Export character from Win to Mac (FaceGen)

Hello 

I am quite new to Daz and had a question about exporting a character I created to use in Daz Studio for Mac. 

I made a character on my virtual windows computer with a custom face mesh/textures from FaceGen. I did this for the explicit purpose of creating a custom face in FaceGen which i know is not available on Mac.

The virtual windows computer is very slow so I'd love to bring the character onto my Mac to use Daz Studio there. And eventually bring this character into Unreal Engine. 

Could someone walk me through the steps to achieve this? 

Thank you!

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,764
    edited September 2023

As someone that uses Daz on both Mac and Windows you don't need to do anything fancy. Just make sure you save all relevant assets to a base library that is setup the same on both machines. So, either a networked drive or an external drive that you can move from one machine to the other - or, since you are using a virtual machine, having the shared base library on a partition/mount that is available to both the bare metal OS and the virtual machine.

EDIT: missed the bit about Unreal Engine first time - I know nothing about that part so cannot help there.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • Thank you! Is there any easy way to "package" them up? 

SofaCitizen said:

As someone that uses Daz on both Mac and Windows you don't need to do anything fancy. Just make sure you save all relevant assets to a base library that is setup the same on both machines. So, either a networked drive or an external drive that you can move from one machine to the other - or, since you are using a virtual machine, having the shared base library on a partition/mount that is available to both the bare metal OS and the virtual machine.

EDIT: missed the bit about Unreal Engine first time - I know nothing about that part so cannot help there.\

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

The facegen shape should be saved as a morph, somewhere where it is also available on the other computer.

Then you can save a character preset, you can load on the other machine.

• picklesolution said:

Thank you! Is there any easy way to "package" them up?

I don't think so, there is Content Package Assist but I don't have it so cannot speak to how far it's features extend.

On the one and only occasion I have made something to be distributed, I made a new base library just for that product and built the folder structure for the required elements (textures and daz files etc) and so I could place the files where they needed to be, test it myself and then zip up that whole base library. This was from a recommendation I read at the time, but there might be better ways or products that I don't know about to make things easier.