Older Bryce

Hi...

Was just wondering if there were any older versions to download?

Thanks

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296

No, not to my knowledge.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2015

NO.  Bryce 7 pro is now the only version available  http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro

Daz 3D is the only place you can legally get Bryce as it has been a dowload rather than a physical copy since Daz 3D took it on, ie 5.5 onwards.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Genuine retail box copies of the older versions come up for sale now and then. There's an example of MetaCreations "Bryce 3D" (i.e. version 3) available via Amazon Prime in the US as I type.

Although legal to buy, be aware that there is no support at all. Sometimes old software simply won't install on newer computers - you could end up with an expensive beer mat.

Pretty much just for collectors or the very curious.

Best to buy 7 Pro from the store here (Windows and older Mac only). For what you get it's a brazen steal at 20 bucks, and then it's often on sale - sometimes more than 50% off.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Bryce 5 is really the oldest version that is useful, as it has trees and metaballs and things. It is also the last version BD (that's Before Daz).

• Yes, pretty much. Even then it's likely that a retail box version of (Corel) Bryce 5 will be the original release version and not the 5.01 update (which was significant). I just checked on Corel's site and Bryce is not listed under their legacy support items. So again, buyer beware.

I still keep Bryce 4 active. That is the last version in which you can overlap spheres with volume materials and not have horrendous render artifacts. Big clouds can be made.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Understanding you are looking for an online, downloadable version, I got Bryce 5 for free on a CD (came with the magazine) several years ago - see this 2006 article . Might they still have previous copies, or the CDs, available? I doubt it, but worth asking them.

Jay