The belt of Out and About Outfit for Genesis 9 is hidding behind the pant

ElorElor Posts: 1,095

Hello,

I'm speaking about this outfit, yesterday's golden ticket:

https://www.daz3d.com/out-and-about-outfit-for-genesis-9

This outfit's pant offers pockets morphs, so, obviously, I had to try it but for a reason I can't explain, the pant's textures is hidding the belt's own, here, just over the hand of the character.

Here's a picture of the problem:

I tried to look for the belt, to see if a smoothing modifier with the pant as a target would help, but it's not an independant item: I only found a surface for it among the pant's surfaces, which means I can hide the belt, but the pant doesn't look that great without it because it was created with the belt in mind.

I also tried to disable the pant's smoothing modifier, but while it improve the belt situation a bit, it completly ruins the 'hands in pocket' effect.

I'm sure I can fix the situation with Affinity Photo and the cloning tool, but is there something to do in Daz ?

Or is it something only the PA can improve / fix ?

Problem.jpg
800 x 800 - 188K
Post edited by Elor on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,174
    edited September 2023

I would say it's a poke-thru resulting from the body morph you use on G9. It's not G9 base figure, correct?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • you could fix that with something like meshgrabber or a Dformer but that's not the point

the PA needs to tweak their morph

• ElorElor Posts: 1,095
    edited September 2023

crosswind said:

I would say it's a poke-thru resulting from the body morph you use on G9. It's not G9 base figure, correct?

It's Mira 9, with the Natural Movements Pack for Genesis 9 activated (I'm in the middle of a render, I can't check if disabling that pack solve or not the problem: it caused problems with close fitting clothes before, but usually, it was skin showing through clothes).

I changed the pose a bit, which reduced the problem:

Problem_02.jpg
    470 x 470 - 65K
    Post edited by Elor on
    edited September 2023

Yeah, body morph and pose will both influence the geometry so that the poke-thru area may change. As Wendy said, if you have Mesh Grabber, you may just push it in a bit.  Or use dFormer or Rigidity Group but that'll be a bit cumbersome.

If you know to use Blender, that'll be also easy to fix it. The PA should've provided some popular Body Morphs with the pants...

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the product is supporting various characters according to the list of supported body shapes.

Mira is not among them and I didn't know it could create this kind of problem, so I didn't think about using one that was supported. I'll see what happen with an officially supported body shapes

Regarding Blender, I know how to install and launch it on my computer, but that's about it blush, I don't have Mesh Grabber and I don't know how to use the other tools you're speaking about.

Elor said:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but the product is supporting various characters according to the list of supported body shapes.

Mira is not among them and I didn't know it could create this kind of problem, so I didn't think about using one that was supported. I'll see what happen with an officially supported body shapes

Regarding Blender, I know how to install and launch it on my computer, but that's about it blush, I don't have Mesh Grabber and I don't know how to use the other tools you're speaking about.

I recorded a quick video to show you how to fix the poke-thru with Blender, pretty simple. You may take a look if you'd like. https://mega.nz/file/jehHzbbZ#1AZLd-ll3uUx9bXPqORp0c6viqfYgXeVQT3atZ3RccE

Thank you very much for your video yes

I don't have the time to try doing it myself right now, but I watched it and I'll definitely take the time to do it later: it's seem like a usefull skill to know smiley

Elor said:

Thank you very much for your video yes

I don't have the time to try doing it myself right now, but I watched it and I'll definitely take the time to do it later: it's seem like a usefull skill to know smiley

No problem. You're welcomecool 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

crosswind said:

Elor said:

I recorded a quick video to show you how to fix the poke-thru with Blender, pretty simple. You may take a look if you'd like. https://mega.nz/file/jehHzbbZ#1AZLd-ll3uUx9bXPqORp0c6viqfYgXeVQT3atZ3RccE

Thanks for the video! At least I can now use Blender to fix pokethru.

I got a great laugh when you said Blender is free and easy to learn, LOL. You have no idea how many times I have tried to understand the UI and struggled to do even the most basic operations in Blender. I am fairly well versed in 3DSMax, but with Blender, I am at a loss.

FSMCDesigns said:

crosswind said:

Elor said:

Thanks for the video! At least I can now use Blender to fix pokethru.

I got a great laugh when you said Blender is free and easy to learn, LOL. You have no idea how many times I have tried to understand the UI and struggled to do even the most basic operations in Blender. I am fairly well versed in 3DSMax, but with Blender, I am at a loss.

You're welcome!  I can understand what you feel, especially when a 3dsMax veteran goes for using Blender, seemingly they come from different planets, haha.  Personally I just prefer to using 'lite software', those big ones are too heavy for me.

But I think you may also fix these things in 3dsMax, as I know there're quite a few PAs do the same thing with Maya, Modo, Zbrush, etc.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,842

It's more work to fix the back of the waistband for Mira 9.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,011

What does the belt do, if one changes the Collision Item in Mesh Smoothing from the character to the pants?

I use this all the time with layered clothing.

I loaded the scene, and took a look at Mira's back and indeed, there is some work to do here too.

Is it the same process as the one explained in crosswind's video ?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,011

Elor said:

I loaded the scene, and took a look at Mira's back and indeed, there is some work to do here too.

Is it the same process as the one explained in crosswind's video ?

If you were asking from me, changing Collision Item does not involve Blender or even any DS add-on's, it's just a matter of changing a name of the Collision Item in Parameters tab->General->Mesh Smoothing. (Writing out of memory...) 

edited September 2023

Sorry, it was an answer to @barbult: I didn't saw your message before posting mine.

To answer your question, it was the first thing I tried, but the belt is, as far as I can see, not an independant item: it's part of the pants, and I can only interact with it through the surface panel.

Playing with Mesh Smoothing, I can 'solve' the problem with three pants:

• Pants 1 with the belt hidden, with the mesh smoothing set to Mira.
    • Pants 2 with only the belt and the belt loops visible, with the mesh smoothing set to Pants 1.
    • and a last one with only the belt loops visible, , with the mesh smoothing set to Pants 2.

The last one is needed because, for a reason unknown, the belt loops of Pants 2 are placed behind the belt of Pants 2 when Pants 2's mesh smoothing's target is set to Pants 1. I kept the belt loops visible on all pants to limit the gap between Pants 3's loops and Pants 1.

Result of the three pants approach:

Test.jpg
    800 x 800 - 224K
    Post edited by Elor on
    edited September 2023

Elor said:

Sorry, it was an answer to @barbult: I didn't saw your message before posting mine.

To answer your question, it was the first thing I tried, but the belt is, as far as I can see, not an independant item: it's part of the pants, and I can only interact with it through the surface panel.

Playing with Mesh Smoothing, I can 'solve' the problem with three pants:

• Pants 1 with the belt hidden, with the mesh smoothing set to Mira.
    • Pants 2 with only the belt and the belt loops visible, with the mesh smoothing set to Pants 1.
    • and a last one with only the belt loops visible, , with the mesh smoothing set to Pants 2.

The last one is needed because, for a reason unknown, the belt loops of Pants 2 are placed behind the belt of Pants 2 when Pants 2's mesh smoothing's target is set to Pants 1. I kept the belt loops visible on all pants to limit the gap between Pants 3's loops and Pants 1.

Result of the three pants approach:

Hoho, I should've checked the back of the pants.... You're right, that belt is not a separate figure so colliding won't work on itselft. But your workaround of stacking multi-pants is also fine, as long as the result is acceptable. 

If go for fixing in Blender, more or less the method is similar but a Mask might be neede as the poke-thru on the back is more serious.

• I would suspect the issue is a rigidity Map on the belt, to try to leep it from deforming too babdly from morphs but getting in the way here. Using a dForm, adding a weight map, and then using the existing groups (I assume there is a surface for the belt which could be used as a simple way to target) would be my fix.