Feel like experimenting... again? Carrara God Rays!!!

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227
edited September 2023 in Carrara Discussion

It's been quite a long time since we got all of these fantastic new features and updates for our beloved Carrara, but many (MANY!!!) of those are real game changers!

One of them that caused quite a stir around here, but seems difficult to get implemented is the God Rays for our Realistic Sky.

Warning, the better the results we get from this, the longer (L O N G E R) it takes to render. But sometimes we don't care about that and just want to do that amazing render!

A great starting point for messing around with this amazing feature is a CAR file from our own Carrara Sky Expert - Tim Payne!

All you need is a ShareCG login and This Link!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

For this one, I set it all up, hit render and walked away. Did something else for a while.

A different technique, this one only took minutes using a lens flare off screen in PD Howler

Using my Badlands Cave System, this one uses the volumetric light from Carrara's Spot Light Light Cone effect, which I use more than anything for making light rays.

Since then, I've learned to use the Gel feature to add dust or fog to the volume - even animated!!!

I know, so far I'm only showing two actual God Ray renders. You'll see why when you start experimenting. 

When I've got a lot of renders to get done and I'm in the middle of it, it's hard to break away from that and wait literally for hours for a test render. But sometimes we really want to break into these relatively (or completely) ignored aspects of Carrara and, who knows? Maybe there's a hidden secret to getting these things working a bit faster. I'm certain that our computers are Much spiffier than they were when this stuff was released. 

The other images and techniques were added to this conversation because I feel that they're very much related.

What if I really want light rays, but I really don't like experimenting with God Rays anymore?

Well, here are two more example (above) that are fully configurable and animation-ready. 

Have fun with Light!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

just superb stuff Dart. And a great choice of subject matter, one we often forget exists. Encouraging me to play with this feature :)

Thanks! :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Thanks for all the great info

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

This "Carrara" program looks pretty good.  wink

Oh... it's Good alright!!! smiley

Loves me my Carrara!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Dartanbeck said:

Now that's well done!

Thanks! That was for one of Mike Moir's 10 sec. animation challenges.