3D Printing Making DAZ model manifold

leo04leo04 Posts: 325

I am struggling with making my models manifold. I have a Creality printer and have read many tutorials on how to make DAZ models manifold using Blender but it fails miserably.

In addition to this using Daz to Blender makes some very confusing conversions.

I am using Windows 11, DAZ Studio version 4.21 Blender 3.4 and used the FBX 2014 binary in the DAZ to Blender routine.  I tried ASCII as well, same result.

What am I doing wrong?

See Images

2023-09-17_180115.png
2023-09-17_180234.png
2023-09-17_211241.png
Post edited by leo04 on

Comments

• Why not just export via OBJ? FBX and Blender have never mixed very well because of the license incompatibility...

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325
    edited September 2023

I have finally found a process to make my DAZ models Manifold.

Create an OBJ and export from DAZ.  Be sure during the export process to write each object separately, this is very important!

Import into Blender.

Make sure your 3D Print addon is active if not make it so.

The next step is what I was missing in the process that makes it work.

Check EACH item and clean it up using the "Make Manifold" command.

You need to do this for EACH item of your model, this is why you want to write each item when you export it to OBJ from DAZ.

Once you have done this, and each item is checked with the results for Non Manifold Edges and Bad Contiguouios Edges is Zero,

EXPORT your model to the STL format. (By the way your model is not Manifold, yet).

If you don't follow this process it will probably fail to become manifold during the next part of the process.

Now, with your STL file created Open it into 3D Builder from Microsoft.

Click ADD then Load Object.

Now this is an important step, across the top of the window are several commands, one is Import Model, click it.

If your model is not manifold a red square will appear and at the lower right of the window a Tool box will open saying

One or more objects are invalidly defined

Click here to repair.

Click the box.

This process might take a few minutes or longer but it will eventually make your model manifold. Be patient, the process is slow and the process complete indicator is not great but It is working.

Once your model has processed save it, I use either STL or 3MF but it is up to you. It is recommended by most slicers to use STL.

After you have saved your model open it in your slicer. You should not see a message that your model is not manifold. If you do go back and repeat the process.

I have had to do that a few times because I missed an object in the Blender part of the process.

I have used this process a number of times now, and it has worked every time.

I hope this helps someone having issues like I was.

Now your model should be manifold.

Thanks.

Post edited by leo04 on