Cant find various V4 materials and Exp Pack

Good morning, having real trouble after a new computer build and reinstallation of Daz and finding V4 materials and expansion pack.  I've attached a couple of screenshots to show the message I'm getting.  I've searched the forums and see there does seem to be problems but having tried out some of the fixes to get other V4 files loading I am now stuck and just can't get the materials and expansion pack to load even though the icons and there as well as the files.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 093936.png
1295 x 728 - 277K
Screenshot 2023-09-20 094031.png
1113 x 410 - 51K
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• gillrogerscreative said:

Good morning, having real trouble after a new computer build and reinstallation of Daz and finding V4 materials and expansion pack.  I've attached a couple of screenshots to show the message I'm getting.  I've searched the forums and see there does seem to be problems but having tried out some of the fixes to get other V4 files loading I am now stuck and just can't get the materials and expansion pack to load even though the icons and there as well as the files.

I suspect that you have put the content where it does not belong. Normally all the product content goes into a collecting folder under C: Documents > some subfolders. [names vary; could be Daz 3D > My Library ; or Daz 3D > Content, whatever. But not into the actual program's folder which I think is what you've got going on there. I don't recall ever having had a Daz3D folder directly on "C" so I could be wrong.

Is this on a Mac or Windows?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

Having the content and app in the same folder hierarchy is the default when installing with DazCentral IIRC. That works fine as long as the content directories have been setup properly in DS preferences.

Can you show us the content libraries you have in DS preferences? (Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory Manager)

• Leana said:

Having the content and app in the same folder hierarchy is the default when installing with DazCentral IIRC. That works fine as long as the content directories have been setup properly in DS preferences.

Can you show us the content libraries you have in DS preferences? (Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory Manager)

Thanks for your help Leana,  In the screenshot above it shows the path of where the content is that Daz says isnt there.  Attached is the screenshot for the CDM.

• Leana said:

Thanks for your help Leana,  In the screenshot above it shows the path of where the content is that Daz says isnt there.  Attached is the screenshot for the CDM.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 103529.png
    488 x 542 - 51K
  • gillrogerscreativegillrogerscreative Posts: 35
    edited September 2023

Catherine3678ab said:

gillrogerscreative said:

I suspect that you have put the content where it does not belong. Normally all the product content goes into a collecting folder under C: Documents > some subfolders. [names vary; could be Daz 3D > My Library ; or Daz 3D > Content, whatever. But not into the actual program's folder which I think is what you've got going on there. I don't recall ever having had a Daz3D folder directly on "C" so I could be wrong.

Sorry Catherine, missed this one.  This is with Windows 11.  The Daz3D folder is where the installer put Daz automatically.  It always has done Ive found.  Always thought it wasnt right.

Post edited by gillrogerscreative on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,241
    edited September 2023

gillrogerscreative said:

Catherine3678ab said:

gillrogerscreative said:

Sorry Catherine, missed this one.  This is with Windows 11.  The Daz3D folder is where the installer put Daz automatically.  It always has done Ive found.  Always thought it wasnt right.

As per Leana  apparently it is normal for the DazCentra installation method [that's one I have never used].

I do recall from the days long ago [D/S3] that for some products we had to be careful that they were installed to the same folder structure as the one holding the main figure. [Some would have multiple Runtimes; but only one has the actual V4 geometry, etc.] {I don't think this factors in here though}

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Do you log in to Daz Studio?

Daz Connect inside DS could be messing with the content.

• PerttiA said:

Do you log in to Daz Studio?

Daz Connect inside DS could be messing with the content.

yes Pertti 

• Moved to Technical Help as it is not a Daz Studio application topic.

The base Victoria 4 does not have a Connect install option.

edited September 2023

Ok, (you should not do that)

If you go to "D:\gillr\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\Cloud\" with Windows Explorer and search for "Makeup_Darkness", do you find it there?

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiA said:

Ok, (you should not do that)

If you go to "D:\gillr\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\Cloud\" with Windows Explorer and search for "Makeup_Darkness", do you find it

so I shouldn't be logged in? Ok.   No all I've got in there are a ton of jpgs and json files.

If one uses external installation methods (DIM, Daz Central, Manual installation), one should never log in to Daz Studio.

Logging in to Daz Studio is necessary only when one has made a concious decision of using Daz Connect inside DS as their primary method of installing content, and if that is the case, there is no point in using the external installation methods as they just double the used storage space and anything installed with Daz Connect will take priority, even when the Daz Connect installed content is not working.

Do you have any folders in that location? I think they were named "0_XXXXX", where XXXXX is the SKU of the product.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

Catherine3678ab said:

I do recall from the days long ago [D/S3] that for some products we had to be careful that they were installed to the same folder structure as the one holding the main figure. [Some would have multiple Runtimes; but only one has the actual V4 geometry, etc.] {I don't think this factors in here though}

You recall correctly, V4 base and all her morph packs which use Exp technology need to be installed in the same content library (that's the main reason you can't install V4 and her morphs with Connect which installs each product to a separate directory structure), and the base V4 should be installed in only one content library. Otherwise you might end up which morphs not detected or not working properly.

• PerttiA said:

If one uses external installation methods (DIM, Daz Central, Manual installation), one should never log in to Daz Studio.

Logging in to Daz Studio is necessary only when one has made a concious decision of using Daz Connect inside DS as their primary method of installing content, and if that is the case, there is no point in using the external installation methods as they just double the used storage space and anything installed with Daz Connect will take priority, even when the Daz Connect installed content is not working.

Do you have any folders in that location? I think they were named "0_XXXXX", where XXXXX is the SKU of the product.

No there's no folders at all.

edited September 2023

Leana said:

Catherine3678ab said:

You recall correctly, V4 base and all her morph packs which use Exp technology need to be installed in the same content library (that's the main reason you can't install V4 and her morphs with Connect which installs each product to a separate directory structure), and the base V4 should be installed in only one content library. Otherwise you might end up which morphs not detected or not working properly.

I installed v4 base etc manually into the same content library. I can load v4 and power load all her morphs and the standard res materials load.  Just the hi res and another set of materials don't and they where installed manually too.

• Ooh new day today and just read through my problem from yesterday.  I had a bad headache yesterday due to stormy weather and didn't spot my error.  I meant to say that it's the standard res and high res texture files that won't load. The SAMPLE res files do! sorry for any confusion. 

If I uninstall everything and then reinstall, what's the best way to ensure v4 and all her files load properly when I come to use them. It's confusing when there are so many ways to install. And both the install applications and the v4 installer install to different places. 

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

• The base Victoria 4, the morph expansions, and any characters descibing themselves as using the ExP system all have to be installed to the same content directory (which means DIM, Daz central, or manual). I would recommend installing the powerLoader add-ons for the morph sets as that allows you to use them without having to fiddle around with the updata, and to load the morphs at the outset rather than having to inject them.

• Richard Haseltine said:

The base Victoria 4, the morph expansions, and any characters descibing themselves as using the ExP system all have to be installed to the same content directory (which means DIM, Daz central, or manual). I would recommend installing the powerLoader add-ons for the morph sets as that allows you to use them without having to fiddle around with the updata, and to load the morphs at the outset rather than having to inject them.

The power loaded add on is installed and loads the morph sets fine.  It's the hi res and standard res materials that won't work. They are installed and are actually showing in the content manager, they just won't load and I get a message saying the file can't be found. 

edited September 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

The base Victoria 4, the morph expansions, and any characters descibing themselves as using the ExP system all have to be installed to the same content directory (which means DIM, Daz central, or manual). I would recommend installing the powerLoader add-ons for the morph sets as that allows you to use them without having to fiddle around with the updata, and to load the morphs at the outset rather than having to inject them.

The power loaded add on is installed and loads the morph sets fine.  It's the hi res and standard res materials that won't work. They are installed and are actually showing in the content manager and they are all installed to the same loctation, they just won't load and I get a message saying the file can't be found. 

• Well im stumped.  Ive tried reinstalling and nothing is making any differance.

• ? Maybe just go over to the Surfaces Tab and manually apply all the textures, make a new Mat preset.

• Catherine3678ab said:

? Maybe just go over to the Surfaces Tab and manually apply all the textures, make a new Mat preset.

How do I manually apply them. I know how to make a preset. Have I understood you correctly? Do you mean from the preset cos I'm lousy at making my own textures lol

• gillrogerscreative said:

Catherine3678ab said:

? Maybe just go over to the Surfaces Tab and manually apply all the textures, make a new Mat preset.

How do I manually apply them. I know how to make a preset. Have I understood you correctly? Do you mean from the preset cos I'm lousy at making my own textures lol

In the scene have the target selected, on the Surfaces Tab look at all the dials that have images on them. There's a little square box, click on that and "browse" to the location where the images are really located. Select the image. Repeat for each image. Then File > Save As > ... mat preset.

• Catherine3678ab said:

gillrogerscreative said:

Catherine3678ab said:

In the scene have the target selected, on the Surfaces Tab look at all the dials that have images on them. There's a little square box, click on that and "browse" to the location where the images are really located. Select the image. Repeat for each image. Then File > Save As > ... mat preset.

Dont know what Ive done but its all working now. :)

• Well that's the important part! Congrats :-)