb with G8 is 2Gb VRAM per person + 2Gb system + 2Gb for a simple US background = VRAM usage and should be no more than VRAM present.

So.. Yeah. You will certainly be able to do a reasonable US scene with a few figures. You may find that the RAM is a limitation, and going to 64Gb would be a reasonable long term upgrade.

Regards,

Richard

@richardandtracy

BY figures do you mean all objects in a scene or just characters?

OK so my planned systeam build is going to be

Ryzen 7 5700G 8 core 16 threads

Geforce RTX 30360 12GB

64 GB ram or at least 32 GB

about how many g8-g9 figures plus evnviroment should I be able to render?

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 285
    edited October 2023

If you can stretch to it, the RTX 4070 is a fair bit faster than the 3060 but pricing varies from market to market. The price differential is not huge where I am but your market may well be different. You still only get 12GB of VRAM though so it's purely a matter of determining if the speed increase (30% to 40%) is worth the increased cost.

The replies you have already had have really spelled out how nebulous any answers to your questions will be. How many figures? Depends! How complex are the outfits going to be, will you be using strand-based dForce hair, will you be using a geometry and texture heavy environment? Do you plan to use HD figures or 8k maps? 

If you're not doing anything too complex you should get a minimum of four characters in any scene but if you're rendering naked, bald characters on an HDRI beach you'll get a lot, lot more! See how difficult this is to answer? I know you want a number and four is what I'll suggest but I'm essentially licking a finger and holding it up to the wind. I could say two or eight with just as much justification.

The thing is, it's actually not important because if you're committed to creating a particular scene you can have as many characters in it as you want using Studio's canvasses and Photoshop or your equivalent. Render four characters with your scene. Delete them. Render another four using the same camera in the same scene using canvasses and overlay the results. Render another four if you like and then another four. Repeat ad infinitum.

You will not be able to do any of this in 'a few minutes' unfortunately but the 3060 shouldn't disappoint in terms of what you can render. If you want more the costs start to go up rapidly as I'm sure you are aware!

Post edited by TimberWolf on

Well I am thinking of maybe getting a 16gb 4060 or even just a 12gb. I won't be able to get the ryzen at the same time but I'll probably need a new power system so I can get the GPU first then wait a few more months and get the CPU later along with the power system.  Overlaying multiple renders is a great idea that I have considered along with some of the 'billboard' low   poly count prop figures if I ever wanted to do a large crowd scene .

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

This was rendered on RTX 3060 12GB in 5 minutes and 5 seconds.
    One version of the scene had even two more G8 figures and a Dog 8 and the scene rendered on GPU.