Dforce SC long wavy hair - just stops responding

Hi,

No matter what pose or currant frame or timeline [Dforce SC long wavy hair] it just stops responding.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Does the hair have any subD or geoshells or smoothing with high value?

• This is during simulation? Have you restarted daz Studio - sometimes once dForce hits an error it remains in a precarious state until the application is closed and restarted.

• Using my 1660 Super as the OpenCL device it got to about 15% done after 2'43" and then seems to have stopped, GPU-Z and task manager's graphs both show little or no activity but the memory doesn't seem to be maxed out. I will force quit, assuming it doesn't process the event queue while I am typing, restart, and try the 2080Ti.

• "Not responding", by itself, isn't dire - it just means the application is not processing the event queue - accepting and dealing with messages from Windows about things like mouse clicks on buttons. It isn't good when an application does that, but in itself it just means that the application is busy (and sometimes trying to process the event queue would produce an unacceptable slow-down in whatever is keeping it busy). Not redponding and not making progress with its current taks, however, is another matter.

As far as I can tell DS should grab the event queue periodically (at least each time it updates the progress bar) so an extended break does suggest that some internal loop is stuck and not handing back to the main managment of the simulation.

So far the 2080Ti is up to 50% in a bit over five mninutes, so I think the issue is just complexity. What is the GPU on your system that is being used for dForce (Advanced tab of Simulation Settings? If it is not a very strong card you may need to adjust the settings of the hair to reduce the demands it makes on the system (Parameters pane). 70% complete as I was typing that..

• Actually this is dForce cloth, I as thinking it was dForce hair - as such you can't simplify it the way I was suggesting.

• Maverick_333597Maverick_333597 Posts: 44
    edited October 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

This is during simulation? Have you restarted daz Studio - sometimes once dForce hits an error it remains in a precarious state until the application is closed and restarted.

It's naver gets past memorised pose, however changing  the collision mode  from better to good it dose get to about 30% but it stops after that. This is every time I try, evan after A DS restart.

I'm using a RTX 4090

Post edited by Maverick_333597 on
    edited October 2023

I've used dforce hair before and it works great, the thing I've noticed is the pose it starts with it isn't with it all stand up like all the other hair I used. It comes in like any non dforce hair would.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

There are 2 types of dForce hair. One uses the dForce cloth engine, and the other uses the dForce hair engine.

The 2 types are very different when it comes to the geometry, as dForce cloth hair is classic polygon strips with alpha masks, while dForce hair is made of polylines.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,174

There's a dForce settings (shader preset) within the product, have you applied the preset to the hair surfaces?

• crosswind said:

There's a dForce settings (shader preset) within the product, have you applied the preset to the hair surfaces?

Yes, but I don't see any changes

edited October 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Actually this is dForce cloth, I as thinking it was dForce hair - as such you can't simplify it the way I was suggesting.

How do you tell it dforce cloth and not hair?

• Maverick said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Actually this is dForce cloth, I as thinking it was dForce hair - as such you can't simplify it the way I was suggesting.

How do you tell it dforce cloth and not hair?

dForce hair is strandbased and has a small numbe of guide hairs, which will probably eb what you initially see, which simulate and then more ahirs are interpolated between the guide hairs at render time. The system demands can be reduced by reducing the number of segments per stand (though DS now supports 0-segment iray curves) or by decreasing the number of interpolated hairs (and bumping up their thickness to compensate). Hair made using dForce cloth is just a finished model with strips (or sometimes tubes) for the hair, in strands or aggregated into ribbons that are then transmapped to look like  hairs - as such it is fixed and can't be optimised, unless you have a Decimator license or use an external application to decimate the mesh.