DSON Importer for Poser and DAZ Install Manager -help

I like Poser.  Now I have Poser Pro 2014 64-bit and just re-installed it on my new PC (Win7 Pro 64-bit), and so now I'm again installing from my hundreds of old .EXEs and .ZIPs (Figures, Pose, Props, etc.) I've built up since Poser4... including some EXEs & ZIPs that I've never been able to use in Poser because they are the newer DAZ files or "Genesis", or for DS.
Since I got my new PC, which I designed to be good for 3D graphics, I'm determined to get this stuff to work.  So I downloaded DSON for Poser and the DIM (Install Mgr.).  With help from DAZ tech support I think we finally got the DIM to work and DSON installed, though I still don't understand what the DSON actually does or how to use it.   For now it just appears to be a python lurking in my Poser Scripts menu.
DAZ tech support has been great, but they haven't answered all my questions, and so I'm hoping someone in the forum can help...
The DIM is mainly for downloading & installing stuff you buy from DAZ into Poser &/or DS.  Also, in conjunction with DSON, I "guess" the DSON somehow makes the Genesis & new DAZ stuff usable in Poser.  Okay, fine, but that's only for the stuff you buy and download from DAZ.
What about all the files I have on disk now?  How can I put them into the DIM, if necessary, and have them install into Poser, after the DSON somehow makes them usable in Poser?  (I'm talking about the "newer" DAZ content, that is, anything after M4/V4, which won't work in Poser without the DSON Importer for Poser).
So I'm hoping someone here understands the DSON and DIM and can help me to install my EXEs & ZIPs (which are not downloads).  Thank you kindly for any help you can give!

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,792
    edited October 2015

I wouldn't even bother with the exe installers; the DIM works very well, and very fast.  Unfortunately, it only works on DAZ products.  I use 7-zip to install zip files from other stores.  (However, don't install DAZ zips into a runtime folder using it, as they are set up differently; you need to unzip the DAZ zips into a folder, then move out the contents of the Content folder )

Here is a good thread on it, with some pitfalls fallen into; don't install ANY content in c:\Program Files heirachy, for one.. 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41373/install-manager-for-poserpro2012-solved

I have my content organized into separate external runtime folders for each figure (I  do have Genesis 2 males and females installed to the same runtime) which makes finding stuff much easier.  You can set up seperate content installation paths in DIM (see the second post in the linked thread) and switch between them easily...

Post edited by WandW on
  • This is what needs to be done if installing Daz Zip files into poser

Daz Manual downloas 1.jpg
    718 x 419 - 103K
    Daz Manual download 2.jpg
    993 x 459 - 112K