Loading scenes requires Genesis 8 Starter Essentials be downloaded-- every time

the_deCodedMANthe_deCodedMAN Posts: 41

I have been using Daz3d, primarily with Genesis 8 characters, for over a year, and have not re-installed  or changed any of the folder assignments for several months.

Within the past two weeks, when I load certain scenes Daz pops up a window prompting me to download files missing from Genesis 8 Starter Essentials (with the option to Select Minimal Set, Install Selected, or Skip).

I have not re-installed Daz or made any changes to the directories (at least, not intentionally).

I exclusively use the DIM instead of Daz Connect. (The only exception would be during the initial installation and a few assets, but that was over a year ago and since then it's been all DIM.

I have uninstalled then reinstalled Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials, Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials, and Genesis 8 Starter Essentials Mimic (no idea what that is) via DIM, but the issue persists.

I am having difficulty sorting through the logfile to determine what the problem is, so I am attaching a truncated copy of the logfile from the moment the scene is requested to full scene load.

txt
txt
help_logfile.txt
Post edited by the_deCodedMAN on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

So you've already deactivated Daz Connect? If you clicked 'Skip' button, would there be another dialogue box pop up?

You may save it as a new duf file and open it again...

• crosswind said:

So you've already deactivated Daz Connect? If you clicked 'Skip' button, would there be another dialogue box pop up?

You may save it as a new duf file and open it again...

To clarify: I have 'skipped'. I have 'installed'. I have saved as a new .duf. I have loaded other recently created .dufs that have some of the same assets (i'm working on a Daz comic so there are a lot of .duf's with the same assets). But the problem persists.

I have not deactivated Daz Connect. I did not know that was possible, and did not even know it was necessary. I just simply don't use it and install eveerything with DIM.

I checked the Content Library tab in DAz, and under DAZ Studio Formats-->Daz Connect, there are a number of assets (thankfully, not a ton).

So now I have a thread to pull.

1. How does one deactivate Daz Connect? Are we talking about just using the "Work Offline" option, or something further?

2. Should I uninstall any products that show up in Content Library-->DAZ Studio Formats-->Daz Connect?

2a. If so, what would be the easiest, most effective and safest way to do so?

Thank you for your help.

Okay, since you had already decided not to use Daz Connect, you could've completed deactivated it... The cleanest way is to: 1) first uninstall all Could products in Smart Content; 2) Work Offline; 3) press F2 in DS, Startup tab, uncheck 'Show login..' and 'Automatically login...'; 4) install the Product via DIM.

• crosswind said:

Okay, since you had already decided not to use Daz Connect, you could've completed deactivated it... The cleanest way is to: 1) first uninstall all Could products in Smart Content; 2) Work Offline; 3) press F2 in DS, Startup tab, uncheck 'Show login..' and 'Automatically login...'; 4) install the Product via DIM.

Followup question:

How can I reinstall via DIM if I have selected "Work offline" in DS? DIM does not show any products "Ready to Download" once the Daz Connect products have been uninstalled.

the_deCodedMAN said:

crosswind said:

Followup question:

How can I reinstall via DIM if I have selected "Work offline" in DS? DIM does not show any products "Ready to Download" once the Daz Connect products have been uninstalled

Hmm.. the products you bought should be pushed to Ready to Download as long as you've never installed them with DIM... You may first search and check in Installed tab, or go to Manifest Archive folder to check... And try to Fix Installed File Registry as well...

SNAG-2023-9-23-0003.png
    602 x 612 - 50K
  • Found the products through a workaround (just looked in DAz3d at the products that were "Available", found them on the website, clicked thre DIM download option from there for each one).

After re-installing I also took your suggestion and fixed the Install registry.

The "Missing Files" window still popped up wehn loading one of my secenes.

Thinking "maybe it's one of my characers" I decided to save the two main characters as a scene subset and merge them into a new scene as an experiment.

Accidentally saved the whole scene as a scene subset the first time, so wound up with twosubsets; one with just the characters, one with the whole shebang.

Merged the characters into a clean scene. No "Missing Files" prompt.

On a whim started a new scene and merged the "whole shebang" subset into it. Also no "Missing Files" prompt.

What the actual flop.

Started a new scene and merged the original .duf scene file (that I had used to create the "whole shebang" subset). It threw up the "Missing Files prompt as expected.

So started clean, merged the "whole shebang" Subset, saved it as a scene this time.

Started a new scene, loaded the newly saved "whole shebang" scene. No "Missing Files" prompt.

None of this makes any sense. Original DUF is "Missing Files", but saving the entire thing as a Scene Subset then merging it works fine, and when this SS copy is saved as a regular scene it loads fine even though it's basically just the original in all other respects. 

My head is going to explode.

I think you still have chance to check the duf files if you really wanna find out the culprit.  You either -: open the iffy scene file (duf) with Notepad++, esp. check the sections of modifier_library and scene - nodes (may search by 'data'), or: compare the final correct scene file with the iffy one.

I ever encountered the similar issue a couple of years ago when I opened an old scene file dated to the time when I used Daz Connect. I remembered that I just skipped and saved the scene file, then no message further popped up...

Anyway, I believe the 'bug' could be definitely found, only it'll take some time...

• crosswind said:

I think you still have chance to check the duf files if you really wanna find out the culprit.  You either -: open the iffy scene file (duf) with Notepad++, esp. check the sections of modifier_library and scene - nodes (may search by 'data'), or: compare the final correct scene file with the iffy one.

I ever encountered the similar issue a couple of years ago when I opened an old scene file dated to the time when I used Daz Connect. I remembered that I just skipped and saved the scene file, then no message further popped up...

Anyway, I believe the 'bug' could be definitely found, only it'll take some time...

I think I will have to set aside a huge chunk of time to do so.

I created a number of successive scenes, each one built on the previous; no additional assets, just re-posing the figures, repositioning cameras and adjusting lighting, saving, and repeating the process.

And yet, when I did a batch render, the "Missing Files" window popped up after the batch render had successfully loaded & rendered a few scenes.

Thnk you for your suggestions, and if you have any other suggestions about what else i should be looking for specifically when going through the duf I welcome any additional guidance.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

This is what causes the popup

2023-09-22 15:34:47.303 [WARNING] :: Could not resolve: /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Genesis8_1Female.dsf

Which means DS cannot find the Genesis 8.1 Female mesh in the location it is looking for it
    When you install the Starter Essentials with the popup, you are installing the files with Daz Connect, which puts them in a different location from where DIM puts them.

OK, understood. Such a pop-up error will ruin the render queue... I'm 100% sure that the culprit comes from the missing products or files in cloud folder (Daz Connect). I would suggest 2 ways :-

1) assuming you have 100 scene files that have such issues, we resolve one duf file by correcting the data path in it, and then do the same for the rest 99 files by using Batch Replace.
    2) check one duf file to identify what products / files are missing. Then re-activate Daz Connect, install the missing products, then you go for render queue.

Each way has its pros and cons, but the 1st thing is to find out what are missing. You check by yourself or post a scene file in here if you don't mind.